We may as well get Hammered - Carawotsit cup (A) 19 Sept

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

User avatar
BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 21806
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: We may as well get Hammered - Carawotsit cup (A) 19 Sept

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:28 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:43 am
I knew you'd be onto this because we disagreed about it last season. I, and everyone else I imagine, am sick of your know-it-all bollocks for the record.
Come to Bradford and talk to their fans about Parky. Not the reactionary internet wankers, but the ones who thank him for what he did, but were just fed up of watching boring football.
I like to see both sides, because there really is more than one you know.
Why would I talk to Bradford fans?

Fed up of watching boring football. I tell you what, for 5 years before Parky I was sick of watching us be utterly incapable of winning anything. Last season was at the very least respite from the 5 years of "lets play nice stuff and lose week in week out".

Good teams are boring. Winning teams are boring. Any chance we have to survive this season will be playing the most horrible, defensive negative stuff you can imagine. There is no possibility we're going to play our way to safety. None at all.

You will be bored whatever manager rocks up. Bored until we're winning week in week out playing free flowing football (how many teams have you seen do that in football today?). The very highest level of football in this country is dominated currently by functional teams...with little bits of quality. I watched Chelsea a lot last season they were not very often free flowing nor exciting to watch. Same with Man Utd this year. To be more entertaining we need better players in the side. Ameobi will help. Parkinson makes the best out of what he has got available. Generally. Not always. But if anything his mistake was thinking we could play 2 up in this league. And thinking that Le Fondre/Armstrong were good bets when really we needed something more suitable than Madine.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 13843
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: We may as well get Hammered - Carawotsit cup (A) 19 Sept

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:35 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:50 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:23 pm
Ah well, on we bat. I'd have liked to see Jake Turner - I see Howard made one save all night, bless him - but hey ho, on we go.
Me too. I liked the look of Howard until his injury last season but he was flattered by our defence. He's looking more Rachubka since then though. Don't rate Alnwick either. I'd have offered them both for loan, kept whichever didn't go and used Amos since we're probably paying almost all his wages anyway. Get a coach and an optician to work with him, and I don't mean that facetiously.
Talent wise he has the potential.
Now though Turner would be on the firing line but I doubt he'd be singled out for the odd mistake. Might be the making of him. And his price tag.
Aye. The Legendary Flanners was wondering the other day if Amos was the best keeper we had, and suggesting more or less exactly the idea you delineate above. When I noted that Amos can't save shots from outside the box, he suggested it might be nice to have them saved from inside the box, and looking at the figures he's got a point.

Anyway yeah I'd have played Turner. Being a kid, he would have got a lot more slack for any mistakes; if he played well it would have given us a realistic option for the league (whereas dropping both Alnwick and Howard for a league game would be a major statement) - and it might just have added a nought.

Oh but one tiny little thing: he'd be in the line of fire, not the firing line (who were the blokes pointing the guns). :D

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7698
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: We may as well get Hammered - Carawotsit cup (A) 19 Sept

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:39 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:28 am
LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:43 am
I knew you'd be onto this because we disagreed about it last season. I, and everyone else I imagine, am sick of your know-it-all bollocks for the record.
Come to Bradford and talk to their fans about Parky. Not the reactionary internet wankers, but the ones who thank him for what he did, but were just fed up of watching boring football.
I like to see both sides, because there really is more than one you know.
Why would I talk to Bradford fans?

Fed up of watching boring football. I tell you what, for 5 years before Parky I was sick of watching us be utterly incapable of winning anything. Last season was at the very least respite from the 5 years of "lets play nice stuff and lose week in week out".

Good teams are boring. Winning teams are boring. Any chance we have to survive this season will be playing the most horrible, defensive negative stuff you can imagine. There is no possibility we're going to play our way to safety. None at all.

You will be bored whatever manager rocks up. Bored until we're winning week in week out playing free flowing football (how many teams have you seen do that in football today?). The very highest level of football in this country is dominated currently by functional teams...with little bits of quality. I watched Chelsea a lot last season they were not very often free flowing nor exciting to watch. Same with Man Utd this year. To be more entertaining we need better players in the side. Ameobi will help. Parkinson makes the best out of what he has got available. Generally. Not always. But if anything his mistake was thinking we could play 2 up in this league. And thinking that Le Fondre/Armstrong were good bets when really we needed something more suitable than Madine.
Yes why would want to look into anything that doesn't dovetail perfectly with your blinkered one eyed view?
Until you you get a new blinkered one eyed view of course and pretend you never really stuck slavishly to the last one. Yawn.
Oh, but surely just for one day, we could fight and we could win
And if only for a little while, we could insist on the impossible...

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7698
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: We may as well get Hammered - Carawotsit cup (A) 19 Sept

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:40 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:35 am
LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:50 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:23 pm
Ah well, on we bat. I'd have liked to see Jake Turner - I see Howard made one save all night, bless him - but hey ho, on we go.
Me too. I liked the look of Howard until his injury last season but he was flattered by our defence. He's looking more Rachubka since then though. Don't rate Alnwick either. I'd have offered them both for loan, kept whichever didn't go and used Amos since we're probably paying almost all his wages anyway. Get a coach and an optician to work with him, and I don't mean that facetiously.
Talent wise he has the potential.
Now though Turner would be on the firing line but I doubt he'd be singled out for the odd mistake. Might be the making of him. And his price tag.
Aye. The Legendary Flanners was wondering the other day if Amos was the best keeper we had, and suggesting more or less exactly the idea you delineate above. When I noted that Amos can't save shots from outside the box, he suggested it might be nice to have them saved from inside the box, and looking at the figures he's got a point.

Anyway yeah I'd have played Turner. Being a kid, he would have got a lot more slack for any mistakes; if he played well it would have given us a realistic option for the league (whereas dropping both Alnwick and Howard for a league game would be a major statement) - and it might just have added a nought.

Oh but one tiny little thing: he'd be in the line of fire, not the firing line (who were the blokes pointing the guns). :D
I was not aware of that.
Wish we had a firing line as well as the other!
Oh, but surely just for one day, we could fight and we could win
And if only for a little while, we could insist on the impossible...

User avatar
BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 21806
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: We may as well get Hammered - Carawotsit cup (A) 19 Sept

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:49 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:39 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:28 am
LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:43 am
I knew you'd be onto this because we disagreed about it last season. I, and everyone else I imagine, am sick of your know-it-all bollocks for the record.
Come to Bradford and talk to their fans about Parky. Not the reactionary internet wankers, but the ones who thank him for what he did, but were just fed up of watching boring football.
I like to see both sides, because there really is more than one you know.
Why would I talk to Bradford fans?

Fed up of watching boring football. I tell you what, for 5 years before Parky I was sick of watching us be utterly incapable of winning anything. Last season was at the very least respite from the 5 years of "lets play nice stuff and lose week in week out".

Good teams are boring. Winning teams are boring. Any chance we have to survive this season will be playing the most horrible, defensive negative stuff you can imagine. There is no possibility we're going to play our way to safety. None at all.

You will be bored whatever manager rocks up. Bored until we're winning week in week out playing free flowing football (how many teams have you seen do that in football today?). The very highest level of football in this country is dominated currently by functional teams...with little bits of quality. I watched Chelsea a lot last season they were not very often free flowing nor exciting to watch. Same with Man Utd this year. To be more entertaining we need better players in the side. Ameobi will help. Parkinson makes the best out of what he has got available. Generally. Not always. But if anything his mistake was thinking we could play 2 up in this league. And thinking that Le Fondre/Armstrong were good bets when really we needed something more suitable than Madine.
Yes why would want to look into anything that doesn't dovetail perfectly with your blinkered one eyed view?
Until you you get a new blinkered one eyed view of course and pretend you never really stuck slavishly to the last one. Yawn.
Why would I need to ask Bradford fans anything. Be like asking PT about Sam Allardyce during his last year here. Would be absolutely pointless. Anyhow hopefully they're all enjoying McCall and their entertaining football. I'm 100% positive I enjoyed last season more than they did.

Best managers around right now at clubs similar to ourselves...Pulis, Dyche. Neither known for entertaining. But they are known for building effective sides. Like Allardyce.

We played good stuff last season when we had the quality in the side able to do so. This year we're short on any sort of quality for this league.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7698
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: We may as well get Hammered - Carawotsit cup (A) 19 Sept

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:18 pm

I don't 'need' to ask Bradford fans anything, but the ones I work with are intelligent people with opinions that interest me. I like to hear the opinions of others and question my own, often with disagreements and a bit of humour at each other's expense.
Which is about as far from a description of this discussion as possible.
Oh, but surely just for one day, we could fight and we could win
And if only for a little while, we could insist on the impossible...

User avatar
BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 21806
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: We may as well get Hammered - Carawotsit cup (A) 19 Sept

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:02 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:18 pm
I don't 'need' to ask Bradford fans anything, but the ones I work with are intelligent people with opinions that interest me. I like to hear the opinions of others and question my own, often with disagreements and a bit of humour at each other's expense.
Which is about as far from a description of this discussion as possible.
Being influenced by fans who have been "scorned" is pointless. Of course Bradford fans will make out they're much happier. Perhaps they are. Good luck to them.

How happy were you with Mr 'lets play good open football and attack teams' Coyle? Fact is that Parky worked utter miracles last season. The reductive argument of "our squad was nailed on for promotion it was so good" is as short sighted as sacking Parky would be now. The very same people were the ones who wanted every single "loser got rid of" and the end of the previous season. Parky turned a losing squad into a winning one. Restored pride that had long since been lost. He did all that whilst being unable to spend a single penny on transfer fees. Whilst losing his better players in January and rebuilding the team three times during the season.

He's then come into the championship with a squad that was decent in league one, but the quality gap between the two leagues is very, very apparent. To all who watched our players perform in the championship last time and league one last season the difference is very clear. We came up and still couldn't spend anything and our wage bill and squad size was even further restricted. Is the end result not obvious? Especially when you add to it key players being injured at the start.

The only team that finished below us last year currently in our league were Millwall. They along with every other team (bar QPR) have spent money whilst we haven't. We are broadly performing where you'd expect.

Do I think Parky is perfect and every decision he's made right? Of course not. I don't blindly defend him. I do think that there are serious mitigating circumstances and a track record here that mean he's worth this season and next regardless what happens. Long termism may just pay off.

Also just watched back the Iles facebook live from earlier - he suggests we may not actually be out of embargo, in that we might not still be allowed to sign anyone else....food for some serious thought!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7698
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: We may as well get Hammered - Carawotsit cup (A) 19 Sept

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:40 pm

No. Just no. 😀
Oh, but surely just for one day, we could fight and we could win
And if only for a little while, we could insist on the impossible...

User avatar
Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18227
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: We may as well get Hammered - Carawotsit cup (A) 19 Sept

Post by Prufrock » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:11 pm

Setting aside the pointlessness of having a separate sub forum for match threads, why are they turning unread from the beginning?
Dayman (ah-ah-ah),
Fighter of the nightman (ah-ah-ah),
Champion of the sun (ah-ah-ah),
You're a master of karate,
And friendship,
For everyone.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest