Another Aussie

My name is ..... and I'm a Boltonoholic....It won't make you better but at least you're not alone.....New to the site? Then introduce yourself here............

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Horza
Reliable
Reliable

Another Aussie

Post by Horza » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:36 am

Hey all,

I am a non-expat, non-family Trotter from Sydney.

A re-convert* I started rooting for the Whites during the Australian Football Renaissance of 2005. Initially to piss off my ManU/'Pool/Arse/Chelsea-supporting mates (so much for Aussies loving an underdog: farken everyone down here goes for the Big Four) but have developed a deep admiration for the pride and the sprit with which we play. In a league where hype has become the main product, it's great to support a team so long on history and short on delusions (mostly). Having a masochistic streak helps too :wink:.

Access to games is a little spotty down here if you don't have Pay TV, but you'll run into my half-formed opinions soon enough, until then, cheers!

* played as a kid in the legendary Marrickville Red Devils U/8-U/10s but lost interest in my teens

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:08 am

Welcom Horza. We have a few Aussie's here. Throw in a bit more about yourself and don't forget to join in the forums. Get posting. :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:12 am

G'day. Throw another shrimp on the barbie and crack a tinnie, sport!

Or Hello.
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:31 am

Welcome.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:33 am

G'day Sport.

I'm thinking of taking a trip over to Oz next year to watch the Ashes....

...because it'll be cheaper than over here, smart arses
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:37 am

So it wasn't the thought of watching Con Boutsianis that made you want to watch the whites?

Hello, anyway...
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:40 am

alreet
Businesswoman of the year.

Horza
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Horza » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:51 am

Lord K: Sounds like a plan... you'll be a few thousand miles from the action, but the beer's better, cheaper too :wink:
Puskas wrote:So it wasn't the thought of watching Con Boutsianis that made you want to watch the whites?

Hello, anyway...
Unfortunately not, didn't pay much attention to NSL until a bit before it imploded so I missed the Shark Fin trial and the other batshit crazy stuff that made Australia's first nationwide football comp such a compelling (off-field) spectacle :cry:

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:06 pm

Horza wrote:Lord K: Sounds like a plan... you'll be a few thousand miles from the action, but the beer's better, cheaper too :wink:
Puskas wrote:So it wasn't the thought of watching Con Boutsianis that made you want to watch the whites?

Hello, anyway...
Unfortunately not, didn't pay much attention to NSL until a bit before it imploded so I missed the Shark Fin trial and the other batshit crazy stuff that made Australia's first nationwide football comp such a compelling (off-field) spectacle :cry:
Methinks you've an article to write sonny Jim. That sh*t sounds great! :mrgreen:
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:11 pm

Welcome Horza - same trouble with games on tv here but sometimes there are streams and highlights. What part of Oz are you from?
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:42 pm

Welcome, chum. As has been said, we have a few Oz-based Whites on here. We also have a few far-flung "new" supporters, ie not ex-pats or members of the Daubhill Diaspora. Interesting to hear your story as to why you're now a Wanderer. Welcome aboard, both team and site.

Horza
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Horza » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:03 pm

enfieldwhite wrote:
Horza wrote:Lord K: Sounds like a plan... you'll be a few thousand miles from the action, but the beer's better, cheaper too :wink:

Hello, anyway...
Methinks you've an article to write sonny Jim. That sh*t sounds great! :mrgreen:
Done - unfortunately some of the resources are no longer online, but should be worth a chuckle...

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:29 am

G'day, Horza, welcome aboard, but mind the gap.

There is indeed a small contingent from Oz somewhere in the upper deck though they've been a bit quiet of late. Probably gone walkabout or some such - you know what it's like when you travel first class.

Are you still in the Marrickville area? If it's not obvious from the guff over on the left, I'm in the lower Blue Mountains (I'm also a Bolton expatriate, but got my transfer back in '55).

Yes, the TV coverage of the EPL is dire. I cannot get pay TV where I live, other than satellite, and the cost of same would probably convince me not to subscribe anyway. Hence this site is a rather wonderful link to like minded people back 'home'.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:50 am

Hello, anyway...
Whooa hang on. Are you having a fooking laugh?

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:22 pm

Another? The board's gonna be busier in the night at this stage :mrgreen:

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:51 am

Dujon wrote:G'day, Horza, welcome aboard, but mind the gap.

There is indeed a small contingent from Oz somewhere in the upper deck though they've been a bit quiet of late. Probably gone walkabout or some such - you know what it's like when you travel first class.

Are you still in the Marrickville area? If it's not obvious from the guff over on the left, I'm in the lower Blue Mountains (I'm also a Bolton expatriate, but got my transfer back in '55).

Yes, the TV coverage of the EPL is dire. I cannot get pay TV where I live, other than satellite, and the cost of same would probably convince me not to subscribe anyway. Hence this site is a rather wonderful link to like minded people back 'home'.
Really? Now, you see, my sister-in-law and her husband - a Bolton fan and the reason I met my wife - live in Melbourne. He says he see the Whites on telly more over there than he ever did over here (another former London White). Honestly thought the TV coverage of the EPL is better anywhere other than the place it actually takes place.

And welcome Horza. The more the merrier.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you