Hello everyone!

My name is ..... and I'm a Boltonoholic....It won't make you better but at least you're not alone.....New to the site? Then introduce yourself here............

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:48 am

East Lower wrote:
thebish wrote:
East Lower wrote:He's still pretty big for a supposed athlete.
the word "athlete" (if it simply means somebody who regularly participates in sport) is utterly meaningless to judge appropriate size of body frame.
He makes his living through athletic endeavours, but does not appear to have the physical frame that one might expect from someone who spends a lot of his time running at a fairly high intensity. I've no doubt that he's fit, but I find it hard to see the fault in calling him a big ol'unit
you can call him a big ol' unit - but saying he is big "for an athlete" is meaningless - Phil Vickery (not the cook) and Martin Bayfield were "athletes" in the sense tyhat they did lots of running and were involved regularly in sport - but were huge - and nobody would question their size.

you might say he's too big to be a footballer - but even then it'd be pretty meaningless...

if his size is showing a particular problem - then what is the particular problem? do you think his size makes him slow? if so - what weight/size do you think would give him the required pace? some people are slow whatever their size...

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:23 am

thebish wrote:
East Lower wrote:
thebish wrote:
the word "athlete" (if it simply means somebody who regularly participates in sport) is utterly meaningless to judge appropriate size of body frame.
He makes his living through athletic endeavours, but does not appear to have the physical frame that one might expect from someone who spends a lot of his time running at a fairly high intensity. I've no doubt that he's fit, but I find it hard to see the fault in calling him a big ol'unit
you can call him a big ol' unit - but saying he is big "for an athlete" is meaningless - Phil Vickery (not the cook) and Martin Bayfield were "athletes" in the sense tyhat they did lots of running and were involved regularly in sport - but were huge - and nobody would question their size.

you might say he's too big to be a footballer - but even then it'd be pretty meaningless...

if his size is showing a particular problem - then what is the particular problem? do you think his size makes him slow? if so - what weight/size do you think would give him the required pace? some people are slow whatever their size...
Size makes slow, definitely
Weight size ratio - who knows

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:21 pm

East Lower wrote:
thebish wrote:
Bet you thought you'd got away with this didn't you :mrgreen:

Think again!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:50 pm

East Lower wrote: Weight size ratio - who knows
ok... (shut up, Pru!).. How heavy is Nolan now? if he lost half a stone - do you think he would run quicker - to the extent that it had a noticeable effect on the effectiveness of his game? (I don't)

how much pf his "bulk" is muscle - and how much is flab? - people often say Nolamn is fat - but, actually, he isn't - I doubt he has any discernable flab at all.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:09 pm

East Lower wrote:
thebish wrote:
East Lower wrote:
thebish wrote:

Size makes slow, definitely
Weight size ratio - who knows
Usain Bolt is 6' 5" and 207 lbs
Nolan is 5' 11" and 194 lbs.

Just saying, for comparative purposes...
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Rated R Superstar
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rated R Superstar » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:12 pm

Uh oh. I started the Nolan thing again didn't I? :twisted:
Don't call it a comeback

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:28 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote: Usain Bolt is 6' 5" and 207 lbs

said it better than me, Monty - and shorter! :-)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:49 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:Usain Bolt is 6' 5" and 207 lbs

Meaning that Bolt weighs 2.69 lbs per inch of height whereas Nolan weighs 2.73 lbs per inch of height - thus supporting East Lower's theory if any.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:51 pm

thebish wrote:

Well, yes. But 6 inches shorter and only 13 pounds lighter? :mrgreen: Anyway, muscle weighs more than fat. Since I started running (have I ever mentioned this?) I have lost 3 inches from my waist yet weigh only 7 pounds less.

Nolan isn't fat. Bolt isn't fat.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:58 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
thebish wrote:

Well, yes. But 6 inches shorter and only 13 pounds lighter? :mrgreen: Anyway, muscle weighs more than fat. Since I started running (have I ever mentioned this?) I have lost 3 inches from my waist yet weigh only 7 pounds less.

do you go running Gary?

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:12 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
thebish wrote:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:35 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

Meaning that Bolt weighs 2.69 lbs per inch of height whereas Nolan weighs 2.73 lbs per inch of height - thus supporting East Lower's theory if any.
Only if I made the conversion s correctly (Bolt was listed in cms and kgs, while Nolan in stones and pounds) :mrgreen: I wasn't contesting the theory beyond the fact size per se does not make slow.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:39 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

not really...

EL's theory was simple and bold, namely: "Size makes slow, definitely" (I'm a bigger size than my missus - and a lot faster)

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:36 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
thebish wrote:

Should this be on the celebrity crush thread?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:34 pm

thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

not really...

EL's theory was simple and bold, namely: "Size makes slow, definitely" (I'm a bigger size than my missus - and a lot faster)
Ah, so you've avoided it all day until Monty came to bale you out and then gone "Yeah...." :lol:
May the bridges I burn light your way