Hi

My name is ..... and I'm a Boltonoholic....It won't make you better but at least you're not alone.....New to the site? Then introduce yourself here............

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

naios
Hopeful
Hopeful

Hi

Post by naios » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:29 pm

I am a Super-Whites fan from Montreal. Obviously, not too impressed with what I see so far this season. If Lee dumps Anelka, any ideas as far as who they'll be able to pick up on the transfer market to replace him? Or are they going to sit tight for now. Also, when is Campo going to see some playing time?

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:52 pm

all these questions and more are answered around the board.

oh and why not introduce yourself in the new members section
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:04 pm

If we did receive an offer for Anelka that meant he wanted to go, I'm not sure we'd be able to replace him at this stage and would have to rely on Davies, Helguson, Vaz Te, Diouf, Harsanyi, Braaten, and perhaps even Leslie Thompson.

As for Campo - his absence from all first team and reserve squads is a mystery to us all the moment. I reckon he's gone on a bender round the Med with Stelios.

And welcome, by the way - as Commie so helpfully suggested, perhaps you might introduce yourself in the 'New Members' forum, where you will no doubt encounter an erudite gentleman who goes by the name of 'Montreal Wanderer', before long.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Armchair
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Armchair » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:36 pm

Welcome, there seems to be quiet a few Canadian whites fan's these days :o

naios
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by naios » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:28 pm

Thanks all. Sorry about the awkward entrance. I have enjoyed watching and cheering for Bolton since last year. This year, though the major carriers (Sportsnet, etc.) have greatly reduced their EPL coverage which is very frustrating for me. I am looking at somehow getting Sentanta (or whatever its called). I've played football most of my life and continue to play in my advanced (have a young family) age. Next time I make it across the pond I hope I'll be able to attend a fixture - though hopefully it won't be a championship one.

Anyhow, hoping for better times. I have more questions/suggestions but I'll post in the appropriate areas.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:40 pm

Welcome, naios. Post away!

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:12 am

Struth, not another Montréalais? I trust you're not like our kindly named 'Monty' are you - he uses big words of multiple syllables which tends to confuse us no end. :wink:

Welcome aboard, naios, I'm sure that you will enjoy the place.

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:19 am

owdoo

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:36 am

Welcome naios, hope you enjoy the site :D

P.S. Stop sending you're weather over here, thanks.
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:04 pm

:shock:

Un autre? I thought I was one of a kind!

Bienvenue, naios. Why did you become a BWFC fan?
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:05 pm

Hi
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

naios
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by naios » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:07 pm

I really wanted to pick an EPL team to cheer for and for some reason I really enjoyed watching the Wanderers and their hard work last year. I was impressed by Campo's play, so its somewhat puzzling to me that he's pulling the splinters out of his behind. Its also sad to see Ben Haim leave free of charge, but I realize that the team's finances are somewhat limited. If I was to cheer for a team where I have family connections that would have to be Peterborough (but its a tad difficult following them from north America).

Anyhow, I'll keep the faith through this trying period - I am now a committed fan for better or for worse (Montreal Wanderer should be able to relate to that these days as a Habs fan. I am a Flyers fan for those familiar with Ice Hockey).

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:19 pm

Come in and shut the door. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:33 pm

naios wrote:I really wanted to pick an EPL team to cheer for and for some reason I really enjoyed watching the Wanderers and their hard work last year. I was impressed by Campo's play, so its somewhat puzzling to me that he's pulling the splinters out of his behind. Its also sad to see Ben Haim leave free of charge, but I realize that the team's finances are somewhat limited. If I was to cheer for a team where I have family connections that would have to be Peterborough (but its a tad difficult following them from north America).

Anyhow, I'll keep the faith through this trying period - I am now a committed fan for better or for worse (Montreal Wanderer should be able to relate to that these days as a Habs fan. I am a Flyers fan for those familiar with Ice Hockey).
Oh dear. Even worse, though the Flyers were dreadful last year they appear to have improved significantly in the off season (a bit like Man Citeh), while I'm not sure the Habs have (a bit like BWFC).
I'm not sure TBH leaving was entirely to do with wages - the lure of the big four may have had something to do with it.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:56 pm

Welcome!
naios wrote:This year, though the major carriers (Sportsnet, etc.) have greatly reduced their EPL coverage which is very frustrating for me.
Are they showing the MLS instead, now that Toronto are in there?

naios
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by naios » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:00 pm

No actually - they show Toronto on CBC. EPL is shown on Sportsnet and Fox Sports Canada. I am not sure why they've cut back on the coverage - last year Sportsnet showed 3 games on Saturday (not that there's any way my wife would allow me to sit for more than 1, but at least if there was a good fixture on I could watch it), now they only show 1. Now I have to look into getting Sentanta, but that's on a Satellite network here (I am on DC) or Broadband (seems very expensive).

Amongst my friends in popularity: 1) Inter Milan 2) Man U 3) Scouse (grew up and educated there) 4) Sunderland (grew up and educated there) 5) Independiente (Argentina) 6) Olympiacos. Nobody cares about Toronto F.C. in Montreal as far as I know.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:21 pm

naios wrote:No actually - they show Toronto on CBC. EPL is shown on Sportsnet and Fox Sports Canada. I am not sure why they've cut back on the coverage - last year Sportsnet showed 3 games on Saturday (not that there's any way my wife would allow me to sit for more than 1, but at least if there was a good fixture on I could watch it), now they only show 1. Now I have to look into getting Sentanta, but that's on a Satellite network here (I am on DC) or Broadband (seems very expensive).

Amongst my friends in popularity: 1) Inter Milan 2) Man U 3) Scouse (grew up and educated there) 4) Sunderland (grew up and educated there) 5) Independiente (Argentina) 6) Olympiacos. Nobody cares about Toronto F.C. in Montreal as far as I know.
Aye and no reason why they should! I assumed it was a national rather than regional network, but that may be underestimating the size of your country...

I think there's been a slew of renegotiations about foreign broadcast of EPL matches. Which usually means "the price has gone up", and perhaps some networks have given the EPL the Agincourt salute.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:06 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
naios wrote:
Aye and no reason why they should! I assumed it was a national rather than regional network, but that may be underestimating the size of your country...

I think there's been a slew of renegotiations about foreign broadcast of EPL matches. Which usually means "the price has gone up", and perhaps some networks have given the EPL the Agincourt salute.
It is a national network but with five different program possibilities depending on where in our six time zones you are located (with the satellite you can get them all). It's not so so much we don't care about Toronto - indeed we are generally united in wishing them ill - especially the Maple Leafs.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:28 am

The non-EPL situation happened here too, DSB. We have a local broadcaster (SBS - free to air) that airs lots of football and promotes itself that way in the area of sports. They dropped the EPL highlights programme two or three seasons ago as the rights owner was asking too much for the privilege. Whether or not it was picked up by one of the cable mob I don't know as I can't get cable where I live.

jonnybwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by jonnybwfc » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:25 pm

Dujon wrote:The non-EPL situation happened here too, DSB. We have a local broadcaster (SBS - free to air) that airs lots of football and promotes itself that way in the area of sports. They dropped the EPL highlights programme two or three seasons ago as the rights owner was asking too much for the privilege. Whether or not it was picked up by one of the cable mob I don't know as I can't get cable where I live.
Foxsports have picked up the highlights programme ... just watched it this evening. Showed nothing more than our 3 goals, and Sammy's post-match interview.
Djorkaeff ... Djorkaeff must score ... he does ... HE DOES !!!