Lloyd George knows my father

My name is ..... and I'm a Boltonoholic....It won't make you better but at least you're not alone.....New to the site? Then introduce yourself here............

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

William the White
Legend
Legend

Lloyd George knows my father

Post by William the White » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:03 pm

Why support Bolton Wanderers? Didn't have any choice. No say in the matter. That's just how it is. Get used to it, and enjoy it. If you're Jewish you get circumcised, if you're in my family you support the Trotters. We have a season ticket from 1926 in my family - it belonged to my father's great aunt. It cost half price for 'boys and ladies'... One guinea in the posh seats. And there was a Warburton on the Board even then, I kid you not...

My father took me to Burnden Park when i was nine. Now he's 81, and i take him to the match. And, when she's back home, my daughter's with us - she got the bug when eleven. I like that. That continuity. That sense of identity. That endurance. :?

And I like that I sit with a bunch of mates who've been going together for a long time - one of them since both of us were fifteen, and making our first trip to London. We saw all the sights we could cram into a long day, and watched us get beaten by Spurs.

First game? a 4-0 defeat by PNE at home in 1958, floodlit, from the top of the Embankment... Fantastic...

Best game - too many. But a lot of them might involve beating a Team from Stretford. Perhaps beating Liverpool away in the FA Cup replay, 1993, was a vey special game, though, that signalled the return of the club from the unspeakable dross of Divisions 3 and (unbelievably!) 4, and gave us all hope.

Worst game. Too many. But one of them might be 0-6 at home against Newton Heath, on a dull, menacing day on the way to relegation, in an atmosphere as sour as lemons.

Most favourite player ever. For sheer joy - J J on song. For captaincy - Paul Jones. For best bargain - Gudni. For intelligence and vision - Youri. But every division has seen a team with heroes, and the lamentable. Oh, Henry Mowbray runs the most lamentable list pretty high. A crap full back, brought to the club by jimmy Armfield, who, you would have thought, might have know a thing or two about full backery...

Hated player? I can't do hatred. Pull on that white shirt, and you're mine, and even if i can't love you, i'll go on hoping that some day you'll do better, even when the evidence to the contary is overwhelming. I can't boo at the end of a bad defeat. I can't get finger waving furious at incompetence.

I used to do glum and red wine pretty well. But a few seasons ago I decided BW were not going to make me unhappy again. And they don't. Though it can take a real act of will.

I do joy unbridled and red wine very well indeed, though... given the chance.

Been enjoying the site. Will probably join in the chat.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:08 pm

Brilliant introduction WTW, probably the best I've ever read on here :D

Welcome the the site, if every post is as well thought out and as interesting as your intro, you're going to be a great member to have around!
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Lloyd George knows my father

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:20 pm

William the White wrote:Why support Bolton Wanderers? Didn't have any choice. No say in the matter. That's just how it is. Get used to it, and enjoy it. If you're Jewish ...................
William, I kid you not, you've just made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, and have brought goosebumps to my forearms. Cheers, Fella. Welcome.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:24 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
William the White wrote:Why support Bolton Wanderers? Didn't have any choice. No say in the matter. That's just how it is. Get used to it, and enjoy it. If you're Jewish ...................
William, I kid you not, you've just made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, and have brought goosebumps to my forearms. Cheers, Fella. Welcome.
Never had you down as being Jewish Bruce :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:35 pm

Aye - excellent intro WTW - welcome.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:38 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:Never had you down as being Jewish Bruce :D
:lol: I'm not, though I do share the one, perhaps most defining characteristic of the Jewish male, but there's no need to elaborate on here thank-you!

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:01 pm

Brilliant intro, one of the best this site has ever seen!

Welcome, and get stuck in!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:07 pm

Well done your Shakespeareness. A Wandererer with pedigree, glad to have you aboard. :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:11 pm

Alright WW

Welcome

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:13 pm

Welcome William.

Cracking intro. Enjoy the sights of the site. :D
Businesswoman of the year.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:19 pm

Welcome, Oh Bard of Croal - I only regret I shall miss the play unless it goes off broadway.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:22 pm

By the way, just to clarify; Did Lloyd George really know your father? :conf:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:26 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:By the way, just to clarify; Did Lloyd George really know your father? :conf:
More likely a reference to this:
This is the title of a play by William Douglas Home in 1972. However... credit for the saying is given to Tommy Rhys Roberts QC (who died in 1975), whose father did know Lloyd George because he set up a practice with him in 1897.

Of course it's likely, knowing Lloyd George's womanising reputation that the original line was "Lloyd George WAS my father".
Amazing what comes out of Llanystwmdwy! In this case a small randy welshman!
or
Lloyd George ("The Welsh goat"), real name, David Lloyd George, was a politician of some note 1890 to 1945 with the liberal party. As a young man, Lloyd George was considered goodlooking which ensured his success with rhe ladies. In 1888 he married Margaret Owen, with whom he had two sons and three daughters, but it was not a happy marriage and he was a notorious philanderer and had several illegitimate children. As the music hall song has it, "Lloyd George knew my father", but the real question it was often more appropriate to ask was, whether he knew your mother!
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:02 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:By the way, just to clarify; Did Lloyd George really know your father? :conf:
More likely a reference to this:
This is the title of a play by William Douglas Home in 1972. However... credit for the saying is given to Tommy Rhys Roberts QC (who died in 1975), whose father did know Lloyd George because he set up a practice with him in 1897.

Of course it's likely, knowing Lloyd George's womanising reputation that the original line was "Lloyd George WAS my father".
Amazing what comes out of Llanystwmdwy! In this case a small randy welshman!
or
Lloyd George ("The Welsh goat"), real name, David Lloyd George, was a politician of some note 1890 to 1945 with the liberal party. As a young man, Lloyd George was considered goodlooking which ensured his success with rhe ladies. In 1888 he married Margaret Owen, with whom he had two sons and three daughters, but it was not a happy marriage and he was a notorious philanderer and had several illegitimate children. As the music hall song has it, "Lloyd George knew my father", but the real question it was often more appropriate to ask was, whether he knew your mother!
See. If you hang around with the right sort. :wink:

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:20 pm

Best introduction since Tony Curtis declared himself to be Spartacus.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:56 pm

Many thanks for the welcomes...
:D

The music hall song 'Lloyd George knows my father' was sung as a goal celebration on the Embankment early in the 1960s. it lasted as a favourite for about two seasons.

It has a dirge-like quality, not entirely inappropriate for those seasons as we crept closer and closer to 1964 and our first relegation in 30 years.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:38 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
:lol: I'm not, though I do share the one, perhaps most defining characteristic of the Jewish male, but there's no need to elaborate on here thank-you!
aye, you're tight as feck!!!!
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:23 am

William the White wrote:Many thanks for the welcomes...
:D

The music hall song 'Lloyd George knows my father' was sung as a goal celebration on the Embankment early in the 1960s. it lasted as a favourite for about two seasons.

It has a dirge-like quality, not entirely inappropriate for those seasons as we crept closer and closer to 1964 and our first relegation in 30 years.
Its an old fave, often brought out when the ale has flowed

In fact, its coming out in Skopje, Thursday

Probably a rendition or two of Strawberry Nose as well
Sto ut Serviam

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:59 am

communistworkethic wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Says the Yorkshirean banker! :shock:

Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:05 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
communistworkethic wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Says the Yorkshirean banker! :shock:
Shocking spelling Bruce! :wink: