Cheers from Seoul

My name is ..... and I'm a Boltonoholic....It won't make you better but at least you're not alone.....New to the site? Then introduce yourself here............

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

midnitefooty
Promising
Promising

Cheers from Seoul

Post by midnitefooty » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:32 am

I used to be a supporter of my hometown bottom-of-the-league team here in Korea until the corporate owners decided to up and move the team to a tiny island in the south, attracted by a World Cup stadium and lower costs (imagine if Ed Davies decided to move the Wanderers to the Isle of Wight and the team was to become the Isle of Wight Wanderers and you get the picture). Now one can't just keep supporting a team like that nor can one simply pick a once rival team to support. So I was forced to turn to the EPL for my footy fix.

Not having any roots in England and not knowing what team to support, I obviously went to one with a fellow countryman. Man United.
Watching Park play is a joy, mind you, but the fans are another matter. Prawn sandwich-eating-spoiled-whiny-brats the lot of em. "Oh no, we lost! Sell Giggs! Sell Rooney! Oh for the days of Beckham!"

Enter the Dragon.

Started watching Bolton games regulary at first to see Chungy and wandered onto this forum (see what I did there?). Now here I found angry and frustrated but resolute fans of an underdog team with a manager who's game plan shared the name of a certain animal's foot (though this has been remedied). The kind of fans and team I relate to. No, I have not been supporting Bolton since the cradle and yes, I did come from watching Utd, but this is where I have decided I belong. I will not, however, go so far as to claim that I am not a Chungy bandwagon Korean. Not that they are a bad sort.

So... er... Hi everyone.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Re: Cheers from Seoul

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:24 am

midnitefooty wrote:I used to be a supporter of my hometown bottom-of-the-league team here in Korea until the corporate owners decided to up and move the team to a tiny island in the south, attracted by a World Cup stadium and lower costs (imagine if Ed Davies decided to move the Wanderers to the Isle of Wight and the team was to become the Isle of Wight Wanderers and you get the picture). Now one can't just keep supporting a team like that nor can one simply pick a once rival team to support. So I was forced to turn to the EPL for my footy fix.

Not having any roots in England and not knowing what team to support, I obviously went to one with a fellow countryman. Man United.
Watching Park play is a joy, mind you, but the fans are another matter. Prawn sandwich-eating-spoiled-whiny-brats the lot of em. "Oh no, we lost! Sell Giggs! Sell Rooney! Oh for the days of Beckham!"

Enter the Dragon.

Started watching Bolton games regulary at first to see Chungy and wandered onto this forum (see what I did there?). Now here I found angry and frustrated but resolute fans of an underdog team with a manager who's game plan shared the name of a certain animal's foot (though this has been remedied). The kind of fans and team I relate to. No, I have not been supporting Bolton since the cradle and yes, I did come from watching Utd, but this is where I have decided I belong. I will not, however, go so far as to claim that I am not a Chungy bandwagon Korean. Not that they are a bad sort.

So... er... Hi everyone.
er.... Hi back.

You're welcome for as long as you (and Chungy) are here, I think. :twisted:

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:21 am

Hello, midnitefooty, welcome aboard the good ship TW.

I think it's fair to say that Chung-Yong Lee has made a reasonable impression since he arrived at the Reebok, although others might well think otherwise (I don't get to see many games due to time differences - a fact which I suspect you will understand judging by your location and user name).

Even when (as it's inevitable) 'Chungy' moves on or retires, I hope you'll stick with the Trotters. I've been a dedicated follower of non-fashion for many, many years, midnitefooty, and part of that is BWFC. Some of the reason for the latter is that I was born and lived in places close to Bolton for a wee bit over a decade. Given that I have now lived in this country for five times as long as I lived in England my continuing interest in the club makes little sense; perhaps there is still the remnant of an apron string tangled around my heart. I don't know.

Regardless of my meandering comments there are supporters like yourself who have never lived in or around Bolton. Please don't think of yourself as an 'outsider'.

midnitefooty
Promising
Promising

Post by midnitefooty » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:12 am

Dujon wrote:Hello, midnitefooty, welcome aboard the good ship TW.

I think it's fair to say that Chung-Yong Lee has made a reasonable impression since he arrived at the Reebok, although others might well think otherwise (I don't get to see many games due to time differences - a fact which I suspect you will understand judging by your location and user name).

Even when (as it's inevitable) 'Chungy' moves on or retires, I hope you'll stick with the Trotters. I've been a dedicated follower of non-fashion for many, many years, midnitefooty, and part of that is BWFC. Some of the reason for the latter is that I was born and lived in places close to Bolton for a wee bit over a decade. Given that I have now lived in this country for five times as long as I lived in England my continuing interest in the club makes little sense; perhaps there is still the remnant of an apron string tangled around my heart. I don't know.

Regardless of my meandering comments there are supporters like yourself who have never lived in or around Bolton. Please don't think of yourself as an 'outsider'.
Hey, thanks for the kind words. Didn't think a lot of people would read all that. Cheers.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:31 am

you're very welcome.

It'll be interesting to see how chungy deals with second-season syndrome.. he has been a lot quieter in the 2 games he's had so far, and yet - produced the pin-point cross for elmander's goal against West Ham - so I'm happy with that!

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:51 am

welcome to the site and enjoy.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:33 pm

Welcome from another far away fan.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.