introductory stuff...

My name is ..... and I'm a Boltonoholic....It won't make you better but at least you're not alone.....New to the site? Then introduce yourself here............

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

introductory stuff...

Post by thebish » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:10 am

Hi - i thought it'd be polite to introduce myself...

Phil - now living down south having been exiled from Bolton since the late 70s - spent time in Burnley (yeah, I know!) - and then up in Hartlepool....

I only get to the occasional game near London - except for the the charlton game at the end of last season when I "blooded" my daughter - her first ever live game - she's now a lifer! (I blooded my boys too, but they spent the game reading a Nintendo magazine and occasionally glancing up when we scored - needless to say they have been sold to the circus now..)

I've lurked here for a while - but finally given up on Rivals - which (it seems) many others have - because it is a pile of juvenile drivel...

This seems like a more constructive and thoughtful forum - so I've come to completely ruin it!! :roll:

Phil

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:18 am

I need to get my eyes checked - I first read that as "when I 'bloodied' my daughter" - I thought you'd caught her in the face when we scored or something...

Anyway, welcome - your transition from lurker to poster has already been a useful one!

Oh, and if you feel you'd like to pour forth on BWFC at greater length (i.e. in an article) then please let me know.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:20 am

Hmm...Hartlepool eh?

Where you one of the people who voted for that monkey?

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:21 am

Hi Phil, welcome to TW! I don't bother with the formalities as you already seem to have got stuck in. Pretty much anything and everything gets discussed, be it the historical role of religion and conflict to why in God's name is Henrik Pedersen our only fit left back - sometimes in the same thread :)

First and foremost though I see the site as a 'webzine', so you're welcome to trawl through the rather interesting archives (see Set Pieces) and perhaps put pen to paper yourself over the coming season.

Oh, and do tell all the people tired of Rivals to head over to TW. We already provide sanctuary to millions of 606 refugees :)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:38 am

warthog wrote:Hmm...Hartlepool eh?

No - the monkey was elected mayor just after we left. When I was there Peter Mandelson was MP - oh! - is that what you meant!! 8)

Phil

(actually all reports suggest that the monkey - Hartlepool United mascot for those that don't know - has done a really good job!!)

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:42 am

thebish wrote:
warthog wrote:Hmm...Hartlepool eh?

No - the monkey was elected mayor just after we left. When I was there Peter Mandelson was MP - oh! - is that what you meant!! 8)

Phil

(actually all reports suggest that the monkey - Hartlepool United mascot for those that don't know - has done a really good job!!)
That's pretty offensive - to monkeys.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:43 pm

thebish wrote:When I was there Peter Mandelson was MP
Greetings and a cheery hello, Phil.

Please be a star and settle this for me one way or t'other, will you?

Peter Mandleson, mixing it and desperately trying to ingratiate himself amongst the Hartlepuddlian electorate, thinks (or has it thought on his behalf) that it would be a superb idea that whilst in front of the local media he should visit a fish and chip shop and queue amongst the locals. His 'dumbing it down' however was soon exposed as a pathetic ruse the moment that he pointed to the mushy peas and declared "I think I'll also try some of the Guacamole".

Urban myth or true tale? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:45 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Peter Mandleson, mixing it and desperately trying to ingratiate himself amongst the Hartlepuddlian electorate, thinks (or has it thought on his behalf) that it would be a superb idea that whilst in front of the local media he should visit a fish and chip shop and queue amongst the locals. His 'dumbing it down' however was soon exposed as a pathetic ruse the moment that he pointed to the mushy peas and declared "I think I'll also try some of the Guacamole".

:lol:

I'd forgotten that story.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:01 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote: Greetings and a cheery hello, Phil.

Please be a star and settle this for me one way or t'other, will you?

Peter Mandleson, mixing it and desperately trying to ingratiate himself amongst the Hartlepuddlian electorate, thinks (or has it thought on his behalf) that it would be a superb idea that whilst in front of the local media he should visit a fish and chip shop and queue amongst the locals. His 'dumbing it down' however was soon exposed as a pathetic ruse the moment that he pointed to the mushy peas and declared "I think I'll also try some of the Guacamole".

It's an urban myth - but based on a rumour put about by John Prescott (I believe) (not a big ally of Mandy's!) - just down the road in sunny Hull.

funnily enough - Mandelson quite liked the story and never denied it - he thought, in a strange kind of a way - it gave him some personality...

(the usual version has "avacado dip" rather than "guacamole")

The Hartlepool Mail took it up - and Peter would often use the story to offer reviews of local chippies he'd been to.

http://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/news/ ... rry4.shtml

(John Prescott - unfortunately - can't claim that the rumours about him are urban myths...)

Phil

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:16 pm

Welcome aboard Bish. :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:29 pm

Welcome bish. I remember you from Rivals but I haven't been on for about 12 months now and I even removed the site from my Favourites list.

This site is much better.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:27 pm

blimey - your past has a habit of catching up with you, doesn't it!

Phil :shock:

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:29 pm

Hello.

I'll be careful not to bash the bish in public.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:02 pm

Hello and welcome!!!

You're daughter sounds really cool!!!

Hope you enjoy it here

Let's here it for the girls ;)

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:47 pm

Welcome.

Anymore monkey stories would be greatfully received.

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:00 am

Little Green Man wrote:Welcome.

The Hartlepool Monkey -

The monkey-hanging legend is the most famous story connected with Hartlepool.

http://www.thisishartlepool.co.uk/histo ... monkey.asp

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Re: introductory stuff...

Post by americantrotter » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:25 am

thebish wrote:Hi - i thought it'd be polite to introduce myself...

Phil - now living down south having been exiled from Bolton since the late 70s - spent time in Burnley (yeah, I know!) - and then up in Hartlepool....

I only get to the occasional game near London - except for the the charlton game at the end of last season when I "blooded" my daughter - her first ever live game - she's now a lifer! (I blooded my boys too, but they spent the game reading a Nintendo magazine and occasionally glancing up when we scored - needless to say they have been sold to the circus now..)

I've lurked here for a while - but finally given up on Rivals - which (it seems) many others have - because it is a pile of juvenile drivel...

This seems like a more constructive and thoughtful forum - so I've come to completely ruin it!! :roll:

Phil
Welcome bish! I am a former rivals reject myself as you might remember. I always liked your posts. I hope you stay awhile.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:13 pm

Little Green Man wrote:Welcome.

ahh - monkey stories! The old Hartlepool rugby team (Not the professional side - West Hartlepool) still hang a monkey as their mascot on the crossbar during their games...

one interesting thing happened while I livd there re. this story.. A coastal village in Scotland claimed that the whole monkey-hanging thing didn't happen in Hartlepool, but in their village.

Naively I thought to myself - great!! - at last a chance to get rid of this story - there will be much rejoicing!!

not a bit of it - the Hartlepool Mail was up in arms - Hands of our History!! it was US!! WE were the ones that were so xenophobic and uncosmopolitan that we thought a monkey might be Napoleonic Sailor and hung it on the quayside - it was US who thought his inane babblings were the French language.... IT WAS US what DID IT - NOT YOU - HURRAH!!

I was staggered that the town might be proud of this story - yet still claim to be cross when outsiders call them monkey-hangers....

ho hum..

in a similar way they were quite cross when another town claimed to have the highest teenage pregnancy rate in the UK... NO YOU DON'T - WE DO!!! (but that was really about being able to attract urban regeneration funding - you have to prove just hopw deprived you are to attract the money...)

Phil

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:02 pm

hmm yes the scots and quasi-scots arguing about who is more stupid, sounds about right.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:51 am

Hello bish. :D
I used to work with a Hartlepool fan. He told me that they're the greatest football team the world has ever seen.

Can you confirm if this is true?
Businesswoman of the year.