We missed it...

Tell us how to make the site a better place, and we'll pretend the idea was ours all along.....

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

We missed it...

Post by mofgimmers » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:46 pm

2000+ members! Hurray!
I write words for a living. I play records for a living. Both of these thing should tell you that I'm a failed musician.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:51 pm

Dammit!

I was keeping an eye on that as well, not a very good one obviously.

Cheers everybody!

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:27 pm

Me too... and then it slipped my mind. Damn.
I write words for a living. I play records for a living. Both of these thing should tell you that I'm a failed musician.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:09 pm

Actually I wish we would deactivate the accounts of those who joined over two years ago and never posted once. There are pages and pages in the membership list and, no matter how you sort it, it can be time consuming to find something you want. I'm not sure 2000 is much to boast about if half of these have never posted and a significant number are multiple logins of the same individual. Just my two cents from Sour Grape country. :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:11 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:Actually I wish we would deactivate the accounts of those who joined over two years ago and never posted once. There are pages and pages in the membership list and, no matter how you sort it, it can be time consuming to find something you want. I'm not sure 2000 is much to boast about if half of these have never posted and a significant number are multiple logins of the same individual. Just my two cents from Sour Grape country. :wink:
Why are you rooting through the membership list? Stalker.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:18 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:Actually I wish we would deactivate the accounts of those who joined over two years ago and never posted once. There are pages and pages in the membership list and, no matter how you sort it, it can be time consuming to find something you want. I'm not sure 2000 is much to boast about if half of these have never posted and a significant number are multiple logins of the same individual. Just my two cents from Sour Grape country. :wink:
You don't know what people use those accounts for, they could just use it to browse.

Even if they have never posted, they have still gone through the effort of signing up. If we didn't keep the numbers how they are meant to be we'll never know be able to see how much we have grown.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:20 pm

Also, you realise you can view a profile by entering their username in to the usual url.

so for example:

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/boards/pr ... rofile&u=1

becomes:

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/boards/pr ... le&u=keveh

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:04 pm

keveh wrote:
You don't know what people use those accounts for, they could just use it to browse.

Even if they have never posted, they have still gone through the effort of signing up. If we didn't keep the numbers how they are meant to be we'll never know be able to see how much we have grown.
I thought one could browse without an account, although perhaps not have access to everything. I did not know about the profile.php function which would have saved a lot of time, tbh. I have sorted the whole membership list by name then used twenty separate clicks to get where I wanted (which always seemed to be in the middle).

Anyway, it is certainly your call.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:19 pm

also, if you're searching through the member list you'll notice in the url is has a number, you can just change that to get to certain pages faster.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:22 pm

keveh wrote:also, if you're searching through the member list you'll notice in the url is has a number, you can just change that to get to certain pages faster.
:oops: Good to know!

potter1989bwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by potter1989bwfc » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:42 pm

keveh wrote:Also, you realise you can view a profile by entering their username in to the usual url.

so for example:

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/boards/pr ... rofile&u=1

becomes:

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/boards/pr ... le&u=keveh
might of got bored of his username maybe if you have a option to change it then this might not happen as much ?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:42 pm

Every forum has people who browse and don't post at all or rarely. Just some peoples' nature to support from afar I suppose. I'm sure they appreciate the chance to be members and keep up with news etc.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:14 pm

keveh wrote:

Not to mention the reasons given by yon lad:
http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/boards/vi ... hp?t=15493
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:05 pm

lol, would you like to withdraw your suggestion again Monty? ;)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:09 pm

Is there no way of figuring out the last time a person logged on? Thta way if they hadn't actually used the account for say a year, it could be deleted? That said given that i too like Monty have learnt lots of technical number stuff to make it easier, not really much point now...
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:01 pm

Why has this turned into a pointless debate about whether people log on or not.

It's still brilliant that 2000+ have signed up for this forum, which so many people have given their hours to running and modding.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:58 pm

WAHOO! I couldn't give two hoots what anyone says. It may not have the biggest member list of any Bolton forum, but it's by far and away the most active, by a street.

Even if we only had a hundred active members, it would still be a hundred active members that start and debate threads on a continual basis.

Ask yourself how many new members over the last year, have started their 'New Members' thread with, 'I've been reading the forums on this site for a long time, and thought it time I took the leap.

If we only have a very small following as you state Monty, then it's fine by me. It simply means the rest of the idiots we really don't want on our site are blabbing their immature crap on 606.
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:38 pm

An interesting, if somewhat irrelevant, bench(sorry!)mark has been reached. Whilst the figure does not represent so-called active members it does indeed indicate that over 2,000 individuals have taken the trouble to register with the forum. I belong to a couple of other fora where I rarely post - not because I'm not interested any more, but because I only post if I have something to say; in some cases, nay, many cases, someone else has beaten me to the punch and that means, unless I feel a special need to support someone's comment, it is unnecessary to become involved.

Having been a member here since the forum's genesis (nearly) one thing that I do find pleasing is to see our younger members - at least those who announce themselves as such - developing in their communication skills and putting forward reasoned arguments, flawed or otherwise, rather than ill considered "knee jerk" reactions to another member's post. Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm sure such puerile activities will continue but I am also sure that the members currently involved (with the help of moderators and administrators) will, by pure dint of example, continue to attract those who think before they type.

Long live TW and my thanks to my fellow members for making this place pleasant to visit. No txt spk - bloody marvellous.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:25 am

What? :conf: :conf:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:05 am

mofgimmers wrote:Why has this turned into a pointless debate about whether people log on or not.

It's still brilliant that 2000+ have signed up for this forum, which so many people have given their hours to running and modding.
Aye technicalites surrounding active members aside, the important thing is to say 'go TW'. Tis a fabulous thing, the only one of all the BWFC fora i feel at home at, and long may it continue. Here's to getting 2,500 members (at which point does the forum become 'reliable' or 'legend' or something? :mrgreen:

:pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.