Quoting Posts

Tell us how to make the site a better place, and we'll pretend the idea was ours all along.....

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Quoting Posts

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:42 am

Something weird's happening when I quote posts in a reply. It seems that, every time I tap the keyboard, the scroll bar goes back to the centre of the post. It's winding me up no end. Can anyone help? It started as soon as I downloaded the latest version of Internet Explorer, and doesn't happen on anything else.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:45 am

Dont use Internet Explorer.

Easy :)

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:37 pm

Use Firefox man, much better :mrgreen:

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:43 pm

I may start, seeing as this is a pain in the butt.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:55 pm

You can always just copy and paste the post you're answering into a reply box then highlight it and hit the "quote" button above the box.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:04 pm

Personally I find it easier to type out posts and the quote code - that's probably cos I use quick reply more than post reply. Try it, ya get used to it and it'll save you a mischief.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Quoting Posts

Post by FaninOz » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:01 am

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:Something weird's happening when I quote posts in a reply. It seems that, every time I tap the keyboard, the scroll bar goes back to the centre of the post. It's winding me up no end. Can anyone help? It started as soon as I downloaded the latest version of Internet Explorer, and doesn't happen on anything else.
Happens to me as well!

Can you run Firefox and Explorer on the same computer at the same time in different windows?? Are there any compatability problems that upset the computer in any other way and if so what can you do about it??
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Quoting Posts

Post by Dujon » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:08 am

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:Something weird's happening when I quote posts in a reply. It seems that, every time I tap the keyboard, the scroll bar goes back to the centre of the post. It's winding me up no end. Can anyone help? It started as soon as I downloaded the latest version of Internet Explorer, and doesn't happen on anything else.
Just to test the situation, KB, I've just downloaded the latest version of I.E.8. It is not program that I use normally but, given your predicament I thought I'd best upgrade my installed version and see what might happen.

This is being posted with the latest available version of I.E. (8.0.6001.18702).

The 'quote' facility seems to work, although my cursor seems to be on a low polling frequency as I am typing. I use I.E. only when absolutely necessary and, if you could see it, the screen delay on my system when typing is dreadful.

Normally I use Firefox but also have Chrome and Opera on hand - although, like I.E., they are used generally only to check the rendition of my own web site.

Anyway, KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab, it could be, apart from the rather delayed keyboard response at my end (it's driving me mad!) that the problem is some sort of clash at yours.

Blimey, I'm glad this post is finished.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:12 am

Hello, FaninOz, we seem to have overlapped.

At the time I time I typed my previous post I also had Firefox working, although the post itself was done using I.E.8.. So, yes, it will work. I will now shut down F.F. and try a simple post under I.E.8.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:16 am

Dujon wrote:Hello, FaninOz, we seem to have overlapped.

At the time I time I typed my previous post I also had Firefox working, although the post itself was done using I.E.8.. So, yes, it will work. I will now shut down F.F. and try a simple post under I.E.8.
Firefox is now closed (as best I can gather from the system. The cursor and typing response might - and I mean might - have improved a bit, but it's still awful.

I'm back off to Firefox.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:20 am

This is much better, thanks for your concern. You might also note that during this more than likely inconsequential exercise I shut down all FTP activity to my web site. I'd best off and fix that.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:07 pm

Dujon wrote:Hello, FaninOz, we seem to have overlapped.

Yes, they will work. I would suggest that performance would be limited by your amount of memory and internet connection, rather than compatibility issues. And we all know about your memory, Dujon.... :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:23 pm

Sorry for the cold water but it does do it on Fire Fox from time to time also! It is bloody frustrating stops you mid flo although some may say thats no bad thing :mrgreen:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:46 pm

hoboh2o wrote:Sorry for the cold water but it does do it on Fire Fox from time to time also! It is bloody frustrating stops you mid flo although some may say thats no bad thing :mrgreen:
Oh I think I understand what you refer to now. If you are replying to a post and click the quote icon, the cursor is returned to the top of the post. This is more to do with the software that runs the site than the browser type. Actually you can just paste what you are quoting and hit the quote icon again, without scrolling down and losing time. It will still appear in the correct place.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:07 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
hoboh2o wrote:Sorry for the cold water but it does do it on Fire Fox from time to time also! It is bloody frustrating stops you mid flo although some may say thats no bad thing :mrgreen:
Oh I think I understand what you refer to now. If you are replying to a post and click the quote icon, the cursor is returned to the top of the post. This is more to do with the software that runs the site than the browser type. Actually you can just paste what you are quoting and hit the quote icon again, without scrolling down and losing time. It will still appear in the correct place.
The problem arises when you pause for breath and it b*ggers off back to the top, scroll down then off it goes again before you've blinked!! :cry:

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:58 am

Download the IE Tab add on for Firefox

I find it handy from time to time
Sto ut Serviam

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:16 am

hoboh2o wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
The problem arises when you pause for breath and it b*ggers off back to the top, scroll down then off it goes again before you've blinked!! :cry:

Firefox used to do this for me too when I did TWSPY - and in that I do a lot of quoting - used to drive me fecking mad!!!! It doesn't now though - I assuimed summat had changed on the TW forum software - like an upgrade or summat?

anyway - IE is shite - nobody should be using it! :wink: