Stuff staying red.

Tell us how to make the site a better place, and we'll pretend the idea was ours all along.....

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Stuff staying red.

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:10 pm

Even when I've read a thread, and I click back to the menu, some, but not all keep staying red. Anyone else having this problem? I don't know much about them there computers. Maybe I need to update my firefoxy? Or clear my cache (whatever that is). I don't know what any of that is, but that seems to be standard comouter fixing advice. Anyone?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Stuff staying red.

Post by thebish » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:14 pm

Prufrock wrote:Even when I've read a thread, and I click back to the menu, some, but not all keep staying red. Anyone else having this problem? I don't know much about them there computers. Maybe I need to update my firefoxy? Or clear my cache (whatever that is). I don't know what any of that is, but that seems to be standard comouter fixing advice. Anyone?
if you use the browser back button it will still be red. clicking the browser refresh button should clear it.

otherwise - it's probably that it is telling you my posts are worth reading over and over again as if for the very first time! :wink:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:18 pm

thebish wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Even when I've read a thread, and I click back to the menu, some, but not all keep staying red. Anyone else having this problem? I don't know much about them there computers. Maybe I need to update my firefoxy? Or clear my cache (whatever that is). I don't know what any of that is, but that seems to be standard comouter fixing advice. Anyone?
if you use the browser back button it will still be red. clicking the browser refresh button should clear it.

otherwise - it's probably that it is telling you my posts are worth reading over and over again as if for the very first time! :wink:
I'm not clicking back. Even if I refresh it stays red. It's doing my head in, don't know what I've read or not. It seems to be whenver Jenkz posts, though this could be coincidence. Nevertheless can someone ban him just in case. Thankyou.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:22 pm

Prufrock wrote:
thebish wrote:

I'm not clicking back. Even if I refresh it stays red. It's doing my head in, don't know what I've read or not. It seems to be whenver Jenkz posts, though this could be coincidence. Nevertheless can someone ban him just in case. Thankyou.
turn the pc off and on again!

are you using firefox? if so - have you recently upgraded to FF3?? if so - this is a known bug...

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 9&t=708005

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:22 pm

Feck me. The bastards doing it with this very thread. Jenkz, I'm sorry, seems not to have been your fault after all.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:25 pm

thebish wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
thebish wrote:

turn the pc off and on again!

are you using firefox? if so - have you recently upgraded to FF3?? if so - this is a known bug...

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 9&t=708005
Yep, and cheers for the link, but I can't see any way to fix it. Will it let me downgrade to FF2?

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:36 am

Prufrock, I use FF3, latest version (3.00.11), and do not have that problem. You could try holding down your 'shift' key and then refreshing the page. In theory that should force the browser to reload the page fully from the site.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:56 am

Download ccleaner from filehippo
Sto ut Serviam

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:47 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:Download ccleaner from filehippo
Tried it, still saying red. Doing my head in. I can't stand IE. Please somebody helpppppppp.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:10 am

Today I am now getting the same problem. Some threads seem o.k. others not. If I click mark all threads read it goes back to blue. As soon as a new post is made and I open the page, not only is the latest post red, but every post on that page is red. Any idea of the problem?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:23 pm

seanworth wrote:Today I am now getting the same problem. Some threads seem o.k. others not. If I click mark all threads read it goes back to blue. As soon as a new post is made and I open the page, not only is the latest post red, but every post on that page is red. Any idea of the problem?
My problem is, as soon as I hit refresh, all the red messages I haven't read revert to blue. I've had this for a couple of months. Now I just go off date and time.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:32 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
seanworth wrote:Today I am now getting the same problem. Some threads seem o.k. others not. If I click mark all threads read it goes back to blue. As soon as a new post is made and I open the page, not only is the latest post red, but every post on that page is red. Any idea of the problem?
My problem is, as soon as I hit refresh, all the red messages I haven't read revert to blue. I've had this for a couple of months. Now I just go off date and time.
Jeez so this problem just isn't black and blue. Kind of strange. Right now I am only having problems with the Davis done, old school trotters and sic transit threads. Am trying to check the date and time, but out of instinct I see red I hit the button. Good thing I'm not a U.S. President.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:35 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Just to confuse the issue more - mine used to get rid of all the red when I clicked on a link to another the-wanderer page within a thread. Doesnt do it anymore.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:39 pm

The strangest thing about this "error" is that is totally random and there are different occurrences for different people.

The only thing that I can recommend is to delete all temporary files, so not just the cache, everything.

Firefox: Tools > Clear Private Data

Make sure all tickboxes are ticked.

IE: Tools > Internet Options > General

On the browsing history click the delete button, then delete all in the new window

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:58 pm

O.k. did as you say (except remember passwords), and at present everything has swapped to blue. Once some posts get made I will monitor and inform if any problems or not.

Cheers for the assistance.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:05 pm

O.k someone has made a post in one of the threads that was causing a problem. The problem is fixed on my computer for the time being at least. Cheers for the assistance keveh.

jenkz
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by jenkz » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:11 pm

Prufrock wrote:Feck me. The bastards doing it with this very thread. Jenkz, I'm sorry, seems not to have been your fault after all.
Why would it be my fault? Just cuz I've got a boring day off!
Nat Lofthouse:

“in my day, there were plenty of fellas who would kick your b****cks off. The difference was that at the end of the match they would shake your hand and help you look for them!”

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:58 pm

You want something really weird? Twice, this week, I've gone to reply to a post and had a notice come up telling me I'm banned from the forum. I kid you not. When I hit the back button I have to sign in again.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:02 pm

I'm constantly being logged out in the middle of a session,so I miss loads of posts, as they all revert to blue. But then again, my connection is pretty ropey so it might be that.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:34 pm

Mine has been refusing to remember me whenever I return to the forum no matter how many times I click the little box saying 'log me in automatically'. Can't say it's seriously detracting from my life though. I blame aliens.