Free the Commie 1

Tell us how to make the site a better place, and we'll pretend the idea was ours all along.....

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Free the Commie 1

Post by fatshaft » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:11 pm

Just posting on the golf thread made me realise we're still missing the ginger one (ok, I realise 79% of posters on here are ginger)

New season, time for a long overdue amnesty?

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Re: Free the Commie 1

Post by CAPSLOCK » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:14 pm

fatshaft wrote:Just posting on the golf thread made me realise we're still missing the ginger one (ok, I realise 79% of posters on here are ginger)

New season, time for a long overdue amnesty?
I don't think threads like this are fair, really

If you want him back, maybe a pm to admin

I'll join you :)

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:12 am

add mine to the petition... oh ok... if this is not to be a thread... sorry i spoke...

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:37 am

Commie's not part of our Special Club I don't think. Just saying like

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:02 pm

Not deleted but moved to the Feedback forum.

It's your site and your free to voice your opinions on anything. Just do it in the right place :mrgreen:
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:09 am

Not a fan of this kind of thread personally, but I'm all for amnesties, as long as they are extended to everyone.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:39 am

FD wrote:Not a fan of this kind of thread personally, but I'm all for amnesties, as long as they are extended to everyone.
Most of the banned folk are probably still here anyway, just using other names. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:41 pm

The main problem with anything like this is that if you unban on person you then have to do it for many others.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:10 pm

keveh wrote:The main problem with anything like this is that if you unban on person you then have to do it for many others.
Yep - I see the problem. you eventually have detailed rules and regulations etc. Does cwe actually want to have the ban lifted?

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:12 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
FD wrote:Not a fan of this kind of thread personally, but I'm all for amnesties, as long as they are extended to everyone.
Most of the banned folk are probably still here anyway, just using other names. :wink:
...and in truth, most of the admin/mods know that, and turn a blind eye...correctly imho.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:18 pm

keveh wrote:The main problem with anything like this is that if you unban on person you then have to do it for many others.
I think also, that often when people suggest a ban be lifted, they're not in the position of having had to moderate the particular person in the first place and deal with any fall out that was caused.

Given that (as far as I know) bans are handed out after repeated requests not to wind folk up which again all need consideration/activity by mods, by suggesting we should lift bans, doesn't reflect the fact that doing so, probably creates work for someone else.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:41 pm

Good point, worthy.

Every time there's been a ban - so far - I've seen the reason for it. I'm pretty much always inclined towards leniency but I'm happy to trust the mods and admins on this.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:10 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Commie isn't. He actually couldn't be arsed coming back anyway.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:04 pm

How do you set the bans, if you don't mind me asking, I assume you don't have to remember to un-ban somebody, more you set a date when they can return? Perhaps one suggestion would be a year-long ban as a final resort, that way people who do care enough to remember to come back might not be lost forever. That said, as Brucie says, I imagine the ones who are really that bothered are back under different names, and the others aren't that bothered in the grand scheme of life and that. Also I'd imagine for most a three-month ban is enough to weed out the trollers.

Well that felt like a nice waste of time and bandwidth.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:07 pm

Seriously - You'd actually have to ask him back.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:17 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
I think also, that often when people suggest a ban be lifted, they're not in the position of having had to moderate the particular person in the first place and deal with any fall out that was caused.

Given that (as far as I know) bans are handed out after repeated requests not to wind folk up which again all need consideration/activity by mods, by suggesting we should lift bans, doesn't reflect the fact that doing so, probably creates work for someone else.
Agreed. There are small words, then bigger words, then proper warnings, then a short suspension, then a longer suspension all before a final ban. Even then, the ban may get lifted.

So, when you get a lifer he/she has persistently and notably misbehaved.

I have no idea what Commie did, but I presume, from the above, he more than pushed the envelope.

Itrust the mods in these areas.

Plus ... even there was a return for him there'd be a return for others, far less savoury & more persistant offenders, which would not be good in my view.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:24 pm

bobo the clown wrote:I have no idea what Commie did, but I presume, from the above, he more than pushed the envelope.
He vigorously researched the points that he made, and ridiculed those that hadn’t taken similar trouble. That, apparently, is a dismissible offence if you can’t keep up :conf:

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:35 pm

FD wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
...and in truth, most of the admin/mods know that, and turn a blind eye...correctly imho.
Alright, which one of you is Batman?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:39 pm

I'm Batman and so's my wife.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:40 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Commie isn't. He actually couldn't be arsed coming back anyway.
Fair enough, I'll see him at the golf if I'm there :mrgreen: