ALLARDYCE APPOINTED NEWCASTLE MANAGER

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Mon May 07, 2007 8:54 pm

americantrotter wrote:FFS can we get back to the matter at hand? I still love the man, but I hope they ride him out of town on a rail. One thing he always had with us was the fact that we were never going to fire him.
Yes, 7 managers in 10 years. Geordies won't like the kick and rush Allardyce style. Big pressure with this job.
"Don't like modern bands. Topman music, innit?"

trotter58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by trotter58 » Mon May 07, 2007 8:57 pm

Bench wrote:
trotter58 wrote:
Bench wrote:The bright side..... Big Sam does come calling for any of our players, we won't be selling any of the ones he'd want cheap (i.e. Anelka, Nolan, Diouf, Davies, Faye etc). Has he'll a warchest the size of the national debt of a small African country (why else would he have joined?) he'll probably have to pay a premium. Which may prove to be very good for us.
How is selling our best players 'very good for us'?!
In terms of having more money to spend.

I never said I wanted to sell our best players, I'm just saying that if we had to sell (or wanted) we could potentially charge a premium for players of that importance. Personally, we need to keep all of the players I listed, plus a few more besides - it's just not very often that we have actually sold a player and got the right value for him.
I still don't follow your logic. If we sell our best players for a premium we then have to replace them for the inflated fees that other chairmen will want for their players and there's no guarantee that the replacements will be any better.
'No issues with Warnock, he's got a fine record, experience and has been there and done it. Unlike LSL' © Fathead 18/08/07

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon May 07, 2007 8:58 pm

Well ... there you have it. He's a lying bastard.

He's clearly given a different "family" based account to Gartside.

Now it's shown that he just wanted out & must have been having prior discussions with Newcastle ... while their boss still had a job (& so did he) ... that's very, very poor. Especially so from someone who's so high & mighty in the LMA.

So, while we're on about honesty Sam, what about the bungs ? Because I, for one, never truly believed you were innocent. I believed you were picked on & that it was probably endemic in football, but I always felt you wer eup to it.

You'll not last long once the Quest guys get stuck in ... & Gartside's got little reason to keep youi clean now, has he.

Meanwhile, Mr, £80m in debt, Sheppard, we are now owed £5m, I believe.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 07, 2007 9:00 pm

Minor word which may well be redundant by the time people read the omnibus edition tomorrow morning at work:
Still awaiting official confirmation on BBC or Sky Sports websites. And it wouldn't surprise me overly if we're still awaiting official confirmation for another six days.

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Mon May 07, 2007 9:01 pm

If the players are under contract then we don't need to sell. That doesn't mean they will stay though. I think if we choke at the weekend and miss out on Europe then the likes of Anelka and Diouf might want to go. And they have the perfect excuse " we only wanted to play for Sam Allardyce"

Mich Caine

Post by Mich Caine » Mon May 07, 2007 9:02 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Well ... there you have it. He's a lying bastard.

Now it's shown that he just wanted out & must have been having prior discussions with Newcastle ... while their boss still had a job (& so did he) ... that's very, very poor. Especially so from someone who's so high & mighty in the LMA.

So, while we're on about honesty Sam, what about the bungs ? Because I, for one, never truly believed you were innocent. I believed you were picked on & that it was probably endemic in football, but I always felt you wer eup to it.

You'll not last long once the Quest guys get stuck in ... & Gartside's got little reason to keep youi clean now, has he.

I hear what you are saying, but don't you think the time had come where it was best for both to have a new change - i.e. Sam had taken us as far as he could and we have looked so stale in 2007, it is time for a new start, so got to wish him all the best and hope we can progress too.

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Mon May 07, 2007 9:02 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Minor word which may well be redundant by the time people read the omnibus edition tomorrow morning at work:
Still awaiting official confirmation on BBC or Sky Sports websites. And it wouldn't surprise me overly if we're still awaiting official confirmation for another six days.
Still, he will be appointed at some point though so it doesn't make any differerence.

trotter58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by trotter58 » Mon May 07, 2007 9:06 pm

bobby5 wrote:If the players are under contract then we don't need to sell.
Allardyce had two years to run on his contract. Didn't stop him walking. As for any compensation from Newcastle, dream on. Why do you think that he resigned? Can we take that 'Thanks Sam!' graphic down now?
'No issues with Warnock, he's got a fine record, experience and has been there and done it. Unlike LSL' © Fathead 18/08/07

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 07, 2007 9:07 pm

daxter15 wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Minor word which may well be redundant by the time people read the omnibus edition tomorrow morning at work:
Still, he will be appointed at some point though so it doesn't make any differerence.
Financially it does, depending on the severance terms agreed with Mr Gartside.

And you can call me an old-fashioned journalist, but unnamed sources on Five Live don't cut it with me.

True, there's still a discussion to be had, but I'm seeing people lighting their pitchforks before sundown.

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Mon May 07, 2007 9:08 pm

Mich Caine wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Well ... there you have it. He's a lying bastard.

I hear what you are saying, but don't you think the time had come where it was best for both to have a new change - i.e. Sam had taken us as far as he could and we have looked so stale in 2007, it is time for a new start, so got to wish him all the best and hope we can progress too.
Still leaves a sour taste. There is so much negative publicity over this then the more in lingers the more harmful it will be for the pre-season preparations.

On the subject of compensation, how are we owed money if he has resigned. Surely with a reignation the contract is terminated.??

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 07, 2007 9:08 pm

Bench wrote:And anyone who would be happy to be rid of Nolan after one poor season doesn't have a scooby doo about football. Just my opinion.
Now let me reckon this up. Nolan's second season? Rubbish. Got dropped for most of it. "Second season syndrome" I believe it got referred to as being. This season? Shit also! Hmmm, I'd agree with you then Bench. Anyone that'd be happy to get rid of Nolan after one poor season doesn't have a "Scooby Doo" about football. Those of us that have, however, have given the self-glorifying knobber the chance to prove beyond all doubt how poor he can be, that'll be two shit seasons in five then.

Off comes the rubber mask;

"Why, it's old man Bench"!!

"And I'd have getten away with it too if it weren't for you meddlin' factually correct types"!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 07, 2007 9:09 pm

trotter58 wrote:
bobby5 wrote:If the players are under contract then we don't need to sell.
Allardyce had two years to run on his contract. Didn't stop him walking.
So you think we'll have a sudden rush on players resigning quoting family reasons?
trotter58 wrote:Can we take that 'Thanks Sam!' graphic down now?
Aye, when he relegates us and stops us making the top eight four seasons on the bounce.

trotter58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by trotter58 » Mon May 07, 2007 9:13 pm

bobby5 wrote:I heard the 5 live piece and they had a interview with Chris Waddle. Old Chris is not the biggest fan of Bolton and Allardyce and he wouldn't commit to saying the appointment was wonderful. "Newcastle fans love exciting attacking football" he said. Well they're buggered then. Also, not many of the Toon Army seem to want him as boss. Should be an interesting summer.
I think that Allardyce will have his hands full with some of their players. Didn't Kieron Dyer refuse to play at right back under Bobby Robson? I'm looking forward to Allardyce telling him that he's not allowed to shoot from outside the box!

trotter58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by trotter58 » Mon May 07, 2007 9:15 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:So you think we'll have a sudden rush on players resigning quoting family reasons?
If you think that players are not capable of making life very difficult for the club if they want to leave, then you're being very naïve.

trotter58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by trotter58 » Mon May 07, 2007 9:18 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Aye, when he relegates us and stops us making the top eight four seasons on the bounce.
We hear a lot about what Allardyce did for the club, not so much about what the club has done for Allardyce.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 07, 2007 9:18 pm

trotter58 wrote:
bobby5 wrote:I heard the 5 live piece and they had a interview with Chris Waddle. Old Chris is not the biggest fan of Bolton and Allardyce and he wouldn't commit to saying the appointment was wonderful. "Newcastle fans love exciting attacking football" he said. Well they're buggered then. Also, not many of the Toon Army seem to want him as boss. Should be an interesting summer.
I think that Allardyce will have his hands full with some of their players. Didn't Kieron Dyer refuse to play at right back under Bobby Robson? I'm looking forward to Allardyce telling him that he's not allowed to shoot from outside the box!
Right wing. Even worse.

Henrik's fan club
Henrik
Henrik

Post by Henrik's fan club » Mon May 07, 2007 9:19 pm

Oh Sam, how could you??? :(
Who needs Henry when we've got Henrik?

Free the T-W two!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 07, 2007 9:20 pm

trotter58 wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:So you think we'll have a sudden rush on players resigning quoting family reasons?
If you think that players are not capable of making life very difficult for the club if they want to leave, then you're being very naïve.
Why thank you for the warning, I'll adjust my glasses.

Nope, still under contract. So we'll get the cash. Which was Bench's original point.

Bwfcraig
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Bwfcraig » Mon May 07, 2007 9:21 pm

As long as he sticks to tyneside's side of the fence, and doesnt come to take off with our backroom staff + players. Then i wish him the best of luck. He's earnt his chance. It'll be intresting to see him at the Newcastle game at the reebok next season. Espically if he wont be at the Villa game for a send off.
http://www.premierleague.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Chelski

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 07, 2007 9:22 pm

trotter58 wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
We hear a lot about what Allardyce did for the club, not so much about what the club has done for Allardyce.
Do explain to us naifs. Way I saw it, we (yes, we, for it's the club I support) gave him a comparatively laughable budget and he took us as far as he thought he could. Four top-eight seasons (tbc!) wasn't a bad crack. Might turn out to be our zenith.