Champions League Final

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 23, 2007 9:54 pm

Playing a team of Italians and a ref who blatantly ignored what he felt like and couldn't tell the time, it was a pretty predictable result. I'm no Scouse fan but I'd have added a further five minutes to the three for the obvious pxxxxxg about by the cheating Italians. The abdominal operation time-waste wouldn't have downed my grand daughter and, apart from Dean Martin, Al Martino, Sophia Loren and Francis Albert I never liked Italians. I still don't.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed May 23, 2007 9:57 pm

I'm glad the Italians won.

Can you imagine how unbearable the papers would have been?

Gerrard would have been put on a higher pedestal as some Zeus-like Deity,

the clogger Carragher would have had his statue replacing that of Bobby Moore....

I mean come on, do they deserve to win, when 0-2 down with 2mins to go - they bring on a full back as opposed to Bellamy??¬!??!!?

Fooking hilarious. Congrats AC Milan - a deserved win.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed May 23, 2007 10:04 pm

Whats all this 'the best team lost bollocks'

I'll chuckle a few hours yet

Still got a chunk of a crate in the freezer, its going to be a long night

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Wed May 23, 2007 10:06 pm

Got to be happy with that result, don't have to put up with 'lifelong' bin dippers trundling in to the pub with the pricetag still on their new shirts. YSB and all that.

On a sidenote, does our 2-0 win over the Scouse at the Reebok mean that we're officially a better side than Milan btw?
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Wed May 23, 2007 10:07 pm

Twenty seconds eh!

Wouldn't have been allowed in Spain!
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Henrik's fan club
Henrik
Henrik

Post by Henrik's fan club » Wed May 23, 2007 10:10 pm

Leyther_Matt wrote:On a sidenote, does our 2-0 win over the Scouse at the Reebok mean that we're officially a better side than Milan btw?
Of course it does!

Championis Championis! :mrgreen:
Who needs Henry when we've got Henrik?

Free the T-W two!

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Wed May 23, 2007 10:10 pm

my heart bleeds for senor benitez

:lol:

Henrik's fan club
Henrik
Henrik

Post by Henrik's fan club » Wed May 23, 2007 10:11 pm

I got a lot of dirty looks for singing 'Fat spanish waiter'

Free the T-W two!

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Wed May 23, 2007 10:11 pm

The fact milan had a born goal scorer was the difference. Gerrard fluffed his chance whereas Inzaghi finished his with aplomb. You might say the first milan goal was lucky, but then again Kuyt's was offside!
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Wed May 23, 2007 10:14 pm

Any 'fluke' for the first goal (which I disagree with, because he still found himself in the position) are cancelled out, not only by Kuyt's offside goal, but also the sheer simplistic brilliance of Milan's second - fantastic run from Inzaghi and a great ball to pick him out. Not a bad finish either.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

Henrik's fan club
Henrik
Henrik

Post by Henrik's fan club » Wed May 23, 2007 10:15 pm

gerrard bottled it totally

Free the T-W two!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed May 23, 2007 11:00 pm

cant really comment much

other than

YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Wed May 23, 2007 11:59 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Playing a team of Italians and a ref who blatantly ignored what he felt like and couldn't tell the time, it was a pretty predictable result. I'm no Scouse fan but I'd have added a further five minutes to the three for the obvious pxxxxxg about by the cheating Italians. The abdominal operation time-waste wouldn't have downed my grand daughter and, apart from Dean Martin, Al Martino, Sophia Loren and Francis Albert I never liked Italians. I still don't.
Risible post, Milan did what any other team in Europe does including Liverpool. Hell, I've seen Bolton do it on many occasions.

I thought Benitez got his tactics right but he didn't have the quality players at his disposal to make it work. The commentators were wanking over Pennant but was I the only one thinking that he was poor? With the amount of possession he had, he could have won it if for them. A decent right or left winger and the game was there for the taking. Better whizz off those "7 times" texts :).
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Thu May 24, 2007 1:13 am

Dr.Karl wrote:The commentators were wanking over Pennant but was I the only one thinking that he was poor?
Not here! I thought that for most of the game his final ball was very poor. He had the opportunity to significantly influence the outcome of the game but he wasn't up to it.

Poor game, but you couldn't argue too much about the result. Shame really as it gave that corrupt w@nker Berlusconi another public platform.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Thu May 24, 2007 1:37 am

Little Green Man wrote:I see TalkSport's top football pundit is predicting that Liverpool will shade a three goal thriller.

Close, but no cigarillo, you beardy wino!

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu May 24, 2007 7:21 am

:lol: a selection of post-game nonsense from the fat bastard Spaniard (not Campo), and his grief-stricken chums :lol:
Steven Gerrard admits his emotions are very different from those two years ago.
no shit Sherlock
Rafa Benitez refused to blame any refereeing decision for Liverpool's defeat in Athens.
Now there's a first
"(At half-time) we were in control," Kuyt told Sky Sports. "We had a few little chances and you have be lucky to score a goal.
No mate, you have to have skill - summert you wouldn't know anything about
Referee Herbert Fandel appeared to blow his whistle at least 30 seconds early - but although annoyed, Benitez refused to use this as a major excuse. "The rules talk about substitutions, yellow card, and players' injuries
Whinge whinge moan moan
Carragher - "I was in two minds as whether to control it or clear it but I should have done better."
Not your fault you were born a clogger
Express - Diana trial twist

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Thu May 24, 2007 8:35 am

how a team with those two numptys on either wing got to the final is beyond me. pennant wasted so much great possession - whilst Zenden couldn't even control it to get it

that was ultimately the difference, that and alonso's eagerness to get the ball no matter where on the pitch and who has it at their feet which led to the first goal

big up to the knobhead scouse fan pissing me off sat behind me in Varsity. not only did he scream incomprehensible scouse dirge for 80-odd mins, but he broke 3 glasses and threw a chair as he stropped out the pub

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu May 24, 2007 8:43 am

Dr.Karl wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Playing a team of Italians and a ref who blatantly ignored what he felt like and couldn't tell the time, it was a pretty predictable result. I'm no Scouse fan but I'd have added a further five minutes to the three for the obvious pxxxxxg about by the cheating Italians. The abdominal operation time-waste wouldn't have downed my grand daughter and, apart from Dean Martin, Al Martino, Sophia Loren and Francis Albert I never liked Italians. I still don't.
Risible post, Milan did what any other team in Europe does including Liverpool. Hell, I've seen Bolton do it on many occasions.

I thought Benitez got his tactics right but he didn't have the quality players at his disposal to make it work. The commentators were wanking over Pennant but was I the only one thinking that he was poor? With the amount of possession he had, he could have won it if for them. A decent right or left winger and the game was there for the taking. Better whizz off those "7 times" texts :).
That's probably because (like most here) I had no real interest in the result, but, since it was the only game around, I watched it. Twas just light-hearted twaddle. A bit like the game really. :wink: I've never seen Maldini make so many errors in his career but AC were about Gatuso and Seedorf. The latter in a Bolton shirt is the stuff of dreams, he was immense. I don't think he lost the ball once in the whole game.

You will of course excuse my hasty error done in all the er, "excitement"
Last edited by TANGODANCER on Thu May 24, 2007 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Backgammon
Promising
Promising

Post by Backgammon » Thu May 24, 2007 9:17 am

I thought it was a good game. What I did enjoy was the fact that liverpool played like a premiership side, and milan struggled to cope. Long balls to the channels, pressure put on the defence high up the pitch etc. I thought they gave a real honest performance.

Star performers
Liverpool:Gerrard - Never stopped battling. Showed he could do everything, pass, move, shoot, head, tackle.
Macherano - Really impressed me in that holding role. Some of his tackling was superb. Not bad a distributing it either.
Milan
Nesta - The best defender on the pitch.
Inzagi - Hardly did fooking anything all game but proved everyone wrong by being the match winner.

Sh#tbags -
Liverpool
Carragher - Looked nervous, made simple mistakes, was a weakness in Liverpool's defence.
Zenden - Why does he play? No pace, no touch, inability to cross a ball. He had one decent opportunity to cross the ball but just elected to kick it as hard as he could instead. The guy's a waster.

Milan
the entire midfield - For all the big names, it was a poor showing. The defensive midfielders weren't deep enough, and the attacking players weren't forward enough. Give me Garry Speed any day.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Thu May 24, 2007 9:22 am

I actually thought Macherano was the best player in the pitch last night.
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!