They want the shirt of your back ....

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:28 am

communistworkethic wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Because of where this thread has headed, there's a horrible part of my brain that has started repeating over and over again....

-bam; -bas, -bat, -barmus, -bartis, -bant

-amo, -amas, -amat, -amamus, -amatis, -amant

and to this day I never worked out what pluperfect was......

gratias ago polus ut est totus secundum mihi

I blame YOU enfieldwhite for starting this all off by mentioning the school motto in the first place :cry:
i isti it imus istis erunt

:wink:
...when I think of all the hours I wasted........

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:30 am

grumio est in horto
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:49 am

communistworkethic wrote:grumio est in horto
5 fecking years of Latin and double Latin....all because I "had to take a Language"....

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:09 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Zulus Thousand of em wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Zulus Thousand of em wrote:Image
There you go!
You were a member of the Secret Service, Zulu? :shock:
Indeed, a shy Thornleigh boy, TD.
Didn't they just have the deer head on the badge without all that other stuff though? Looks like page one of a freemason manual. :wink:
The deer head was the 1st-5th year badge ... shit-brown blazer.

The full, double crest badge, as shown was the 6th form badge, neat, elegant black blazer.

If you were VERY special (a-hem, look's around realises he was the only one present) and you were Head-Boy or Deputy Head-Boy you got an enamel lapel badge of the double version.

Still have it somewhere.

Now ... get yer cap on you snivvling little oik. And why have you got LONG trousers ?? What How did you ever pass your entrance exam ?? do you mean you're the Head of Chemistry ????
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:21 am

Worthy4England wrote:Because of where this thread has headed, there's a horrible part of my brain that has started repeating over and over again....

-bam; -bas, -bat, -barmus, -bartis, -bant
Pim - Pis - Pit ;)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:58 am

Had no choice but to do Latin for the first two years. Notably, my final exam result was 14%, which made them give up on me. Amusingly, it wasn't my lowest result that year (got 10% in an RE exam, most of which I spent diligently colouring in a map of Galilee).

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:30 pm

Everyone should study Latin - it's good for the soul. I ended up taking it to A-level in the end but I will admit that part of me wishes I'd become more proficient in French or German.

I heard the other day that Latin is still compulsory for all German kids... and given their language skills I'd say they're doing something right.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:33 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Everyone should study Latin - it's good for the soul. I ended up taking it to A-level in the end but I will admit that part of me wishes I'd become more proficient in French or German.

I heard the other day that Latin is still compulsory for all German kids... and given their language skills I'd say they're doing something right.

:conf:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:33 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Everyone should study Latin - it's good for the soul. I ended up taking it to A-level in the end but I will admit that part of me wishes I'd become more proficient in French or German.

You took it to A level and still failed to avoid tautology? :mrgreen: I took it at A level as well, and failed O level French the first two times I took it. :oops: Given where I ended up better fluency in French might have been helpful. :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:38 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:

You took it to A level and still failed to avoid tautology? :mrgreen: I took it at A level as well, and failed O level French the first two times I took it. :oops: Given where I ended up better fluency in French might have been helpful. :wink:
Oh dear... that's what comes of doing two things at once.

Anyway, tautology is a Greek word, as you well know! (And that's another subject I took what you might call an O Level in.) :oops:
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:40 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:

:D

Of course it's not actually good for the soul, but it's worth studying and the search for direct 'utility' misses the point somewhat.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:46 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
superjohnmcginlay wrote:

:D

Of course it's not actually good for the soul, but it's worth studying and that the search for direct 'utility' misses the point somewhat.
The only practical use for it that I found after 5 years of hard slog in a subject I was forced to take because all the other languages clashed with sciences, is that it hepled me see the funny side of the scene in the Life of Brian..where Brian daubs the walls...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:47 pm

Funny, as an altar boy for eight years I answered the mass almost every day of the week in Latin. Mind you, it was more parrot -fashion than knowing what the hell I was on about. Sounded good though to the congregation. :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:50 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:

Now French I was forced to take a year early, and passed. I was then forced to do an OA Level (no, me either) in French For Business Studies, which I also passed. Neither has been of any use to me except garnering scorn in Gallic hell-holes where attempting to speak the local language seems to have an effect roughly equivalent to urinating on the corpse of the listener's mother.

Given my time again, I'd like to have done Spanish, but then given my time again, there'd be lots of other things I'd be altering first :wink:

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:55 pm

I had to do latin at secondary school for the first couple of years. Absolute pointless bollox.
It should be banished from modern education like all the other dead languages such as Welsh, Esperanto and COBOL.
Businesswoman of the year.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:57 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:I had to do latin at secondary school for the first couple of years. Absolute pointless bollox.
It should be banished from modern education like all the other dead languages such as Welsh, Esperanto and COBOL.
He's reet

Though I do like those grolling sounds
Sto ut Serviam

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:04 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:I had to do latin at secondary school for the first couple of years. Absolute pointless bollox.
He's reet

Though I do like those grolling sounds
They're quite fun to sing in a Lancastrian accent

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:23 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:

Anyway, tautology is a Greek word, as you well know! (And that's another subject I took what you might call an O Level in.) :oops:
Hmm, the OED give the etymology as [ad. late L. tautologia (c350 in Mar. Plotin. Sacerd.), although it clearly came form the Greek. How about redundancy? :wink: Fortunately I avoided classical Greek with the same dexterity that I avoided the modern.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:34 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

Hmm, the OED give the etymology as [ad. late L. tautologia (c350 in Mar. Plotin. Sacerd.), although it clearly came form the Greek. How about redundancy? :wink: Fortunately I avoided classical Greek with the same dexterity that I avoided the modern.
I know the feeling, I was the same in English!!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:34 pm

enfieldwhite wrote:The Stag's Head was on the Blazer pocket, TD.
I thought it was on Deane Road. :?
May the bridges I burn light your way