Capello's England team thread

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:01 pm

Batman wrote::lol:

that'll be Wayne 'hardly had a touch' Rooney?

be serious man
Rooney seemed to have forgotten where the goal was. doesn't really have that clinical goal-scoring instinct does he

lawro's a first-rate dick and proves it on an incredibly consistent basis

micah richards has been shot in the foot by being turned into a centre half. he's a much better right back than brown, much better going forwards. but doesn't seem to be associated with that role any more

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:01 pm

I turned it off halfway through second half.

Piss boring as ever.

LeeRoyBrown
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by LeeRoyBrown » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:07 pm

Daxter wrote:Lawrenson calls those voting for the MOTM online 'geeks'.
That was brilliant, but I think he's suggesting they have no idea what they're on about by voting Gerrard Englands best player for last year or whatever it was for.

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:13 pm

Interesting how the most impressive English player of the last 6mths only got 2mins at the end.

Poor Ashley Young

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:19 pm

John Motson really cleaned up on the "nice person of the Year" Awards.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:24 pm

jmjhb wrote:Not Capello's fault we're shite!
The buck stops with the manager....he's had more than enough time to turn things around.

Capello Out!
Businesswoman of the year.

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:26 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
jmjhb wrote:Not Capello's fault we're shite!
The buck stops with the manager....he's had more than enough time to turn things around.

Capello Out!

and take Allardyce with you!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:32 pm

Can't blame Capello for that. Even the best mechanics have to find out what's wrong before they can put it right. Now he knows.

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Nobbys Belly
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Nobbys Belly » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:48 pm

At the risk of becoming a social leper I didn't think it was that bad. Secondly at the risk of sounding like LSL there were some positives to be taken.
When we were patient and stopped Rio from launching it from back to front the system worked at the end of the first half and the middle of the second half in particular.
Joe Cole and David Bentley were superb (even if he is a dingle)
when we followed the game plan ball retention was the best we have seen from England in ages, this possession led to chances.

We still look weak from set pieces. I wish Rio could be subbed for these.

It is by no means a new dawn of English domination that the press may make out it is but we have something to build on for the france game where we will get a better picture of how far we have to go.
As long as the wind blows, fortunes can change.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:55 pm

Batman thinks Bentley better than Nolan?

Now I have some ammunition - I could've been as bad as that Dingle tonite, give me a game ffs. :mrgreen:
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:57 pm

I think Nolan's decent enough, but there's no question Bentley is a superior player...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:17 pm

We're talking our national side here; the cream of English football.

Joe Cole, Bentley and SWP were on their games but we were too, too slow in too many areas. The passing standard in general was pretty bad, and we were consistently beaten to the ball, the defence was shambolic at times and they carved us up far too easily. A better finish and they could have had three or four past us.

Ferdinand should not be in there. All too often he slows the momentum down by sideways and back passing because he just can't take a man on and beat him. In his desire to glory grab he's too often where he shouldn't be. Barry was our most composed player for a while, but even his passes started to go astray. We were okay in flashes but that isn't good enough in internationals. Unless the Swiss have shot up into the top four or five in world ratings without us knowing, the performance was not nearly good enough, win or no win. Capello's big test is next match now he knows what he's got to work with. Bet he's got a headache right now.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:28 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:We're talking our national side here; the cream of English football.

Joe Cole, Bentley and SWP were on their games but we were too, too slow in too many areas. The passing standard in general was pretty bad, and we were consistently beaten to the ball, the defence was shambolic at times and they carved us up far too easily. A better finish and they could have had three or four past us.

Ferdinand should not be in there. All too often he slows the momentum down by sideways and back passing because he just can't take a man on and beat him. In his desire to glory grab he's too often where he shouldn't be. Barry was our most composed player for a while, but even his passes started to go astray. We were okay in flashes but that isn't good enough in internationals. Unless the Swiss have shot up into the top four or five in world ratings without us knowing, the performance was not nearly good enough, win or no win. Capello's big test is next match now he knows what he's got to work with. Bet he's got a headache right now.
This is what i don't understand about England fans/pundits/whatever. We haven't qualified for Euro 2008, we're shite. The Swiss (regardless of how they qualified, or more accurately didn't) are going to be at Euro 2008. So i don't understand why we're expected to turn up and knock 6 past them. Considering we're starting from pretty much rock bottom, i'd say beating the Swiss is a good result.

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:54 am

Lord Kangana wrote:Batman thinks Bentley better than Nolan?

Now I have some ammunition - I could've been as bad as that Dingle tonite, give me a game ffs. :mrgreen:

I posted that during the first half

he was wank after then

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:22 am

Tombwfc wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:We're talking our national side here; the cream of English football.

This is what i don't understand about England fans/pundits/whatever. We haven't qualified for Euro 2008, we're shite. The Swiss (regardless of how they qualified, or more accurately didn't) are going to be at Euro 2008. So i don't understand why we're expected to turn up and knock 6 past them. Considering we're starting from pretty much rock bottom, i'd say beating the Swiss is a good result.
Don't go ruining a perfectly good nonsensical rant by coming up with reason and logic! Don't forget, England have had a full 2 days with the new boss to sort out their shortcomings.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:47 am

What you lot moanin' at we won didn't we?? thought that was all you wanted to see, half of you at least, a result no matter what!! :wink:
Tis a real shame CAPS ain't about, if he could be bothered watching it I'm sure he would be almost in raptures at getting a result!
Aye England are like BWFC But with the Rolls Royce version of the AntiChrist in charge!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:59 am

communistworkethic wrote: Don't go ruining a perfectly good nonsensical rant by coming up with reason and logic! Don't forget, England have had a full 2 days with the new boss to sort out their shortcomings.
In the honest opinion of the oppressed one, no doubt. :roll:

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:10 pm

TBH I lost faith in England a few years back.

Baby Bentleys, too many players clearly either not trying or not good enough, the crazy decision that we HAD to play at Wembley, the guaranteed quota of Spurs and WetSpam players in the squad, Trevor Brooking....an endless list.

Plus 'our golden generation, good enough to win a World Cup' crap.

If they are, then shut up telling me how good you are, and get down to the business of SHOWING me on the pitch how good you are.

Mini-rant over (for now).
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:17 pm

I thought Rooney was class last night for what it's worth. Disappointed with the fact that again a 'mediocre' football nation seem so much better with the ball on the deck than our 'world class superstars'

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:44 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:TBH I lost faith in England a few years back.

Baby Bentleys, too many players clearly either not trying or not good enough, the crazy decision that we HAD to play at Wembley, the guaranteed quota of Spurs and WetSpam players in the squad, Trevor Brooking....an endless list.

Plus 'our golden generation, good enough to win a World Cup' crap.

If they are, then shut up telling me how good you are, and get down to the business of SHOWING me on the pitch how good you are.

Mini-rant over (for now).
Well said, can't comment on the match, cleaning out the guinea pigs was more interesting :wink: