Champions League tonight

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:07 pm

blurred wrote:Heard he was arrested on the M62 after last night's game, too.

Apparently he was heading in the wrong direction.
Beat you to it, plastic scouse!!

Look on the Joke thread! :mrgreen:

Leave me to gloat now please, peasant!!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:30 pm

boltonboris wrote:
blurred wrote:Heard he was arrested on the M62 after last night's game, too.

Apparently he was heading in the wrong direction.
Beat you to it, plastic scouse!!

Look on the Joke thread! :mrgreen:

Leave me to gloat now please, peasant!!
Actually it was The Spanish waiter after a lift home who got told by Riise he was heading in the wrong direction!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:07 pm

United are not looking too good right now. Messi, the lot-less monster, is mullering em. Oh, did I mention that Ronaldo the wonderboy missed a penalty. Dear dear. :|
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:11 pm

Not watching it because:

A) I won't buy Sky.
B) I'm keeping true to my Grandad's memory by not letting that shower's name be uttered in my home.

If they were to lose, however, I shall delightedly join in the post match banter. :twisted:
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:33 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Not watching it because:

A) I won't buy Sky.
B) I'm keeping true to my Grandad's memory by not letting that shower's name be uttered in my home.

If they were to lose, however, I shall delightedly join in the post match banter. :twisted:
I haven't got Sky either. I have got Sopcast though. Channel 3611 :wink:

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:39 pm

I've got sky, but not going to watch it.

a) I'm about to go play meself
b) It's the scum
c) there's better things to watch than Andy Gray basically climaxing over every Utd player. Like QVC

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:43 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote:I've got sky, but not going to watch it.

a) I'm about to go play meself
b) It's the scum
c) there's better things to watch than Andy Gray basically climaxing over every Utd player. Like QVC
I seriously hope a) isn't connected to to b)

And God forbid c)

:shock:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:47 pm

Andy Gray ruins my enjoyment of football. I cannot watch what must be surely one of the games of the season because it means that I have to listen to that complete and utter wanker remarking on how a decent strike, something that I'm perfectly capable of judging for myself is a "Good hit". c*nt.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:42 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Andy Gray ruins my enjoyment of football. I cannot watch what must be surely one of the games of the season because it means that I have to listen to that complete and utter wanker remarking on how a decent strike, something that I'm perfectly capable of judging for myself is a "Good hit". c*nt.
Think thats a bit harsh personally. For me Gray is one of the least biased co-commentators and his analysis usually adds something interesting to the discussion rather than the usual "shhhhhhocking defending" or "great goal" efforts of the BBC!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:48 pm

"Job well done for United" said Grey. Really? Okay, it ended 0-0 after United managing two shots on goal all game, one of which was Ronaldo missing a penalty. . Rooney did absolutely nothing, Tevez likewise. Both were substituted as Barcelona played em off the park. Ronaldo met the biggest homer ref I've ever seen, I must confess, who let the Barca's kick seven colours out of him and Barca put a better ariel acrobatics show on than Cirque de Soliel, every one getting a free kick. Not sure whether it was 107 or 108.

Messi, (until he went off injured), Deco, Eto'o and Yaya Toure ran rings round the United defence but consistently tried to walk the ball in and subsequently didn't. Zambrotta, in addition to kicking lumps out of Ronaldo, tormented them from defence and quite often from attack too. "Finest team in England"? Not from where I was sitting. Great when players like Henri can come on as subs and Ronaldhino not even get on the bench. Unless United put up a whole lot better show next week, it's "Adios amigos" time.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:05 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Andy Gray ruins my enjoyment of football. I cannot watch what must be surely one of the games of the season because it means that I have to listen to that complete and utter wanker remarking on how a decent strike, something that I'm perfectly capable of judging for myself is a "Good hit". c*nt.
Think thats a bit harsh personally. For me Gray is one of the least biased co-commentators and his analysis usually adds something interesting to the discussion rather than the usual "shhhhhhocking defending" or "great goal" efforts of the BBC!
I didn't say that he was biased, just the most patronising wankshaft on Earth.
May the bridges I burn light your way

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:19 pm

United looked strangely lethargic and Barcelona played well to make them look average. 0-0 is a good result in the Nou Camp though, and United must stand a great chance of winning the game in front of their own fans.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:43 pm

didn't watch it cos

a) am in london and finding sports tv is like finding a virgin after freshers week
b) 1st legs of champs league semis are always wank

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:46 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:didn't watch it cos

a) am in london and finding sports tv is like finding a virgin after freshers week
b) 1st legs of champs league semis are always wank
Go past the fountain at the bottom of Picadilly circus, can't remeber the name of the road, but it goes through to Trafalgar square. Massive sports bar (called the sports bar?). If it ain't on there, it ain't on anywhere :wink:
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:50 pm

i didn't get that far. london's not like horwich you know :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:17 pm

Out of interest, where are you HRG?

Like last night I didn't really watch it - it was on in the background like radio, I paid attention to what was needed. I chuckled inwardly toward the end when Gray heard himself chirrup that semi-finals were often dull and quickly adding "but the second leg will be better".

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:04 am

staying overlooking hyde park on bayswater road. was tooting around marble arch area for one before and failed miserably

there WAS however lots of sad looking red and white bunting beginning to fall off the walls, lots of real ales on pump with their signs turned round and some red-faced men swaying on chairs in their england tops

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:08 am

Tango - Just to let you know, Ronaldinho is injured and won't play again this season.....

..... Probably wouldn't have made the starting 11 anyways

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:17 am

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:
I seriously hope a) isn't connected to to b)

And God forbid c)

:shock:
:lol:

Nope a) and b) weren't connected.

c) aye, god forbid.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:46 pm

Oh my God. We've lost. There's just no way we can be prepared for this:
http://www.chelseafc.com/xxchelsea18070 ... _2209129_1

Thu, 24th Apr 2008

Home fixture double-headers don't come much bigger than the one Stamford Bridge hosts over the next week and while the stadium should be at its most passionate, efforts will be made to ensure it is also at its most colourful for the visit of Liverpool next week.

Flags have become as much a part of Champions League nights at the Bridge as the pre-kick-off anthem and referees from foreign parts and 30,000 new flags will be placed in the stands for next Wednesday night.There will also be the new giants flags you may have noticed flying high in recent weeks and supporters can play their part by adding to the colour and by filling the stadium early to build the atmosphere prior to the whistle.

This season, one free flag has been placed at every other seat but against Liverpool, there will be a flag awaiting at each seat in the regular parts of the stadium.

'With it being the last Champions League game of the season at home, but hopefully not our last Champions League game, we want to have a fantastic atmosphere,' says Wesley Barton, stadium tours supervisor who is much-involved in the flag project.

'It creates a bit of atmosphere seeing that sea of blue when the players come out and it is great for TV as well. Anything to try to inspire the players is worth it. We have heard the players do like it and anything to give them that extra one per cent is valuable.'

At the last few matches there has been a new addition to the flags, based on successful displays originally seen in stadia overseas.

'We now have a few giant flags waved in front of the West Stand. We trialled them for a couple of Premier League games to use them for this game [liverpool]. It is some of the tour guides that actually wave them,' explains Barton.

Free flags have been placed around the stadium en masse since October last season. They were handed out in smaller numbers on entry at a few league games before that.

'The first game we placed them at the seats was when we hosted Barcelona in the group stage. We beat them 1-0 and Drogba scored that great goal. We did every seat then as well,' recalls Barton. 'Most of the fans take them home. I think most people have about ten flags in their bedroom, but we try to encourage them to bring them back as well.

'We have seen a few brought back for Premier League games and it would be great if people could keep bringing them back and build on the atmosphere.'
30,000 plastic flags? Our players will shit themselves...