Bookies pay out on Stoke being relegated

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BwfcDan
Reliable
Reliable

Bookies pay out on Stoke being relegated

Post by BwfcDan » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:26 pm

http://www.bettingzone.co.uk/story_g...al_171823.html

STOKE DOOMED SAY BOOKIES
Sky Bet's Odds Compare All Prices

Bookie Paddy Power are paying out on Stoke City's relegation from the Premier League following their opening day defeat at the hands of Bolton!

The payout, expected to cost the firm around £30,000, is the first time a bookie has paid out on a season-long bet on the first day of the campaign.

Stoke were always expected to struggle in the top flight, with their pre-season relegation odds as short as 4/9. But having lost 3-1 to fellow relegation candidates Bolton their odds have tumbled further to 2/7.

Paddy Power himself said: "Stoke fans knew they were in for a tough season just to survive and this defeat has confirmed it.

"If you're losing to the likes of Bolton there really isn't much hope."

The firm are also offering Stoke season ticket holders a no-strings attached free £50 bet, with Power adding: "Perhaps our silver lining offer on a grey day for Potters fans will ease the pain of the long season ahead."
Cheeky B**tards!!
"Im a big fish in a small pond"... "Your not a big fish! Your not even a fish!"

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:09 pm

The wankers should be paying out on us not getting relegated!

Then again, fxck em, let them lose their money!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:37 pm

I have to agree with Paddy P. Teams losing to us must be bad. If I was a "top-half" team I might be tempted to play half the reserves........

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:29 pm

Worthy4England wrote:I have to agree with Paddy P. Teams losing to us must be bad. If I was a "top-half" team I might be tempted to play half the reserves........
:mrgreen:
Businesswoman of the year.

WoodpeckerBWFC
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Bookies pay out on Stoke being relegated

Post by WoodpeckerBWFC » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:32 pm

BwfcDan wrote:http://www.bettingzone.co.uk/story_g...al_171823.html

STOKE DOOMED SAY BOOKIES
Sky Bet's Odds Compare All Prices

Bookie Paddy Power are paying out on Stoke City's relegation from the Premier League following their opening day defeat at the hands of Bolton!

The payout, expected to cost the firm around £30,000, is the first time a bookie has paid out on a season-long bet on the first day of the campaign.

Stoke were always expected to struggle in the top flight, with their pre-season relegation odds as short as 4/9. But having lost 3-1 to fellow relegation candidates Bolton their odds have tumbled further to 2/7.

Paddy Power himself said: "Stoke fans knew they were in for a tough season just to survive and this defeat has confirmed it.

"If you're losing to the likes of Bolton by 2 goals then you've got really good hope."

The firm are also offering Stoke season ticket holders a no-strings attached free £50 bet, with Power adding: "Perhaps our silver lining offer on a grey day for Potters fans will ease the pain of the long season ahead."
That's better

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:22 pm

Paddy Power does stuff like this, though this is pretty quick, even for him.

He justifies it by saying that experience shows almost evry penny is "re-invested" and it gives great publicity.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:15 am

Pah. Marketing stunt. Trying to get loyal business, in the hope he pays out early on other sure things early. Massive gamble by the bookies themselves, but it probably puts more over the counter from punters than towards them.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:28 am

:lol:

I just remembered why I support this club. Classic.
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

SuperWhiteWarrior
Promising
Promising

Post by SuperWhiteWarrior » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:02 pm

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Where The One And Only Wanderers

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:08 pm

Comments like that hurt more from a bookie because they are only in it for the money. Journo's can have their favourites and their foibles, bookies can't afford to.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:19 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Comments like that hurt more from a bookie because they are only in it for the money. Journo's can have their favourites and their foibles, bookies can't afford to.
I would assume that since they have paid out on Stoke now, it is because they truely believe they are going down. I also assume they will take no more bets on them going down. In all likelyhood they will ultimately save money by paying out now. Sure it is a bit of a jab at Bolton, but it seems more an excuse to bail out on this bet

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:17 pm

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:Pah. Marketing stunt. Trying to get loyal business, in the hope he pays out early on other sure things early. Massive gamble by the bookies themselves, but it probably puts more over the counter from punters than towards them.
If they only have a £30k liability, then not much of a gamble at all, huge marketing stunt for a very small outlay. PP are very quirky and very unique in their gimmicks, this is just another very clever one from them.

seanworth wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:Comments like that hurt more from a bookie because they are only in it for the money. Journo's can have their favourites and their foibles, bookies can't afford to.
I would assume that since they have paid out on Stoke now, it is because they truely believe they are going down. I also assume they will take no more bets on them going down. In all likelyhood they will ultimately save money by paying out now. Sure it is a bit of a jab at Bolton, but it seems more an excuse to bail out on this bet
Not really. Now they can't take any bets on Stoke, who they would be pricing very very short to deter punters backing them, and tempting them with higher odds on some of the more unlikely candidates, so the likelyhood is this would cost them money.

of course now they'll be paying two places on a 'without Stoke' market.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:22 am

I hope Stoke take the p*ss and stay up now!

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:35 am

Just for the fun of it, I emailed Paddy Power:

"If you're losing to the likes of Bolton there really isn't much hope." If that's Paddy's opinion then he can stick my account where the sun doesn't shine. Bolton beat quite a view teams - including top four teams - every season. Please see that Paddy gets the message. Thanks.

They replied:

Thank you for contacting Paddy Power Customer Support.
Your feedback is very important to us. Your opinions, comments and suggestions, whether they be positive or negative are always welcome.
Your suggestions have been passed onto the relevant department for further discussion.
If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us.
Kind Regards,
James Kielty
Paddy Power Customer Service

I know it doesn't mean anything - but think of the money I'll save! :)

I'll let you know if I hear any more more, which I doubt.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Trickyvegas
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Trickyvegas » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:02 pm

For the amount of exposure they will get, £30,000 probably represents good value for money. Even more so if they manage to stay up.

Keep the anti-Bolton sentiments coming from all corners, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

sammysmammy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by sammysmammy » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:10 pm

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:Just for the fun of it, I emailed Paddy Power:

"If you're losing to the likes of Bolton there really isn't much hope." If that's Paddy's opinion then he can stick my account where the sun doesn't shine. Bolton beat quite a view teams - including top four teams - every season. Please see that Paddy gets the message. Thanks.
"quite a view teams"

wtf? are you really that thick? :lol: :lol:

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:55 pm

sammysmammy wrote:
Zulus Thousand of em wrote:Just for the fun of it, I emailed Paddy Power:

"quite a view teams"

wtf? are you really that thick? :lol: :lol:
:roll:
Not sure there's any need for you to have a multiple over it, is there?
Businesswoman of the year.

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:58 pm

Zulus' looking into it.
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:41 pm

InsaneApache wrote:Zulus' looking into it.
Good. A bit steep on his 27th post ... or does he know you ???
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:43 pm

Just moved this ...

If you ever wondered whether Stoke were serious about surviving this season then here's your answer ....
Quote:
Stoke striker Ricardo Fuller says his best pal from Jamaica - Olympic 100/200m king Usain Bolt - is welcome to join him in a tour of the City's nightclubs.
Also, I heard 2 atheletes, including 'our' silver medal high jumper, claim to be his best friend this week. Seems a friendly sort.

Anyway, I'm sure he can get his supplies in Stoke as easily as anywhere else !

Ever been to Stoke ?? The town itself is as grim as anywhere in the UK, Middlesbrough & Merthyr Tydfil excepted.