Best player you've ever seen in the flesh

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:01 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
bw@bw wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:I saw Pele against Bulgaria (brutal swines they were) and against Eusebio's Portugal in 1966. Just down the road it was... (well, Goodison Park I think). Wasn't his best day as he was fouled and hurt a lot. Eusebio looked pretty good mind.
me too

saw all brazil's games

so Pele has to be very high on the list.
I don't think Brazil ever lost when Pele and Garrincha (sp?) were in the same team. They both played against Bulgaria, but Pele missed the second against Hungary and Garrincha the third against Portugal, and they lost both. Bit of a disappointment really. The quarterfinal between Portugal and Korea was fun and looked like a big upset at half time - did you get to see that one?
yes I did.

It was unreal

Eusebio scored 4 IIRC and pulled Portugal back virtually single handed.

If you saw alll of those - did you also see the Hungary Brazil match - for my money probably the best football match I have ever seen (FIFA official rankings have it about 5th best World Cup match ever)? On that match alone I would be tempted to put Florian Albert and Ferenc Bene in my all time greats list.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:01 pm

Pele, Garrincha, Gerson, Orlando, Gylmar, Tostao, Edu, Jairzinho and the rest of the Brazilian 1966 World Cup Squad training on Bromwich Street and Eusebio playing in Eddie Hopkinson's testimonial at Burnden Park.

And I got Gerson and Orlando's autographs - still got 'em!
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:03 pm

bw@bw wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
bw@bw wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:I saw Pele against Bulgaria (brutal swines they were) and against Eusebio's Portugal in 1966. Just down the road it was... (well, Goodison Park I think). Wasn't his best day as he was fouled and hurt a lot. Eusebio looked pretty good mind.
me too

saw all brazil's games

I don't think Brazil ever lost when Pele and Garrincha (sp?) were in the same team. They both played against Bulgaria, but Pele missed the second against Hungary and Garrincha the third against Portugal, and they lost both. Bit of a disappointment really. The quarterfinal between Portugal and Korea was fun and looked like a big upset at half time - did you get to see that one?
yes I did.

It was unreal

If you saw alll of those - did you also see the Hungary Brazil match - for my money probably the best football match I have ever seen (FIFA official rankings have it about 5th best World Cup match ever)? On that match alone I would be tempted to put Florian Albert and Ferenc Bene in my all time greats list.
Totally agree!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:12 pm

bw@bw wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
bw@bw wrote:
me too

saw all brazil's games

yes I did.

It was unreal

:oops: No, decided to skip that one (financial considerations or something) and watched on TV. If there is a truly great game it usually the one i decide against going. Eusebio did have four goals against North Korea (but 2 were penalties). Albert was brilliant on his day, but very moody.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:22 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
bw@bw wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
bw@bw wrote:
me too

saw all brazil's games

yes I did.

It was unreal

:oops: No, decided to skip that one (financial considerations or something) and watched on TV. If there is a truly great game it usually the one i decide against going. Eusebio did have four goals against North Korea (but 2 were penalties). Albert was brilliant on his day, but very moody.

It's hard to convey these days the atmosphere that those matches produced. Nowadays we see all the world -wide superstars on TV every week - so everything is very familiar. In those days we had only heard of players such as Pele and Garrincha and at best seen them on newsreel film of previous world cups- it was like seeing players from another planet.

Overall (despit Bulgaria) I think we were very lucky in the group that we had in the North West. Some of the other matches were dross - but we saw fantastic football.

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:32 pm

Batman wrote:ronaldo has never ripped us apart (touch wood)
his man utd debut?

last season he wasn't too bad either, scored two excellent goals early on and didn't need to break a sweat afterwards

Batman

Post by Batman » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:33 pm

i wish people would read the title of the thread

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:41 pm

FOR BOLTON ; -
Franie Lee
Frank Worthington
J-J
Fernando Hierro (just a shame we didn't see him at his peak. Can you imagine it ??)
Youri (ditto)
Peter Reid
Eidur G
Sasa Curcic
Gudni B

AGAINST BOLTON ; -
Georgi Hagi
Eric Cantona (sorry, but ...)
Ruud Gullitt
Rudi Krol, Johann Cruff, Neeskins (1978 pre-season friendly v Ajax)
Peter Shilton
Alan Ball
Colin Bell
Martin Buchan
Liam Brady
Glenn Hoddle
Franc Ribery

I know there's lots more, but this is OK for now
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:27 pm

bobo the clown wrote:FOR BOLTON ; -
Franie Lee
Frank Worthington
J-J
Fernando Hierro (just a shame we didn't see him at his peak. Can you imagine it ??)
Youri (ditto)
Peter Reid
Eidur G
Sasa Curcic
Gudni B

AGAINST BOLTON ; -
Georgi Hagi
Eric Cantona (sorry, but ...)
Ruud Gullitt
Rudi Krol, Johann Cruff, Neeskins (1978 pre-season friendly v Ajax)
Peter Shilton
Alan Ball
Colin Bell
Martin Buchan
Liam Brady
Glenn Hoddle
Franc Ribery

I'm surprised Sam never tried to sign Krol Neeskens and Cruyff!

(and I'm a tad envious you got to see 'em in the flesh, the old footage of those teams is like football nirvana for me)
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

tony cunninghams willy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by tony cunninghams willy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:41 pm

Ruud Gullitt

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:08 pm

Okocha
Sto ut Serviam

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:19 am

There was a guy who subbed for my team once and scored a hat-trick from inside the center circle. That was awesome.

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:24 am

Podolski

Luca Toni

Okocha

Hierro

Mcginley
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:54 am

H. Pedersen wrote:There was a guy who subbed for my team once and scored a hat-trick from inside the center circle. That was awesome.
... or seriously crap goalkeeping! :D
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:48 pm

George Best :oops:

NWhiteley
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by NWhiteley » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:06 pm

Ronaldo, when he played for PSV. It was against Leeds, in October, during the 1995/96 season when he won his first UEFA player of the year award.
He totally ran the game, playing along side one Eidur Gudjohnsen. Playing for Leeds that night, was Gary Speed and we came rock bottom of the Premier League that season.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:44 pm

Gudjohnsen, easily.

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:31 pm

Franie Lee
Frank Worthington
J-J
Youri (ditto)
Peter Reid
Eidur G
Sasa Curcic
Gudni B

Would largely go along with this -Biggest Omission being Peter Thompson even if not at his peak either

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:05 pm

bw@bw wrote:
Franie Lee
Frank Worthington
J-J
Youri (ditto)
Peter Reid
Eidur G
Sasa Curcic
Gudni B

Would largely go along with this -Biggest Omission being Peter Thompson even if not at his peak either
Yep, the original TOMO was excellent. At least in home games. Didn't like it away, where the refs didn't give him much protection. What was Shankley thinking of getting rid?

thevza
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by thevza » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:34 pm

juan roman riquelme in the copa america.