England Squad

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:23 pm

No gives me summat to laugh at :)

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:05 pm

Only three strikers? No Agbonlahor?

And, now Carrick's out, why replace a deep lying midfielder with an attacking one? I assume Owen Hargeaves is injured....

And Stewart Downing over Ashley Young. I thought Capello knew his football and had the balls to tell the FA's sponsors that he'll pick the team.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

Marshall
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Marshall » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:29 pm

There was an interview with Capello a few months ago, possibly during Euro 2008, and Lineker asked Capello if there were any players who he was suprised with (as in, players who were better than he thought). To which Capello replied 'only Stewart Downing'.

So I think we'll probably be seeing quite a bit of Mr Downing.

BWFC_Wyles
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BWFC_Wyles » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:43 pm

Davo will never get in and it's an absolute joke! The man deserves a chance!
"Anything else you'd like? How about real lead in the radiation shields? Urinal cakes, maybe?"

NWhiteley
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by NWhiteley » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:28 pm

MMMMM Baros has scored, cant say im surprised or too bothered about it though.
Last edited by NWhiteley on Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:30 pm

who cares

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:04 pm

I do, I'd rather our country did well than be shit

So what have we learned so far....

What did we know already but has been cemented: Defoe is shit, Becks is past it, Rooney can't hold his position, Gerrard will only play a hollywood ball, Lampard becomes useless in his country colours, James has a shit hair do

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:05 pm

knew all that five years go

still playing the same retards

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:08 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:Becks is past it
Sounds like you've been listening to the commentary team too much.

So sick of people harping on about Beckham's "legs" and "energy" and saying things like "thats why he's in the team".

He's set up our goal, he's good enough.

Oh and quite apart from everything the commentary team would have you believe, he's ran his socks off tonight so far, looked as fit as anyone in our team right now. Despite the commentators constantly whinging about him "not getting down the byline" they've failed to notice that more often than not, he does get down there but gets ignored in favour of playing the ball backwards or into the middle for Barry or Lampard to give it away.

I can't believe I'm actually defending Beckham, I'm usually very very critical of him.

Gerrard the best player for us though, as usual.

Rooney doesn't seem to understand what a "striker" is though, despite linking up brilliantly with Gerrard, as usual.

Lampard though...I don't see why he's in the team? He's not used like he is at Chelsea and he doesn't get the chance to influence the game at all.

Oh and Barry at home, in a friendly? Not for me.
Last edited by FD on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:10 pm

gerrard and lumpard are too interested in their own glory to fit in the same team

will always go for a shot rather than a pass

or in steve me's case, a dive

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:42 pm

At least it's on Setanta so most of the nation can't be embarassed by their shit.

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:44 pm

itv later on, for the masochists

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:02 pm

FD wrote:
Bollocks, I can see enough with my own eyes. Their first goal was due to him giving the ball away, the fourth time he'd given the ball away. And his delivery was shit too. It's not just physical evidence that he's past it, his mind isn't as sharp either

Gerrard was piss poor. Can't play a simple ball, always has to try something fancy despite the obvious being on.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:15 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:
FD wrote:
Bollocks, I can see enough with my own eyes. Their first goal was due to him giving the ball away, the fourth time he'd given the ball away. And his delivery was shit too. It's not just physical evidence that he's past it, his mind isn't as sharp either

Gerrard was piss poor. Can't play a simple ball, always has to try something fancy despite the obvious being on.
And why is he (a footballer) flying off to Beijing as our representative for London 2012, when we don't enter a British football team? Maybe if he wasn't spending so much time gallivanting around the globe arsing around he's still have something to offer the national team.

One or the other Mr Beckham!

P.S. I'm sure Chelsea are happy that Lampard didn't play tonight. What with Cole, Cole and Chech all involved.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:51 pm

I'd just like to add that I'm not particularly fond of Stevie "play a simple pass you limelight seeking hollywood ball obsessed c*nt faced tw*t" G either.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:57 pm

lampard did play, dave

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:59 pm

Right, watched the highlights, so can only give a truncated view of this.

- If England must persist with the "but we can't play anything else apart from 4-4-2, boss" philosophy, at least have midfielders who will remember that their first defensive responsibility is to keep the shape, and behind the ball when it's in the middle third. This particularly applies to the wide men, especialy just after one of these has lost the ball in themiddle third. The last thing you want to see is, five seconds after your left winger has just lost it to a central midfielder, your right winger chasing the ball toward your left wing and your left winger strolling back across the centre line. The two most famous midfielders in England are also the two most likely to pull your midfield out of position with their wandering, no matter where they play. And that's for club or country. Want proof? Watch tonight's match.

- Never realised how bad Steven Gerrard's first touch is until tonight. It's very easy to draw a foul from a defender when you've inadvertently showed him enough of the ball for him to go for.

- We've looked worse going forward. We've looked less predictable, but we have looked worse. Thought Jermain Defoe was the only lively one in the first half, and with a little more composure might have had a couple tonight. Harshly done by to be subbed for Heskey at half time. He probably needs a big man to play off.

- David James is shit at free kicks. Defending them, obviously, not taking them. Remember Zidane's free kick in Euro 2004? He made exactly the same mistake tonight. Poor positioning, far too central. Fair enough, good striker, but James could have given himself at least half a chance. There was six (four plus two marking two Czechs at the end) in his wall, for fack's sake.

Sod it, can't be doing with any more. Bored of picking it to pieces.

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:04 am

good to see gerrard ignoring the goalscoring chance in favour of a pathetic dive

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:10 am

Suppose that's what a season with Torres does.

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:11 am

he was cheating before that other cheat turned up