Sky Sports: Bolton agree fee with Newcastle for Nolan

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

marshall_42
Promising
Promising

Post by marshall_42 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:26 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Have been hearing that all has not been well in the dressing room with Mr Nolan ( not the team in general) at the heart of it all. He's, apparently, not been up to scratch in more ways than just on the pitch. Can't say more but it's from a good source or I wouldn't broach the topic. If true, then maybe better for all concerned if he goes.
SHhhhh. Don't tellt he Barcodes!

runningonbravado
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by runningonbravado » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:31 am

Well, that's a shock to wake up to. I'm in two minds. He was a good player but whenever I've seen him, sparks of brilliance fail to shine, so I'm not too bothered to see him go. That's not what worries me though. Unless we're using the money for Veloso (unlikely), or some other world class (and I mean like Anelka quality) player, then I think we're doodlebugging straight into the Championship.

On the bright side, once he goes and gets his dinner in Newcastle today and finds the pies aren't as good, he'll be back :)

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:33 am

hoboh2o wrote:
jimbo wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Have been hearing that all has not been well in the dressing room with Mr Nolan ( not the team in general) at the heart of it all. He's, apparently, not been up to scratch in more ways than just on the pitch. Can't say more but it's from a good source or I wouldn't broach the topic. If true, then maybe better for all concerned if he goes.
Interesting TD. You saying that has triggered something deep in my mind from Wednesday night. With a couple of minutes to go in the first half, Samuel (who had been excellent) made a mistake and Nolan gave him a right bollocking. Samuel must have said something back as both players sort of had to be separated. This carried on after the whistle and they were still arguing down the tunnel. Could this have affected the team and made them play like that in the second half?
If what TD has heard is something similar to what whispers I've been hearing it runs along the lines of "yeah your good with the mouth bit but if you ain't delivering who the hell are you to have a go at us"?
Seems people want their captin to lead by example as well as the mouth, so the half time thing may not be far off the mark.
Nothing more than than most have been saying for a while. End of an era stuff, but c'est la vie, onwards and upwards etc. Wish him luck where he goes, seems its a good move for both parties.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:37 am

thebish wrote:
coffeymagic wrote:
coffeymagic wrote:Selling our club captain? The day before the most important game in this clubs history?
deep breaths mate... deep breaths!!!! HYPERBOLE ALERT!!!!!!!! :crazy:
I was just refering back to my opinion of yesterday as today's fish and chip paper. The most important meal of the day is the next one.

I'll tell you something though they'll be holy fecking hell to pay if we get beat won't there?
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:40 am

FD wrote:Maybe I'm reading something more that there is, but I think there's something wrong with this deal...
Bolton manager Gary Megson today admitted he knew little about captain Kevin Nolan’s impending move to Barclays Premier League rivals Newcastle.

The club have agreed a transfer fee believed to be in the region of £4.5m and Megson confirmed Nolan was on Tyneside undergoing a medical this morning.

Megson – who ruled the possibility of signing Miguel Veloso from Sporting Lisbon – was reluctant to go into detail about Nolan’s transfer.

“The situation as we speak is that the club received a bid from Newcastle which the club accepted and he’s up there having a medical at the moment,” said Megson.

“For any more details that you’re going to need or want to know you will have to go to the press office of the football club and they will let you know what we’re doing.

“That’s as far as I’m going to go with it.”

Bolton’s 26-year-old captain, who has made 323 appearances for the club since his debut in 1999, now looks almost certain to join one of the Trotters’ main relegation rivals.
Weird indeed. I thought the Frandsen-to-Blackburn comparison was a little over the top but Megson's quote does nowt to calm that down.

jenkz
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by jenkz » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:46 am

Yes it is odd thats it looks to have been done behind Megsons back, and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Nolan stayed behind to sort of his minor injury in order to pass any transfer medicals coming up. For me its the right move, Nolan is good at positioning himself, especially when on the defensive, but his lack of pace and slow response time means he isn't the attacking player he once was. For me a good valuation or a player who hasn't played well for a while. Hope theres a few extra conditions like sell on clauses or amount of games etc that are added onto that value. You never know he might come good again.
Nat Lofthouse:

“in my day, there were plenty of fellas who would kick your b****cks off. The difference was that at the end of the match they would shake your hand and help you look for them!”

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

jenkz wrote:Yes it is odd thats it looks to have been done behind Megsons back, and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Nolan stayed behind to sort of his minor injury in order to pass any transfer medicals coming up. For me its the right move, Nolan is good at positioning himself, especially when on the defensive, but his lack of pace and slow response time means he isn't the attacking player he once was. For me a good valuation or a player who hasn't played well for a while. Hope theres a few extra conditions like sell on clauses or amount of games etc that are added onto that value. You never know he might come good again.
Newcastle haven't been the best at picking up potential injury worries have they, they took Owen on ffs. :D

I think he could walk in with wooden legs and get past the medical.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:52 am

I'll just say that I was planning a "Kevin Nolan - Miguel Veloso" conspiracy theory article even before all this came down . . . and everything is fitting neatly into my theory. Stay tuned . . .

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:55 am

H. Pedersen wrote:I'll just say that I was planning a "Kevin Nolan - Miguel Veloso" conspiracy theory article even before all this came down . . . and everything is fitting neatly into my theory. Stay tuned . . .
Apart from the fact Megson has said the Veloso dead is "dead in the water" you mean?
Last edited by FD on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

jenkz
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by jenkz » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:55 am

H. Pedersen wrote:I'll just say that I was planning a "Kevin Nolan - Miguel Veloso" conspiracy theory article even before all this came down . . . and everything is fitting neatly into my theory. Stay tuned . . .
Make sure u put in a side part about Vukecik (if thats how you spell his name), I still think the Veloso deal was all smoke and mirrors for him.
Nat Lofthouse:

“in my day, there were plenty of fellas who would kick your b****cks off. The difference was that at the end of the match they would shake your hand and help you look for them!”

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:02 am

FD wrote:
Apart from the fact Megson has said the Veloso dead is "dead in the water" you mean?
Not really relevant to my argument.

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:03 am

jenkz wrote:
Make sure u put in a side part about Vukecik (if thats how you spell his name), I still think the Veloso deal was all smoke and mirrors for him.
Is this an appendix to your conspiracy theorem regarding Jussi, his bad back, putting himself out to the market jobbie?
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:06 am

enfieldwhite wrote:
jenkz wrote:
Is this an appendix to your conspiracy theorem regarding Jussi, his bad back, putting himself out to the market jobbie?
If I recall correctly, Jussi DID in fact have a "miracle recovery" and did not need surgery.

tony cunninghams willy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by tony cunninghams willy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:09 am

Hopefully Megson will resign in disgust just like Todd did after Frandsen's sale.
Megson and Nolan gone in one move.
Double Bonus.
:D

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:11 am

H. Pedersen wrote:
enfieldwhite wrote:
jenkz wrote:
If I recall correctly, Jussi DID in fact have a "miracle recovery" and did not need surgery.
:lmfao:
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:12 am

H. Pedersen wrote:
enfieldwhite wrote:
jenkz wrote:
Hardly a miracle recovery.
He was out for several months, then came back....
Nothing mysterious about that - happens a lot.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

kick ass koala
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by kick ass koala » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:18 am

Nobbys Belly wrote:Nobby cant go, with him and Hunt both on there wya out, who will we berate and how do i get a new avatar?
haha!

Just stick a picture up of Elmander, with his lack of form, injuries, goals, ge aint going anywhere any time soon .....

as for Nolan going, the club would not sell him to Newcastle unless a) he chucked a hissy fit and wanted to leave or b) they had a player lined up to replace him ... personaly i would have had a Nolan Barton swap deal ...

jenkz
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by jenkz » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:24 am

kick ass koala wrote:
Nobbys Belly wrote:Nobby cant go, with him and Hunt both on there wya out, who will we berate and how do i get a new avatar?
haha!

Just stick a picture up of Elmander, with his lack of form, injuries, goals, ge aint going anywhere any time soon .....

as for Nolan going, the club would not sell him to Newcastle unless a) he chucked a hissy fit and wanted to leave or b) they had a player lined up to replace him ... personaly i would have had a Nolan Barton swap deal ...
Too late now. And I would have wanted some money as well! I think Nolan has fallen out after the just before the Dubai trip or after Blackburn game, but there's no need to speculate as we will never know until it comes from a proper source.
Nat Lofthouse:

jenkz
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by jenkz » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:29 am

Nat Lofthouse:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:32 am

jenkz wrote:This article says it all

http://site.voiceofbolton.com/latest-ne ... bys-switch

Tells us nowt!!!!!