Dr Sam Allardyce

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Dr Sam Allardyce

Post by thebish » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:33 pm

FORMER Bolton Wanderers manager Sam Allardyce and Nobel Prize winner Sir Harry Kroto are among the well-known faces to be awarded honorary doctorates by the University of Bolton this week.

Allardyce will tomorrow be given an honorary doctorate for his pioneering work in the use of science and statistics in football.

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:00 pm

Good for him. He did well for us until the very end. He wasn't a bad defender either. Good call IMO.
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:44 pm

Was at the ceremony today. Graduates in Psychology, Art and Humanities. Sam gave an acceptance speech charmingly devoid of humility, but a real fondness for bolton - he was only 17 when he arrived here - shone through.

the ceremony took about half an hour longer than normal because about 25% of the graduating students wanted a picture with Sam as well as the VC. And he was charming about that.

Charm and Sam Allardyce in same sentence shock...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:27 pm

Nice touch. The town recognising someone who gave us some pride in ourselves. Good on both.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:50 pm

Wonder will they hand out 15,000 honarary degrees in a couple of years time for anyone who had to watch the last couple of seasons?

Nice touch for BSA.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:39 am

More from the Morning News - apparently one of the recipients of an honorary doctorate was Gordon Hargreaves:
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/827 ... r_Big_Sam/

Presumably _the_ Gordon Hargreaves? What was that for - services to openness in business? Innovations in awarding contracts for building stadia?

I think we should be told.

As an aside, I'm not sure I agree with the awarding of honorary doctorates. As Richard Feynmann once said - would you get your house rewired by an honorary electrician? It devalues the work that people writing theses for several years have put in.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"