Fernando Torres to Liverpool

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Crouch > Davies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Crouch > Davies » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:50 pm

The Owen rumour won't go away.

*crosses every bone in his body*

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:28 pm

£25m eh, not bad for someone with as average a goal record as Torres.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:53 am

Well Arse have spent 16 million on Henrys replacement
Sto ut Serviam

Batman

Post by Batman » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:33 am

They've changed their minds this morning and come out with £6.5m

Backgammon
Promising
Promising

Post by Backgammon » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:06 am

26 million? You could buy a new team for that money. That fee's in the schevchenko range, and we can all see what a bargin he turned out to be.

And I see they've let Garcia go the other way. Out of the Spanish players at Liverpool, he was the one I really liked. Before he got injured I thought he was class.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:34 pm

Backgammon wrote:26 million? You could buy a new team for that money.
A pretty shit team, yes. But then we know that prices are inflated in football, especially in the top division, and especially at the top end of the division. Add to that the new TV deal and you'll find wages and fees going stratospheric this year...

Batman

Post by Batman » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:41 pm

Vastly overated, and not necessarily value for money at Atletico for that much coin, though we know Benitez has a shit record with decent strikers....

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:41 pm

blurred wrote:
Backgammon wrote:26 million? You could buy a new team for that money.
A pretty shit team, yes. But then we know that prices are inflated in football, especially in the top division, and especially at the top end of the division. Add to that the new TV deal and you'll find wages and fees going stratospheric this year...
you were'nt that many points ahead of us last season!!!

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:41 pm

communistworkethic wrote:you were'nt that many points ahead of us last season!!!
I reckon if Bolton sold their team now (as in received offers that they could not refuse) they'd get more than £26m for them. But that's for debate.

It's all economies of scale, though. To supporters of Scarborough I'm sure that £26m seems obscene for one player. For Real Madrid it seems more like the going rate.

For what it's worth I've seen reports today alleging we agreed as little (ha! :D) as £20.2m for him, with the rest effectively being made up by the Garcia transfer. Either way it's a big amount of cash to spunk on one player, but nice that we are finally starting to get even remotely close to United and Chelsea's prodigous spending and ability to attract the best players.

Mich Caine

Post by Mich Caine » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:07 pm

Apparently the fee has been paid in 1,050,000 used £20 notes.

Good signing for Athletico is Garcia for £4m, I really rate him.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:20 pm

Crouch > Davies wrote:The Owen rumour won't go away.

*crosses every bone in his body*
I'd say so too. How much is his buy-out clause? By the way, did you get any money for that Nunez boy that I seem to recall came to your place as a make-weight?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Crouch > Davies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Crouch > Davies » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:35 pm

Owen's release fee is rumoured to be £9.1 million. We got a fee for Nunez who wasn't all that terrible to be fair, think it was £1.5 million.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:46 pm

Money money money, the going rate for top strikers now I guess. The game has gone mental!!!

We'll see how he fits into the waiters rotation system anyway. Does he ever sign anyone who isn't spanish...?

Batman

Post by Batman » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:47 pm

or who ends up being a poorer player than when at his previous club?

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:08 am

officer_dibble wrote:Does he ever sign anyone who isn't spanish...?
Batman wrote:or who ends up being a poorer player than when at his previous club?
Yep, he does :)

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:01 am

For those who say he's not a goalscorer:
Since Atlético's return to the First Division in 2002 he has been their top scorer every season. He has scored 75 times in 173 games, twice finishing as La Liga's top-scoring Spaniard, never failing to get into double figures. Over the past four seasons only Samuel Eto'o and David Villa have scored more league goals.
I'd take something like that next year - somewhere in the teens in the league suits me.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:15 pm

It'll end in tears.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:10 pm

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:It'll end in tears.
Who knows, isn't that the joy of football, though? We've got him and Voronin - one signed on a free and one for £20m. Who's to say who'll settle better, play better, score or create more goals?

I'm cautiously optimistic, however.

Village Idiot
Promising
Promising

Post by Village Idiot » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:06 pm

blurred wrote:For those who say he's not a goalscorer:
Since Atlético's return to the First Division in 2002 he has been their top scorer every season. He has scored 75 times in 173 games, twice finishing as La Liga's top-scoring Spaniard, never failing to get into double figures. Over the past four seasons only Samuel Eto'o and David Villa have scored more league goals.
I'd take something like that next year - somewhere in the teens in the league suits me.
He was the penalty taker for Atlético, I think he wouldn't have got double figures these last two years if it weren't for those.

Problem with Fernando Torres is his woeful finishing. He has always showed the ability to get into scoring positions, but he has zero calmness in front of goal. I do think his pace-based playstile should translate well into the EPL though.

The best think about Liverpool signig him is that a) He always seemed to score against us b) Will end the yearly rumours of us spending 30mil for signing him
Barça fan that loves a team in white :shock:

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:10 pm

blurred wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:Does he ever sign anyone who isn't spanish...?
Batman wrote:or who ends up being a poorer player than when at his previous club?
Yep, he does :)

such as