Worst Referee performance in years!

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:12 pm

styles bumped from this weekend's festivities

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:13 pm

Fair enough, but I'm sure he's hardly arsed about that. Weekend off for him.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:15 pm

blurred wrote:Fair enough, but I'm sure he's hardly arsed about that. Weekend off for him.
not really won't he be in league 1 or somert where he can bully 22 players instead of 11.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:04 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:
blurred wrote:Fair enough, but I'm sure he's hardly arsed about that. Weekend off for him.
not really won't he be in league 1 or somert where he can bully 22 players instead of 11.
Dunno - don't think he's been demoted, just thought he'd been dropped (as in not to referee at all). Think Rennie was sent down a few years ago for being repeatedly shite - reckon that could do Styles the world of good, because he habitually lets games get away from him and makes some shocking decisions.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:33 pm

rennie's biggest crime was being our favourite ref

that wouldn't have gone down well at the FA

Crouch > Davies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Crouch > Davies » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:37 pm

Styles was and is shocking. Hopefully this will bring back a debate about how to improve reffing - there have been a series of shocking decisions over the weekend, the incompetence might have been there for the world to see at Anfield but it was throughout the whole Premiership over the weekend. Goals disallowed at Fulham, blatant fouls missed at Portsmouth, utterly woeful penalties at Anfield....

Shocking. Bring back Graham Poll.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:31 pm

Crouch > Davies wrote:Styles was and is shocking. Hopefully this will bring back a debate about how to improve reffing - there have been a series of shocking decisions over the weekend, the incompetence might have been there for the world to see at Anfield but it was throughout the whole Premiership over the weekend. Goals disallowed at Fulham, blatant fouls missed at Portsmouth, utterly woeful penalties at Anfield....

Hey! Let's not go nuts!! :D

What bugs the shxt out of me, is the fact that these men manage multi million pound clubs that constantly have chairmen breathing down their necks week after week. Managing people who are on a great deal more money then they are per week. Then after spending all week sending their hair grey getting everything perfect for the match, some cxck who is already thinking about the traffic on the M1 blows his whistle before arrogantly waving his hands to passionate and pumped up players like he is the bleeding almighty.

The Manager can't believe it, vents his anger at the 4th official who merely shrugs his shoulders then screams at the nob in black asking why everyone on the fxcking planet has seen it apart from him and it's off to the stands with a red card.

After all that, the managers have to stand in front of a camera minutes after, facing someone trying their very best the get a controversial reaction out of them. Can they say anything? Fxck no! The best they can come out with is "I was disappointed"

And the tit in black? He's one his way up the M1 listening to the Bee Gee's, and should there be a traffic jam? Well, it's onto the hard shoulder, reserved only for the REAL special ones!

Rant over!

Feel much better! :D
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:33 pm

lots of uproar fom liverpool, that team that's never benefitted from it's captain throwing himself to the ground without being touched
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:36 pm

communistworkethic wrote:lots of uproar fom liverpool, that team that's never benefitted from it's captain throwing himself to the ground without being touched
not since last weekend, anyway

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:40 pm

Crouch > Davies wrote:Styles was and is shocking. Hopefully this will bring back a debate about how to improve reffing - there have been a series of shocking decisions over the weekend, the incompetence might have been there for the world to see at Anfield but it was throughout the whole Premiership over the weekend. Goals disallowed at Fulham, blatant fouls missed at Portsmouth, utterly woeful penalties at Anfield....

Same incompetence that won you a 'free kick' against Villa eh.

Feckin Scousers :shakes head:

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:57 am

Batman wrote:Same incompetence that won you a 'free kick' against Villa eh.

There's a slight difference between an iffy free kick 30 yards out and a penalty where there was blatently no contact.

Yes we had the rub of the green with the Gerrard thing, but their pen last week was pretty soft, and this week's was just unbelievable. It does all even out, and I'm sure we've got a decision or two owing to us on karma from that one, now.

Batman

Post by Batman » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:28 am

Hang on, good ol'Stevie G was on about Chelsea bullying the ref into decisions - how is that different than the Villa thing?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:28 am

Yep now the scousers have had one against them, we have to make a serious stance - How dare they eh?

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:00 am

blurred wrote:
Batman wrote:Same incompetence that won you a 'free kick' against Villa eh.

There's a slight difference between an iffy free kick 30 yards out and a penalty where there was blatently no contact.

Yes we had the rub of the green with the Gerrard thing, but their pen last week was pretty soft, and this week's was just unbelievable. It does all even out, and I'm sure we've got a decision or two owing to us on karma from that one, now.
I'm sure Sheff Utd don't think thigns even out after Stevie Dive-arrd conned the ref in the first game of last season, that two points from the first week made a huge difference.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:59 am

Batman wrote:Hang on, good ol'Stevie G was on about Chelsea bullying the ref into decisions - how is that different than the Villa thing?
I think Gerrard's comments this week stem more from the fact that as soon as a decision goes against Chelsea you get Terry/Lampard/SWP/Drogba/Essien and whoever else is nearest crowding all round the referee, bitching and moaning. And not just on isolated occasions (as all teams do when they feel that one hasn't gone their way) but repeatedly and consistently.

Styles last week gave a soft decision for Gerrard's free kick, but Gerrard had not been hounding the ref all game, in his ear at every decision in the same way that Chelsea do (and have done for a couple of years under Mourinho).

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:00 am

fatshaft wrote:I'm sure Sheff Utd don't think thigns even out after Stevie Dive-arrd conned the ref in the first game of last season, that two points from the first week made a huge difference.
I'm sure they do, and if I was that arsed I could go back and find decisions that they got that benefitted them that shouldn't have.

And any team that can't beat Wigan at home on the last day of the season deserves to go down! ;)

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:12 pm

I still think the ref at Portsmouth was worse than Styles.
"Don't like modern bands. Topman music, innit?"

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:29 pm

Interesting point made on RAWK about how Mourinho continually moans about decisions going against him when playing Liverpool, at Anfield - he keeps carping on about that Luis Garcia goal. If anyone took his comments at face value you'd think that Liverpool were jammy gets when it came to playing Chelsea, but there's been a succession of dodgy decisions/horrible playacting by Chelsea players go against Liverpool in matches between the sides over the last few years:

Gudjonsen diving to get Xabi his 2nd yellow, the handball in the CL game at Anfield that wasn't given, Reina's red card at Stamford Bridge with Robben writhing all over the floor after Pepe 'punched' him, the penalty this weekend, all manner of big decisions that have gone their way. Even the Garcia goal could've worked out a lot worse for Chelsea, as the ref said after the game that he was going to send Cech off and award the penalty if Garcia hadn't scored - I'm sure they'd rather be 1-0 down than 1-0 down and have only 10 men on the pitch with Cech sent off...

Amazing how nobody in the press actually challenges him to back-up his assertions. Can he prove that Garcia didn't score? Can he list a load of other decisions that prove there's a bias against his side? He really is a blinkered sort; a talented coach no doubt, but completely up his own arse.

Also, I'll be interested to see if this story does stay in the media, and for how long. I'd always said that it would take a big mistake in a big game for people to actually sit up and notice how bad the standard of refereeing is in the game - yes, it's pathetic that worse mistakes are made up and down the country over the course of the season (ask Fulham), and that it takes one of the 'big clubs' to be wronged to get people to sit up and take notice, but is anything going to actually come as a result of this? To my mind the most ludicrous decision of recent years was Mendes at Old Trafford, and I'm surprised that the call for video technology wasn't deafening after that... Will something come in as a result of this weekends shenanigans?

Probably not.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:37 pm

blurred wrote:Even the Garcia goal could've worked out a lot worse for Chelsea, as the ref said after the game that he was going to send Cech off and award the penalty if Garcia hadn't scored - I'm sure they'd rather be 1-0 down than 1-0 down and have only 10 men on the pitch with Cech sent off...
Swollocks that blurred mate! Ref played advantage, Garcia got his shot in and Gallas cleared it off the line - You cant bring play back because of a bad finish surely?

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:48 pm

boltonboris wrote:Swollocks that blurred mate! Ref played advantage, Garcia got his shot in and Gallas cleared it off the line - You cant bring play back because of a bad finish surely?
Interesting that you dismiss it as bollocks with nothing to back up your assertion. A bit like Mourinho, in fact. Would you like some fact to go with it? How about the quote from the referee himself? Will that do?
Lubos Michel said: “If my assistant referee had not signalled a goal, I would have given a penalty and sent off goalkeeper Petr Cech.”
Would you like it any clearer than that?