Curbishley Resigns.....

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

palexjones
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palexjones » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:08 pm

And don't get me wrong Sam Alladyce belongs in BWFC,s all time hall of fame for me anyway and always will.

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:10 pm

economics aside, reckon sam would have found cheaper foreign alternatives to paying double value for the likes of muamba and cahill?

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:16 pm

Not that this has anything remotely to do with BWFC, but i wouldn't Curbs (why? Theres no need to change it. He may have a better track record than Megson, but by that yardstick we should've binned off Sam when he first kept us up and brought in David O'Leary.).

Also, the last two days just underlines (as if it ever needed) how football is going to shit, and how lucky we are to have Gartside and Davies. We've spent plenty of money, are still pretty well run, and none of them stick their nose in and try to pick the team or sell our best players behind the managers back. Billionaire owners aren't all they're cracked up to be.
economics aside, reckon sam would have found cheaper foreign alternatives to paying double value for the likes of muamba and cahill?
He didn't at Newcastle, he opted for Cacapa and Barton. I know which i'd prefer.
Last edited by Tombwfc on Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:17 pm

who is going to want that job?

no say in team selection, no say in transfer policy.....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:49 pm

Allardyce is Bolton history; some great stuff then a lot ( already mentioned) that wasn't. He wanted out, left us at the worst possible time and went on to "greater things". He had the money at Newcastle and still managed to get sacked and is still out of a job. That could be because people don't see him quites as wonderful a manager as we did. Either way, this constant Megson bashing and comparisons with the past is tedious. What Allardyce managed to achieve with loans and free transfers was innovative and new..at the time. Now everybody's on it and Bolton are way down the list as attractions and money sources. An era ended and won't be repeated because of evolvement in the game and its "business rather than sport" standing in the market.

Better managers than the likes of either Allardyce or Curbishley have bitten the dust; Jol is a classic example, and Megson has yet to commit any major crimes other than being the fall guy for others misdemeanours. When he does, then fair enough, take him to task. To keep slating him for no reason is just as pointless and futureless as keep calling him "
dickhead" and "tosser" etc. When we were really up against it, he came through and his signings give hope of better things to come. Give him what he deserves by all means, but a bit of suport and encouragement is included in that. As the league table stands right now there will be teams and managers worrying more than just us.

A win, even a draw against Fulham will leave us no worse off than a good few more. Take a look at this weeks fixtures and believe it: Blackburn play Arsenal, Tottenham play Villa, City play Chelsea, Stoke play Everton, Hull play Newcastle, Liverpool play United, Middlesboro play Portsmouth, Sunderland play Wigan and West Brom play West Ham. A good result can see us looking a fair bit better off. No reason at all why we can't get that.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:57 pm

megson bashing is not tedious, maybe you think it is because you don't agree

but a lot of bolton fans are deeply unhappy with him running our club, and this forum is somewhere to debate it

like it or not, there are counter-opinions to yours and they will be aired here, whether you like it or not

if you see something you disagree wit, reply or just ignore it, but to call the opinions of others 'tedious' is completey unnecessary

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:01 pm

Some great stuff and a lot that wasn't Tango?

You've got those the wrong way round.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

jenkz
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by jenkz » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:05 pm

In my opinion we have not progressed on the manager front. Allardyce was a good manager but it was time for him to move on. Megson has come in and I think he'll do a decent job. But then why should we be up the table? I think mid table is about right for us. Until the world of football grounds itself back into the past by FIFA figuring out how to stop all this 'oil money' in the game then I'm fine with who and what we've got. Our next objective is to progress with the academy while maintaining our status. I'm sure thats what Megson wants, and possibly a future return into a EUFA. For me thats fine an I'm happy to back him right now.

Of course others are allowed their opinions, otherwise this site would simply not function. But you must remember for all the slagging off, we all want the same thing...relative success for the Whites
Nat Lofthouse:

“in my day, there were plenty of fellas who would kick your b****cks off. The difference was that at the end of the match they would shake your hand and help you look for them!”

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:08 pm

Batman wrote:megson bashing is not tedious, maybe you think it is because you don't agree

but a lot of bolton fans are deeply unhappy with him running our club, and this forum is somewhere to debate it

like it or not, there are counter-opinions to yours and they will be aired here, whether you like it or not

if you see something you disagree wit, reply or just ignore it, but to call the opinions of others 'tedious' is completey unnecessary
Don't get so self righteous. Counter opinion is what mine is to those that oppose it and mine too will be aired whether you like it or not. Doesn't make mine right or wrong, but you are strong enough in your own views and opinions; what's the difference with mine? Equality works both ways or not at all.

JT
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by JT » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:10 pm

Have to agree with Batman, and have to say I'm no fan of Megsons. He has done or said nothing to make me believe we are going to be anything more than survivors in this league, and I get the impression he's content with that. Fair enough, when he came in after Lee, the aim was to keep us in the league..and by the skin of our teeth we managed it- fair play. The summer was a chance to push on from that though and make us a bit more of a force in the league. From what I've seen thus far, we're going to struggle again.
It's not just us fans who have an apparent dislike for him either, I've been told from a reliable enough source that hardly any of the players get along so well with the guy, utter prick apparently. How can he possibly get the best out of the team when they arn't playing for him?!

palexjones
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palexjones » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:11 pm

The trouble with buying players now on the back of the latest sky deal just about every club in the world out side of the prem see us(the 20 teams in th prem) as a big payday, as soon as a prem club enquires about a player the price shoots up. The only cheap players now are free agents clubless misfits.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:12 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Some great stuff and a lot that wasn't Tango?

You've got those the wrong way round.
Bung allegations, Craig Allardyce's dealings, the arguments with Gartside and walking out when he did. That's great suff. Sorry, LK, but I don't think so. My opinion.

palexjones
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palexjones » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:14 pm

JT wrote:Have to agree with Batman, and have to say I'm no fan of Megsons. He has done or said nothing to make me believe we are going to be anything more than survivors in this league, and I get the impression he's content with that. Fair enough, when he came in after Lee, the aim was to keep us in the league..and by the skin of our teeth we managed it- fair play. The summer was a chance to push on from that though and make us a bit more of a force in the league. From what I've seen thus far, we're going to struggle again.
It's not just us fans who have an apparent dislike for him either, I've been told from a reliable enough source that hardly any of the players get along so well with the guy, utter prick apparently. How can he possibly get the best out of the team when they arn't playing for him?!
Just who is this 'reliable source', because thats the first I have heard of an unsettled dressing room since the departure of Sammy Lee........

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:16 pm

1 cup final, 2 UEFA qualifications(our first ever foray into Europe), 2 other top-8 finishes. This is about football not the peripherals. I don't care abot Allardyce vs Megson in personality, interview technique, politeness. Utterly irrelevant.

Its all about winning football matches. Allardyce was good at that, Megson doesn't appear to be so.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:17 pm

Jussi
Gardner
Davies
Cahill
Muamba
Elmander
Riga
Shittu
Smolarek
Cohen
Steinsson

have all signed contracts under Megson.

JOB
McCann
Samuel

are his adoptive children, who play most weeks.

Nolan

is the captain, and has been praised numerous times.

Now, the above must make up about 90% of our squad. I find the idea that they all hate him very hard to believe. And besides, all they had to do was lose against Boro last season and he was out of a job.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:21 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:1 cup final, 2 UEFA qualifications(our first ever foray into Europe), 2 other top-8 finishes. This is about football not the peripherals. I don't care abot Allardyce vs Megson in personality, interview technique, politeness. Utterly irrelevant.

Its all about winning football matches. Allardyce was good at that, Megson doesn't appear to be so.
Which is great, but how many of those did he achieve in his first half season and three games?

It took what, 4/5 years to achieve any of those, and you won't give Megson one year.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:23 pm

Its 4 games. We lost in a pitiful performance against Northampton after stating we were taking the cups more seriously. Someone mentioned we have far fewer games this year, so there isn't an excuse.

palexjones
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palexjones » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:23 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:1 cup final, 2 UEFA qualifications(our first ever foray into Europe), 2 other top-8 finishes. This is about football not the peripherals. I don't care abot Allardyce vs Megson in personality, interview technique, politeness. Utterly irrelevant.

That does ignore the almost annual 5/6/7 match losing streaks and the abysmal spring last year oh and the first 2 seasons fighting relegation battles.

palexjones
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palexjones » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:24 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Its 4 games. We lost in a pitiful performance against Northampton after stating we were taking the cups more seriously. Someone mentioned we have far fewer games this year, so there isn't an excuse.
BURY!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:25 pm

So we're going to finish in the top 8 to compensate are we? Still no excuses.