Tonight's Football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:31 pm

£100m is a lot of dosh for an impact sub, TD. :-) Even by today's standards...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:03 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:31 pm
And the fault of such lunatic valuation lies with........? Same estimators that value paintings at 800 million that were painted for free I'd suppose.... :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:16 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:03 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
And the fault of such lunatic valuation lies with........? Same estimators that value paintings at 800 million that were painted for free I'd suppose.... :wink:
All other takes is someone daft enough to pay it. :-)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:21 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:16 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:03 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
All other takes is someone daft enough to pay it. :-)
Quite so, I'll cancel the cheque right away... :lol: ..

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:33 am

Looks like the media vultures have grabbed all the international matches. Serve em right if everybody switched off.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:22 pm

England beat Ukraine 2-0, Kane and Saka.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:44 pm

French goalkeeper pulled off two last minute world-class saves to stop Republic of Ireland equalising. Great display by the Irish lads against the world champs. 1-0.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:21 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:44 pm
French goalkeeper pulled off two last minute world-class saves to stop Republic of Ireland equalising. Great display by the Irish lads against the world champs. 1-0.
Argentina won the World Cup, Fella..
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:46 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:21 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:44 pm
Argentina won the World Cup, Fella..
Aye, should have said past world champs. :oops:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:39 pm

Am I hallucinating or did Scotland beat Spain 2-0?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:23 pm

Good value for it and could have been more!!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:57 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:01 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:52 am
boltonboris wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:12 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:05 am
boltonboris wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:28 am
Oh and Shaw.. Daft tackle so soon after a booking
Second tackle/card on it's own was to be somewhat expected given the nature of the game, but as you say, Shaw was less than sensible for the time-wasting card. I wasn't too thrilled with some of the ref's decisions given the seriousness of the results in this comp.

Jack Grealish was the real villain last night for me with that miss. Sounds daft maybe, but I'd like to try him in a more defensive midfield role, maybe box-to-box.. He's capable of getting the ball and doing something positive with it, something we were well short of last night.
Agree that Grealish is a central midfielder, but he's not as good as Bellingham and can't do the things Rice can do -

He's not fast enough to play on the wing
There was one attack, Grealish had a tug on his shirt on the edge of their box. He'd broken out of it and stopped, awaiting the foul. Not given. 20s later, they're on the edge of our box, with us scrambling to get back. This really frustrates. I haven't moved on from my previous view that he's overrated vs what he actually does...
Grealish has always been massively overrated. I mean when I said this around the time he moved to City I got pilloried for it on here. But he's simply not that good. A good mid table premiership player who for a Villa or whatever will do well. But a top level player - not for me. Never has been.
Read this pissed the other day and forgot to come back to it.. Absolute bollocks. He's been city's best player by a country mile, Scandy Carroll included, since the world cup. Goal, assist, and lung busting interception back when 0-1 down today. He's been 9/10 for two months.

Still not the best English left winger playing in Manchester mind, but that says more about the talent we have right now.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:43 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:57 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
Second tackle/card on it's own was to be somewhat expected given the nature of the game, but as you say, Shaw was less than sensible for the time-wasting card. I wasn't too thrilled with some of the ref's decisions given the seriousness of the results in this comp.

Jack Grealish was the real villain last night for me with that miss. Sounds daft maybe, but I'd like to try him in a more defensive midfield role, maybe box-to-box.. He's capable of getting the ball and doing something positive with it, something we were well short of last night.
Agree that Grealish is a central midfielder, but he's not as good as Bellingham and can't do the things Rice can do -

There was one attack, Grealish had a tug on his shirt on the edge of their box. He'd broken out of it and stopped, awaiting the foul. Not given. 20s later, they're on the edge of our box, with us scrambling to get back. This really frustrates. I haven't moved on from my previous view that he's overrated vs what he actually does...
Grealish has always been massively overrated. I mean when I said this around the time he moved to City I got pilloried for it on here. But he's simply not that good. A good mid table premiership player who for a Villa or whatever will do well. But a top level player - not for me. Never has been.
Read this pissed the other day and forgot to come back to it.. Absolute bollocks. He's been city's best player by a country mile, Scandy Carroll included, since the world cup. Goal, assist, and lung busting interception back when 0-1 down today. He's been 9/10 for two months.

Still not the best English left winger playing in Manchester mind, but that says more about the talent we have right now.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:29 am

Tango, is everything ok mate?

The ladies are playing Brazil tonight who have never won a World Cup, but did win the Copa America - The game is being shown live on ITV1

It's an intercontinental cup Europe v South America basically. A Competition called La Finalissima

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:10 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:29 am
Tango, is everything ok mate?

The ladies are playing Brazil tonight who have never won a World Cup, but did win the Copa America - The game is being shown live on ITV1

It's an intercontinental cup Europe v South America basically. A Competition called La Finalissima
Apologies Boris. I;m actually beginning to wonder where my head is at? . I'm going to have to start taking more notice of what I read. I'll just have to delete my rant to avoid looking more of a nitwit then ever.I read my bit under B.B.C News instead of looking at T.V programmes, where it is indeed only on radio and text commentary. Again, apologies. :oops:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:42 pm

What a time for ITV server to go down. Luckily we have two tv sets cos the wife is a soap fan. Good first half from England to be leading 1-0. Big disappointment Millie Bright is out injured.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:43 pm

Lovely to see an England side win a penalty shoot out to lift the trophy. One of the toughest games the Lionesses have had. England took the first half and scored, Brazil gave us the runaround second half and equalised right at the death. England keeper Mary Earps was a real heroine both in the game and penalties..

Lot of changes in the present England side; first long term injury to Steph Houghton, then Helen White and Jill Scott retired and now Millie Bright is injured and out for a couple of games. Not sure where Fran Kirby and Nikita Paris are right now? Well done the girls anyway. :oyea:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:15 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:43 pm
Prufrock wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
boltonboris wrote:

Just going back to this. Grealish is on fire at the moment and his gaffer reckons he’s one of the best players in the world right now..

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:13 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:15 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:43 pm
Prufrock wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
boltonboris wrote:

Just going back to this. Grealish is on fire at the moment and his gaffer reckons he’s one of the best players in the world right now..
I mean he’s performing at a much better level. Sure. He’s far off being close to worth the money they paid which is the point. He’s not imo close to ‘one of the best players in the world’ and never near the fee paid. Overrated doesn’t mean he’s useless it just means he’s not as good as is made out and I will take that view to the grave. He has 5 premiership goals this season. In a top side played as a forward or attacking midfield player and is nowhere near De Bruyne for assists.

Haaland is frightening on another note. His second goal was as good a finish as you will ever see. Now he really is world class and then some.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:45 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:13 pm

I mean he’s performing at a much better level. Sure. He’s far off being close to worth the money they paid which is the point. He’s not imo close to ‘one of the best players in the world’ and never near the fee paid. Overrated doesn’t mean he’s useless it just means he’s not as good as is made out and I will take that view to the grave. He has 5 premiership goals this season. In a top side played as a forward or attacking midfield player and is nowhere near De Bruyne for assists.

Haaland is frightening on another note. His second goal was as good a finish as you will ever see. Now he really is world class and then some.
I never judge players just by how many goals they score. There are eleven men in a team. Grealish has a football brain and gets into good positions regularly. Yes, he may have spells where he's less than perfect, who doesn't? but his financial value isn't determined by himself but by people who've probably never kicked a beach ball on Southport sand. Thankfully, Gareth Southgate can see beyond noughts in a chequebook.