Match of the Day and Female Commentators

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Female Commentators on Footy

Good thing
40%
Bad thing
60%

Total votes: 30

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:13 am

Should be though it'd help my saturday nights in watch MOTD
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:31 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Women who claim an interest in football should be treated as spies until they've proved themselves. The jury's still out on Gertie and Perfan....

I'm generally from the Mike Newell School of Enlightened Thought when it comes to women's involvement in football, but I haven't heard much of this woman yet and I'm happy to give her a chance to prove my prejudices to be unfounded, especially when there are so many dreadful men doing the job. On a practical point, the tone and pitch of a female voice don't really promote euphony when something exciting happens. :|
Why thank you mummy, and to think of all those occasions where I've defended your honour when the other boys make fun of you!!!

Anyways, whilst I play on the oooh I love cute boy footballers it does tend to mean that my opinions aren't considered valid or of any use, but that's my own doing so I'm happy with it.

I'll admit that talking tictacs and formations isn't my cup of tea, I find it a bit dull all the might bes and might nots, and after all Sam will choose his own side and formation regardless so I don't get myself in a knot about it. I'd rather pay my money, turn up and let it all unfold in front of me, screaming my head off at a Campo pass gone astray, an easy chance missed or a clearance delivered right at the feet of an oncoming attacker.

However, there are plenty of women in the game who know their stuff and personally, I think it's a good thing. More and more women and girls are attending football matches than ever before so why not even up the balance in the media??

BUT, I was listening to 5 Live the other day and Sunderland V Southampton was on. I have an interest in Southampton as I used to live by the Dell in the old days. Anyways, there was a girl commentating I think she was called Jackie. She knew her stuff, she must have had a list as long as my arms of facts and statisics so she'd done her homework. But it was dull listening to someone churn out facts one after the other and I'm afraid that the pitch of her voice just made my ears burn after a while, it was a bit too high and squeaky to listen comfortably.

However, I can't bear Jonathan Pearce either and Jon Champion makes me want to rip my ears off his tone and delivery makes my skin crawl so you can't please everyone. I'm glad this woman has been given her chance and I hope she proves doubting mummy that 'some' women can make good work of 'mans work'.

BTW.... As much as I can't doubt Gaby Logan's credentials for presenting MoTD - who does her wardrobe?? She looks like she's mugged a granny for her cardigan.... Please can someone give her something decent to wear???

The end from me. :)
Nobody puts Baby in a corner

www.can-i-see.blogspot.com

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:42 am

She's got a big neck, square shoulders and isn't very busty, choosing stuff that's flattering for that shape isn't easy. Trust me!

tees it up.....

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:42 am

Of course women should be allowed to be involved in football.

Who else would wash the kit after the game otherwise?
Businesswoman of the year.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:19 am

Gertie wrote:Why thank you mummy, and to think of all those occasions where I've defended your honour when the other boys make fun of you!!!
I was only joking about you and Perfan... :D

I'm sure there are women who can do the job better than the men we've got and it does make sense to give it a go for the reasons you've said. It really is the 'squeakiness' in female voices that you mention that is likely to be the biggest problem.

And I think Gabby always looks lovely....
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:47 am

MoTD has had lasses on for ages man. Mark Lawrenson, Alan Shearer, Alan Hansen...
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:47 pm

Hoolio wrote:MoTD has had lasses on for ages man. Mark Lawrenson, Alan Shearer, Alan Hansen...
You mean big girls blouses!

Where's the "I couldn't give a stuff option"

To be honest am gobsmacked with all the interest this has caused, is it really that important

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:36 pm

I'm glad she's got the job, as it means embittered wailing and whining from Alan Green as he's passed over for television yet again... :D

Batman

Post by Batman » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:14 pm

She just doesn't sound right.

Henrik's fan club
Henrik
Henrik

Post by Henrik's fan club » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:04 am

That sounded.......just plain wrong
Who needs Henry when we've got Henrik?

Free the T-W two!

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:05 am

Sounded like someone had pre-recorded various facts and snippets, in no particular order of relevance, then just played them over a video of the game....

..typical Beeb commentator(ess) then

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:12 am

Batman wrote:She just doesn't sound right.
Have to agree. Nipped out to the garden and from there it sounded like some groupie screaming when Take That arrive. (No, not Gertie :wink: ) Not right at all.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:13 am

why isnt she doing her ironing on a Saturday night?

:whack:
Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:15 am

'mon now let's not be sexist. I wanted her to do well to break the stereotype, but she was shit.

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:02 pm

It was fecking horrible. Simply given the job because she is a women. I can only hope Sky don't follow suit.

It sounded like here voice was added to the game via edit and not as though she was actually there. And all she was interested in was reeling off useless stats.

And wasn't the guff afterwards between Dixon and Lineker sexist. Dixon says "she did well didn't she". Do they ever say a male commentator did well.

Crap.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:06 pm

Tokenism for politically correct idiots!

:pray:
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:10 pm

now come on she got the job on merit. Listen to the rest of the commentators, then think about the existing standard and the standard of the other potentials - Alan Green for example...... then think who you'd pick.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:13 pm

communistworkethic wrote:now come on she got the job on merit. Listen to the rest of the commentators, then think about the existing standard and the standard of the other potentials - Alan Green for example...... then think who you'd pick.
Alan Green's not a good example because his voice lends itself to commentating and he's actually quite good when he prevents his Liverpool bias from creeping in.

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:28 pm

Yeah I think Green is actually a good commentator. But he talks rubbish and is bias.

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:30 pm

daxter15 wrote:Yeah I think Green is actually a good commentator. But he talks rubbish and is bias.

make your mind up!?!

how can he be good if he talks rubbish and is biased?!
Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.