F.A Cup final

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat May 19, 2007 6:13 pm

Jonathan Pearce was embarrassingly keen to hug Drogba at the end..

And has anyone ever heard an edifying response to the question: "What was going through your mind when the ball came to you?"?
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat May 19, 2007 7:14 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Jonathan Pearce was embarrassingly keen to hug Drogba at the end..

And has anyone ever heard an edifying response to the question: "What was going through your mind when the ball came to you?"?
Same thought occurred. Where do they breed em?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Mich Caine

Post by Mich Caine » Sat May 19, 2007 8:03 pm

Yeah really crap final. Its a shame, amazing stadium, the best two teams in England this last year and the match looked like 22 players who finished playing a few weeks ago and their mind's were on their holidays. Its not a good advert for the English game.

Glad Chelsea won it.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sat May 19, 2007 10:14 pm

There was nearly three hundred million pounds worth of talent on that pitch today, yet everyone thinks we are dull to watch!

That shite over-shadowed anything we have put on this season! It simply showed the importance of the result no matter the cost with each respective house.

The first game at the new Wembley! Forever scraped into the stone of time. Greatest players in the world? Result? One moment of 'good' play wins it.

Well done Scum/Chelsick you have just pxssed on the thousands of fans that sold thier first born to be at this final. Not to mention the two hours you our me!

Bring on Milan!!
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Mich Caine

Post by Mich Caine » Sat May 19, 2007 10:18 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:There was nearly three hundred million pounds worth of talent on that pitch today, yet everyone thinks we are dull to watch!

That shite over-shadowed anything we have put on this season! It simply showed the importance of the result no matter the cost with each respective house.

The first game at the new Wembley! Forever scraped into the stone of time. Greatest players in the world? Result? One moment of 'good' play wins it.

Well done Scum/Chelsick you have just pxssed on the thousands of fans that sold thier first born to be at this final. Not to mention the two hours you our me!

Bring on Milan!!
Totally agree, but I guess when you get two teams so equally matched, they do tend to cancel one another out. Its the same in the league, you never get fantastic matches between the top two teams usually.

Last year Liverpool v West Ham, West Ham knew they would have to outplay Liverpool and got out of the traps flying. Liverpool after being 2-0 down had to play attacking to get back.

Oh well, these games happen.

Can't wait for wednesday.

gaiser
Promising
Promising

Post by gaiser » Sat May 19, 2007 10:21 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:There was nearly three hundred million pounds worth of talent on that pitch today, yet everyone thinks we are dull to watch!

Bring on Milan!!

:evil: In the name of justice! Bolton should be one of two teams today!

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Sat May 19, 2007 10:30 pm

Too many players who care about their pay cheque and not the game.

Thats why most finals these days are shit.

The only one that stands out in recent memory is Liverpool/West Ham.

The 2004 one would have been mint, if Millwall hadn't beaten us!
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun May 20, 2007 12:57 am

i think that was two teams that were tired, saw the FA Cup as a shitty encore rather than the pinnacle of a seasons effort, knew each other too well and had nothing left in reserve. that and i think the afternoon never rose from Prince Wills' rousing speech. big shame and now can half understand why West Ham's cock was sucked so hard last season, at least they tried.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sun May 20, 2007 1:38 am

I didn't see the game.

But, let's be honest, very few FACC games are exciting - at least in my opinion. I couldn't be arsed sitting up till two in the morning to watch yet another dour football game. My subconscious mind must have been guiding me. Of course had we been playing . . .

Pretend, just for a moment, that the shirts of Chelsea had been those of Bolton. Would you still be critical? Thought not. :wink:

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun May 20, 2007 9:16 am

Dujon wrote:I didn't see the game.

But, let's be honest, very few FACC games are exciting - at least in my opinion. I couldn't be arsed sitting up till two in the morning to watch yet another dour football game. My subconscious mind must have been guiding me. Of course had we been playing . . .

Pretend, just for a moment, that the shirts of Chelsea had been those of Bolton. Would you still be critical? Thought not. :wink:
aye but would the media??? see....

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun May 20, 2007 10:04 am

As in most sporting event finals played around the world this was another crap performance. Have to admit this one seemed extra dire as it was almost as if both teams, especially man u were just going through the motions, although I guess it will be interpreted as tactics cancelled each other out.

I really don't remember many FA Cup finals as being great games, last year being the exception. Semi finals are usually great games, but finals often involve teams more concerned about losing instead of winning. A bit like the English National team.

Super Bowls usually suck, and I have seen some pretty medocre World Cup finals in football and rugby. The gems are the ones that get talked about for decades partly because they are great games, but also partly because they are the exception to the rule.

Winter Hill White
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Winter Hill White » Sun May 20, 2007 10:57 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Jonathan Pearce was embarrassingly keen to hug Drogba at the end..

There was a typical Garth Crooksism. He was talking to a Chelsea player. Possibly Terry. Instead of saying "So, you won. How does it feel?", he launched into it with "You've got a tremendous winning situation here . . . "

Cock.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Sun May 20, 2007 11:50 am

I kind of felt that Chelsea's negative tactics would win the day. At least United tried to score a few times in the second half. Otherwise, the usual FA Cup final rubbish after last year's abberation.

Still, you have to laugh at the fact that when Nat Lofthouse pushes the goalie over the line, it's a goal and when Giggs does it, it isn't.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun May 20, 2007 1:00 pm

ratbert wrote:Still, you have to laugh at the fact that when Nat Lofthouse pushes the goalie over the line, it's a goal and when Giggs does it, it isn't.
Yeah, I was trying to explain to some people that Lofthouse scored by bundling Harry Gregg over the goaline in '58, but I can't find a picture of it anywhere online. Does anyone know if there is one?
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 20, 2007 1:08 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
ratbert wrote:Still, you have to laugh at the fact that when Nat Lofthouse pushes the goalie over the line, it's a goal and when Giggs does it, it isn't.
Yeah, I was trying to explain to some people that Lofthouse scored by bundling Harry Gregg over the goaline in '58, but I can't find a picture of it anywhere online. Does anyone know if there is one?
The difference is that in 58 a shoulder charge was a legal part of the game. That's what Lofthouse did; he shoulder charged Gregg over the line with the ball and it was adjudged a goal. If anything, the Giggs effort was a foul on the goalie as he slid into him with both feet outstretched. Cech could have made a real meal of it, but he didn't and credit to him for it.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Mon May 21, 2007 1:17 am

You can look at one here, Pencilbiter, though it's not terribly clear:

http://www.intofootball.co.uk/itemIndvInfo.php?id=12

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon May 21, 2007 10:15 am

Just a predictable end to the worst FA cup in living memory.

I think there were 2 good games (Liverpool-Arsenal, Bolton-Arsenal) and the only "shock" was Blackburn knocking Arsenal out. Pathetic.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Backgammon
Promising
Promising

Post by Backgammon » Mon May 21, 2007 10:36 am

I watched in the boozer, and people around were going on about how dull it was. I just thought "have you never seen a FA cup final before?". Apart from last year, very few finals that I've seen have been amazing.

I thought the game was ok personally. It was always going to lack goal mouth action since both teams have solid midfields and defences. I thought some of the play was excellent. Seeing Scholes spray the ball around with brilliant passes was excellent, especially when he ruins it all by chopping someone down with one of his trademark 'tackles'.. I thought some of Rooney's runs, even though they lacked an end product, were exceptional; you forget how stong that boy is. And the goal was sheer class, good enough to win any final.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon May 21, 2007 10:42 am

Just been doing a little research to refresh my memory on the FA cup final and with the exception of Arsenal in 2001 (The Owen final) and West Ham last year the losing side hadn't scored a goal since 1993 when Wednesday took Arsenal to a replay!

The previous two prior to yesterday were good though - Arsenal 0 Man United 0 was pulsating with an excellent ending ;)
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;