8th June, 1990

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

8th June, 1990

Post by sluffy » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:35 am

How the years fly by!

As Mich reminds me -
Mich Caine wrote:Its just I was thinking today it was 17 years ago today that Cameroon beat Argentina in Italia 90 (ahhh Italia 90 - what an amazing world cup), I loved it!

Just thought I would ask if you would be doing any of your trips down memory lane for past world cup matches?
Seventeen years ago - a lot on here would only be kids back then but I bet you all remember this image of Italia 90 though -

Anyway just for Mich - Sluffy's Date's presents to you the day that the African nation let it be known that they were no longer there to make the numbers up -

Italia 90 - Argentina 0-1 Cameroon - 8th June, 1990

One of the bright spots in Italia 90 came from the African nation of Cameroon. Cameroon first appeared in the World Cup in 1982, when they surprised critics by playing a very competitive tournament, ending with three ties which unfortunately put them out on goal difference at an early stage. What impressed me was Thomas N’kono, the goalkeeper who wore sweatpants and his long sleeved goalkeeper’s jersey with the collor flipped up in spite of the sweltering Spanish summer heat. He also played in a calm casual manner as if it were all just for fun… Nkono appeared again in 1990 when the first choice keeper fell out with the team over player selections… a big mistake for him because Cameroon went on to be a sensation in the tournament. Cameroon shocked the globe by beating reigning champions Argentina 1-0 on a header by Omam Biyek which Argentinian keeper Pumpido fumbled into the goal.

I fell in love with the team immediately. Although they played in an abominably thuggish manner in the game (ending the match with 9 men, a rarity in soccer and almost unheard of in World Cup history) the sheer joy with which they dispatched Argentina was infectious, to say the least. I was studying philosophy at U of T at the time, and I can remember approaching an African guy I knew who had missed the game for work and told him that Cameroon had beaten Argentina. His eyes bugged out in shocked disbelief, and he repeated over and over: “Cameroon beat Argentina!? Cameroon beat Argentina!???.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/archive/ed ... eport.html

http://whitecapsfan.wordpress.com/2007/ ... italia-90/

There would be plenty other memories by The Indomitable Lions - Roger Milla's goals and celebrations and the 'England' match which they so nearly won - but all that was still in front of them - they had for now just beaten the World Cup holders!

Backgammon
Promising
Promising

Post by Backgammon » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:42 am

I'll never forget the name "Omam Biyek"... Became infamous in our school.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:48 am

You've put me in a bad mood by reminding me that this was 17 years ago!

I feel like a right old fart now. :whack: :wink:
Businesswoman of the year.

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:54 am

CrazyHorse wrote:You've put me in a bad mood by reminding me that this was 17 years ago!

I am a right old fart . :whack: :wink:
Fixed for accuracy. :wink:

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:01 pm

Daxter wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:You've put me in a bad mood by reminding me that this was 17 years ago!

I am a right old fart . :whack: :wink:
Fixed for accuracy. :wink:
:P
Ya cheeky git. :D

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:21 pm

That foul on Claudio Caniggia was just thuggish - They were a joy to watch though!

I remember a quote from Sir Bobby which was something along the lines of "Look at them lads, theyre just overgrown cloggers, We're England, these guys are thugs not footballers" to which one of them replied "excuse me sir - No we are not"

Apparantly Sir Bobby cacked himself and walked off quickly to the sound of Gazza laughing his socks off

Mich Caine

Post by Mich Caine » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:34 pm

Nice write up Sluffy.

I just love the world cup so much, and that was one of those amazing special memories, just the atmosphere and amazing occassion and Cameroon winning with 9 men against the world cup holders, it was incredible.

And that foul on Cannigia was one of the best sendings off I have ever seen, I think I am right in saying that 2 players attemtped to do what the 3rd player successfully did - take him out. hehe.

World cup Italia 90 was such a fantastic world cup, I think the Cameroon's made it what it was. No one will ever forget the name Roger Milla.

17 years ago... stone the crows!

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:38 pm

Mich Caine wrote:And that foul on Cannigia was one of the best sendings off I have ever seen, I think I am right in saying that 2 players attemtped to do what the 3rd player successfully did - take him out. hehe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeRlJJbtdHc

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:58 pm

Sluffy used a Canadian source for this one - a vancouver fan who went to the University of Toronto. said fan states:
hey played in an abominably thuggish manner in the game (ending the match with 9 men, a rarity in soccer and almost unheard of in World Cup history)
I could be wrong (also being a Canadian and relying on memories of forty years ago) but I seem to recall Uruguay having two men sent off in the 1966 World Cup (possibly against Germany in the quarter finals on my birthday). Now 1966 was a World Cup worth remembering, Mich.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Mich Caine

Post by Mich Caine » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:41 pm

sluffy wrote:
Mich Caine wrote:And that foul on Cannigia was one of the best sendings off I have ever seen, I think I am right in saying that 2 players attemtped to do what the 3rd player successfully did - take him out. hehe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeRlJJbtdHc

:lol:

Thanks for posting that link. That was class!

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:09 pm

I'll always remember that world cup. It was the 1st time I was old enough to care that England broke my heart. (I was only 9 in 86, and the games were only on here in spanish, felt a little disconnected) The other reason was it was the 1st time I got to 2nd base. (That would be touching a woman's (or other teenager in this case) breast, in american slang)

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:12 am

americantrotter wrote:I'll always remember that world cup. It was the 1st time I was old enough to care that England broke my heart. (I was only 9 in 86, and the games were only on here in spanish, felt a little disconnected) The other reason was it was the 1st time I got to 2nd base. (That would be touching a woman's (or other teenager in this case) breast, in american slang)
AT -
could you explain what each base means? It's always intrigued me. I could hazard a guess, but it'd be nice to know for sure.
It'll also help me shed some light on Meat Loaf's classic pop ditty "Paradise by the dashboard light".
Probably.
Thanks.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:17 am

:conf:

Still none the wiser.

However, back on topic - I was only 3 or 4 when this world cup was on. France 98 was the big one for me, the first one, I could really get into. But from watching highlights, seems England were crap through the group stages. This true?
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:55 am

i was commenting on your use of the "n" word which is causing such a stir in tabloid-land

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:55 am

I seem to have missed it?
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:08 pm

Nozza wrote:I seem to have missed it?
How, exactly? :conf:

All tips gratefully received!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:05 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

I don't read many papers y'see. Full o'shite.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:13 pm

Nozza wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

I don't read many papers y'see. Full o'shite.
Me neither, well, not often, but there were even people talking about it yesterday as I queued up for a butty.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:50 pm

americantrotter wrote:I'll always remember that world cup. It was the 1st time I was old enough to care that England broke my heart. (I was only 9 in 86, and the games were only on here in spanish, felt a little disconnected) The other reason was it was the 1st time I got to 2nd base. (That would be touching a woman's (or other teenager in this case) breast, in american slang)
You did that when you were 9!?

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:54 pm

Daxter wrote:
You did that when you were 9!?
13. He means the 1990 world cup, not the '86. :D