England to play for nowt

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

England to play for nowt

Post by cowdrill » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:25 pm

Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:51 pm

Shouldn't get bleedin' paid to play for your country anyhow.... Just wonder how badly they'll play now if they don't get to keep there win bonuses!!
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:57 pm

Yeah. Expecting to get paid for working! These professional footballers really take the piss don't they? :roll:

They can't win can they - they give their pay to charity and still kop for a load of abuse.
Businesswoman of the year.

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:43 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:Yeah. Expecting to get paid for working! These professional footballers really take the piss don't they? :roll:

They can't win can they - they give their pay to charity and still kop for a load of abuse.
It's fine getting paid to play football for the clubs, but do you honestly think they should get payments to play for England?

I just cannot see any justification for it. I could possibly understand if footballers weren't paid as much as they are, but taking home a minimum in that squad of what £25k a week, it makes no sense to me. Its not like they'd need the expenses.

Surely playing for your country should be an honour not a job...
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:22 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:Yeah. Expecting to get paid for working! These professional footballers really take the piss don't they? :roll:

It's fine getting paid to play football for the clubs, but do you honestly think they should get payments to play for England?

I just cannot see any justification for it. I could possibly understand if footballers weren't paid as much as they are, but taking home a minimum in that squad of what £25k a week, it makes no sense to me. Its not like they'd need the expenses.

Surely playing for your country should be an honour not a job...
I actually agree with you, I just couldn't resist the sarcasm in my last post. Apologies for that. :mrgreen:

I guess it stems back to the old days when the players didn't earn millions a year each. They probably actually needed the money when playing for their country. Giving it to charity nowadays is the right thing to do. What's flabbergasting is that it's taken them this long to get round to it; they probably should've made this decision ten years ago.
Businesswoman of the year.