Stevens Inquiry

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Stevens Inquiry

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:18 pm

Dont know which forum to put this in. Theyre supposed to be coming up with some names this afternoon occording to some of the papers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.j ... fro115.xml

I've got a feeling we're gonna be on that list.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Re: Stevens Inquiry

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:22 pm

Telegraph wrote:It is understood that, along with the agents, at least one big-name manager could be charged..
fingers crossed eh :mrgreen:

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:25 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:
Telegraph wrote:It is understood that, along with the agents, at least one big-name manager could be charged..
Not sure how I'd feel if that happened. Only a few months back most of us were defending Big Sam over this malarky.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:27 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:
Not sure how I'd feel if that happened. Only a few months back most of us were defending Big Sam over this malarky.
yes, and others were saying sensible things like "if Sam drags this football clubs name through the mud then can we back him"

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:27 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:
Screw him! The dodgy get deserves everything he gets... :mrgreen:

Seriously, I can't help but wonder if his sudden departure from us was something to do with the inquiry. :?
Businesswoman of the year.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:00 pm

My question is....

Lets say BS did a couple of dodgy deals that the club were unaware of. Should the club be penalised or just BS?

On 1 hand you could argue Bolton benefited by getting the player due to the dodgy deal and therefore we should be punished. on the other hand it could be the player was crap and wouldn't have been signed without a bung and therefore only BS benefited - BS only to be punished.

Fingers crossed we are clear, but most importantly any mud doesn't stick to the club and only to BS!

chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by chris » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:06 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:My question is....

Lets say BS did a couple of dodgy deals that the club were unaware of. Should the club be penalised or just BS?

On 1 hand you could argue Bolton benefited by getting the player due to the dodgy deal and therefore we should be punished. on the other hand it could be the player was crap and wouldn't have been signed without a bung and therefore only BS benefited - BS only to be punished.

Fingers crossed we are clear, but most importantly any mud doesn't stick to the club and only to BS!
Unfortunately, I don't think the media would see it like that.
I do think we will be involved though - I just hope any punishment doesn't involve points.
'Far away, there in the sunshine are my aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them and try to follow where they may lead.' (Louisa May Alcott)

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:17 pm

chris wrote: Unfortunately, I don't think the media would see it like that.
I do think we will be involved though - I just hope any punishment doesn't involve points.
Given our popularity I can see an even bigger campaign against us than Wet Spam :roll:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:21 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
chris wrote: Unfortunately, I don't think the media would see it like that.
Given our popularity I can see an even bigger campaign against us than Wet Spam :roll:
Let's see Bolton or SA in print first before we start axe-weilding hey?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:24 pm

The potential shame is the one silver lining in Sam dumping us unceremoniously with two games left and joining the Toon (which seemed very odd to me at the time). I doubt BWFC would face heavy sanctions if we were unaware of Sam taking bungs and, should that be the conclusion, we no longer have to support him right or wrong. If Stevens handed in his report 'weeks ago' I assume Phil has been tipped off as to contents. Possibly he asked Sam to resign, but I'm not sure we will ever know the full story.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:30 pm

If only our chairman was a powerbroker on the FA Council.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:49 pm

I dont trust the Mirror at all but:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... -19300180/

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:05 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:I dont trust the Mirror at all but:

No formal charges will be brought today, but the Premier League will announce a joint inquiry with the FA, whose compliance unit will head the next stage of the process.
hmm yeah, 2 and a bit years and they need another enquiry. Who says Lord Stevens' team haven't been effective?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:35 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
superjohnmcginlay wrote:I dont trust the Mirror at all but:

No formal charges will be brought today, but the Premier League will announce a joint inquiry with the FA, whose compliance unit will head the next stage of the process.
hmm yeah, 2 and a bit years and they need another enquiry. Who says Lord Stevens' team haven't been effective?
And probably charged a bloody fortune for being so.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:39 pm

Breaking on SSN now...

Apparently Cech and Drogba's transfers were iffy.

Craig Allardyce implicated.

Pompey, Boro, Chelsea and Newcastle under Souness all have iffy transfers that need looking into.
Last edited by blurred on Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:40 pm

blurred wrote:Apparently Cech and Drogba's transfers were iffy.

Craig Allardyce implicated.

Pompey, Boro, Chelsea and Newcastle under Souness all have iffy transfers that need looking into.
Source?

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:44 pm

Sky Sports News - my mate's telling me about it on MSN (also getting posted on RAWK).

Apparently the Drogba and Cech ones are more to do with Pini Zahavi not being cooperative with Lord Stevens.

Marshall
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Marshall » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:46 pm

Apparently 4 transfers of ours are dodgy, Blessing Kaku, Al-Habsi, Ben Haim...and a name I honestly have heard....

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:58 pm

Seventeen transfers and five clubs have been named in Lord Stevens' findings from his inquiry into alleged illegal payments by Premier League clubs.
Chelsea, Newcastle, Bolton, Portsmouth and Middlesbrough were all named as having breached transfer regulations.

The clubs face a further investigation from the Football Association but it is understood Newcastle and Bolton are viewed as the most serious miscreants.

Stevens has also expressed concern about 15 agents and two managers.

One is Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce, and a conflict of interest with his former agent son Craig and Bolton Wanderers.

The other is Graeme Souness, with with Stevens reporting "inconsistencies in evidence" provided by the former Newcastle manager and Kenneth Shepherd, son of Magpies chairman Freddy Shepherd.

Of the 17 transfers, four relate to Newcastle signings (Emre Belozoglu, Jean Alain Boumsong, Amady Faye, Albert Luque), four to Bolton (Ali Al-Habsi, Tal Ben Haim, Blessing Kaku, Julio Correia), three to Chelsea (Didier Drogba, Petr Cech, Michael Essien), three to Portsmouth (Collins Mbesuma, Benjani Mwaruwari, Aliou Cisse) and two to Middlesbrough (Aiyegbeni Yakubu and Fabio Rochemback) while one transfer has not been disclosed.

Lord Stevens said in a statement: "Many lessons have been learned and strict adherence to and enforcement of the recommendations should ensure that the game and the transfer market can proceed in an untainted and transparent manner."

The Premier League will now send the findings to the FA and Fifa.

An FA spokesman said: "Following the final report of the Premier League's Quest Inquiry, the FA will give full consideration to its contents and the documentation that is due to be passed on by the Premier League and Quest.

"The FA has provided full co-operation and support to the Premier League and Quest and will now go through their information as part of our governance and regulation process. This will determine what action is required."

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:03 pm

Oh dear.