FIFA U20 World Cup

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

FIFA U20 World Cup

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:14 pm

Starts in Montreal on June 30th with Poland v Brazil (55,000 tickets sold already so that one's a sellout). England didn't make it but Scotland did. :shock: However, Scotland's group is in Victoria which is further from here than Glasgow. Should be fun watching some of the young talent.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:22 pm

The South Americans take this competition way more seriously than Europe, with the exception, I think, of Spain...
Will be good if you can manage to watch the young Brazilians Monty.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:29 pm

:shock:
Businesswoman of the year.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:41 pm

Athers wrote:The South Americans take this competition way more seriously than Europe, with the exception, I think, of Spain...
Will be good if you can manage to watch the young Brazilians Monty.
Brazil plays twice here and once in Ottawa (the group (D) includes Poland, USA and Korean Republic (both Koreas made it for some reason). They say the young Brazilians to watch are Pato, a highly rated striker, and Lucas, a midfield engine. We will see. We also get two games from other groups (Portugal v Gambia and Czech v. Panama) so I will have a few chances to watch before I leave for vacation.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Leonard
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: FIFA U20 World Cup

Post by Leonard » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:43 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:Starts in Montreal on June 30th with Poland v Brazil (55,000 tickets sold already so that one's a sellout). England didn't make it but Scotland did. :shock: However, Scotland's group is in Victoria which is further from here than Glasgow. Should be fun watching some of the young talent.
I used this exact phrase when talking about the Brazilian Girls Under 20 Beach Volleyball team and got a smack of the missus for my troubles!
Lenny's Trusty Trolley - Unofficially sponsored by www.physioroom.com

AND.... Neville's Barbers on Church Road!!!

AND NOW... Mich's Beefy Burgers!!!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Re: FIFA U20 World Cup

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:53 pm

Leonard wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:Starts in Montreal on June 30th with Poland v Brazil (55,000 tickets sold already so that one's a sellout). England didn't make it but Scotland did. :shock: However, Scotland's group is in Victoria which is further from here than Glasgow. Should be fun watching some of the young talent.
I used this exact phrase when talking about the Brazilian Girls Under 20 Beach Volleyball team and got a smack of the missus for my troubles!
Engage brain before putting mouth in gear, eh?

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:14 pm

she appears to be very hungry

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:19 pm

communistworkethic wrote:she appears to be very hungry
So apparently did Leonard.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:08 pm

Tournament opened this weekend. Poland (with ten men for the last hour) beat Brazil 1-0 here in Montreal - though I must admit the samba kings dominated possession, but could not finish.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:36 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:They say the young Brazilians to watch are Pato, a highly rated striker, and Lucas, a midfield engine. We will see.
The latter being the midfielder that Liverpool picked up from Gremio a month or so back. I'd appreciate any feedback on his performances if you manage to catch them, Monty :)

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:42 pm

Our lad smith injured himself training for this right?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:56 pm

blurred wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:They say the young Brazilians to watch are Pato, a highly rated striker, and Lucas, a midfield engine. We will see.
The latter being the midfielder that Liverpool picked up from Gremio a month or so back. I'd appreciate any feedback on his performances if you manage to catch them, Monty :)
Brazil had about 2/3 of the possession after the red card so it was much of a test in midfield - certainly Lucas did not stand out. Pato had his chances but blew them. BTW, on the winning side there was a certain Jaroslaw Fojut.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:58 pm

americantrotter wrote:Our lad smith injured himself training for this right?
yes, just over a week ago and now dropped from the team.
Smith suffered a third-degree sprain of his right ankle in the U-20s 4-0 scrimmage win against New Zealand on Monday. In January, Smith was a part of the U.S. team that qualified for FIFA Under-20 World Cup, scoring a goal and an assist in one appearance in Panama. The 20-year-old forward plays professionally in England for Bolton F.C.
Bolton FC??? Where's the W?

Batman

Post by Batman » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:07 pm

What the fook is a scrimmage

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:13 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Smith suffered a third-degree sprain of his right ankle in the U-20s 4-0 scrimmage win against New Zealand on Monday. In January, Smith was a part of the U.S. team that qualified for FIFA Under-20 World Cup, scoring a goal and an assist in one appearance in Panama. The 20-year-old forward plays professionally in England for Bolton F.C.
Altogether now:

Land of Hope And Glory,
Home of Bolton FC,
We will follow the Waaaaaaaand-'rers,
On to victory...

File under "Songs you never hear any more" (along with Keep the White Flag Flying High and dozens of others)

Anyway, yon Brazilian Pato you mentioned about a fortnight ago (when I wasn't reading) – he has a 20m Euros release fee which Chelsea, Milan, Juventus etc are willing to pay despite him being a teenager (and thus presumably likely to avoid training by staying in his room listening to emo music). Started playing futsal at three years old, kept under wraps till he signed the contract, then scored two in his first three games for Internacional - at the World Club Cup...

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:19 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
this is why yanks will never grasp footy. :roll:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:42 pm

Batman wrote:What the fook is a scrimmage
A scrimmage is basically an informal game between players on the same team (in this case) or it could be any pickup game in the park. In the context the OED says "A session in which an offensive squad practises plays against a defensive squad." but that largely applies to what commie calls gridiron - where a scrimmage is part of a real game.

So I would say it meant, in this context, a simulated game in a training session.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:48 pm

But it implies that it was a game against New Zealand - are they using it in terms of 'friendly'? Sounds like it was a competitive game, at any rate.

Nice that they rate their sprains over there, as well...

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:35 pm

blurred wrote:But it implies that it was a game against New Zealand - are they using it in terms of 'friendly'? Sounds like it was a competitive game, at any rate.

Nice that they rate their sprains over there, as well...
True, I guess then a friendly non-contact game between the two squads - a bit like one of our all star games.
Sprains I'm told can be worse than breaks.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:14 pm

It's a closed door game. Happen all the time in Europe.