£16m for Henry is a bit of a bargain if you ask me

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:35 am

So how does Terry's arrival affect the remarkably cute Eidur???
Nobody puts Baby in a corner

www.can-i-see.blogspot.com

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:11 pm

Gertie wrote:So how does Terry's arrival affect the remarkably cute Eidur???
Out on his ear unless he fancies being fifth choice

There's a purple-nosed bloke back in the northwest who likes the look of him

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:29 pm

Imagine if they keep who they've got right now.

------------Eto'o
Henry--------------Messi

---------Ronaldinho-------

-------Xavi-----Deco

Horribly aggressive (perhaps put Marquez in midfield to bolster it) but my word.

The likes of Eidur, Saviola, Guily etc. can't get in the team..
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:47 pm

Athers wrote:Imagine if they keep who they've got right now.

------------Eto'o
Henry--------------Messi

---------Ronaldinho-------

-------Xavi-----Deco

Horribly aggressive (perhaps put Marquez in midfield to bolster it) but my word.

The likes of Eidur, Saviola, Guily etc. can't get in the team..
Indeed, and all three are likely to leave. I'd like to sign the latter, partly because he's good, and partly because there's a very small chance we could serenade him with a Shakin Stevens tune... :mrgreen:

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:18 am

communistworkethic wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:This is good news in one sense because I think it could legimiately open the Champions League to us.
:conf:
exactly.

not withstanding the spelling or the odd use of "legitimately", Henry didn't have a great season last year and the arse managed to do ok, next season would be no different. Reyes and Walcott is hardly a shitty attacking combination. Henry is not the difference between champs league and waffa cup for the arse.
Yes, clubs routinely shake off the loss of their talismanic all-time top scorer and captain. Arsenal haven't looked the same since losing Vieira, what will losing Henry do to them? Despite his injury troubles he was still one goal away from being their top scorer. For a side that was criticised for lacking a killer touch, van Persie and Adebayor aren't going to replace the sustained brilliance of Henry. And Reyes? You really think he'll be back after begging Madrid like a dog to keep him?

Do you just try to post the opposite of whatever I say?

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:46 am

And in what way does that ramble support your assertion that the loss of Henry will "legitmately open up the Champions League to us"??

The fact is that the gap between them and us was huge, there were 2 teams between us at the end of the season, and we showed the gap ourselves with the inability to take our chance against them - without Henry in their side.

Reyes may or may not return, it's arsenal's choice, he probably wont be at Real it's pretty safe to say. Whoever they have, I'm prepapred to bet that it's not a barrel-chested battering ram previously discarded by half a dozen clubs, who's never scored more than around a dozen goals a season in all comps who makes them quite one-dimensional.

If losing viera was so damaging to arsenal - dropping about 2 places, then losing your manager must be up there with "catastrophic" by that mark and BSA moving to newcastle must surely "legitimately open up" relegation to us, if we apply your genius logic??

Of course I post the opposite of you when you post nonsense like you do.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:00 am

The gap between Arsenal and Bolton was large at the end of the season, but had we beaten them at the Emirates (if I recall correctly) we would have gone above them in the table. I think Henry's departure will be seen as a sign that Arsenal are in serious, serious trouble and they will struggle to replace him - he's one of a kind anyway. Meanwhile, Sammy seems determined to improve the squad so we are less likely to experience another free-fall down the table. With a manager who might actually sign cover and switch tactics when things aren't going well, why is it so unrealistic to assume we can mount a challege to the top 4 this season?

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:12 am

yes we would've gone above them, we didn't- because they were better when it mattered and then we couldn't string results togather after that to keep pace - we weren't good enough, we scraped in to europe ahead of a newly promoted team, that's how big the gap was and they didn't have Henry playing regularly.

Of course LSL's signings will be putting the fear of God in to Arsenal, players nobody had heard of and 2 of Villa's reserves. Yes Arsenal will be shivvering like a shitting dog at the thought of it. Notwthstanding all the other teams in the league who will be looking at Europe at strengthening, Arsenal's squad is already stronger and it'll get stronger again over the summer.

LSL may buy cover, it might be shite. He may change tactics, he might have to because we're doing shite. I'm open minded as to his possible success but if I'm to judge the relative impacts of Arsenal losing Henry for £16million in return or us losing Allardyce, I'm pretty confident the latter will have the bigger impact. In fact, if we finish in a Champions League spot ahead of Arsenal I'll give £100 to Bolton Lads & Girls Club.

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:03 pm

aye anyone who thinks we might mount a challenge for the top 4 next season is going to be in for a rude awakening i feel

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:49 pm

Personally I'm hoping Reyes gets sold and Van Persie goes to jail for that thing in Holland around September 1st. Imagine Walcott trying to get through Faye and Meite.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:58 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:Personally I'm hoping Reyes gets sold and Van Persie goes to jail for that thing in Holland around September 1st. Imagine Walcott trying to get through Faye and Meite.
Reyes doesn't want to return, and Arsenal need the money from his sale - only question is to whom.
The claims against RvP have long been dropped but I reckon he'll be either injured or suspended :mrgreen:

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:07 am

H. Pedersen wrote:Personally I'm hoping Reyes gets sold and Van Persie goes to jail for that thing in Holland around September 1st. Imagine Walcott trying to get through Faye and Meite.

It takes little imagination to see him skip past them with a combination of pace and guile, as they lumber after him.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:43 am

To be fair Walcott was pants at the Reebok last year, both Ben Haim (at full back) and Hunt had him in their pockets...another year and he might be a bit more grown up and tougher to deal with though.

Village Idiot
Promising
Promising

Post by Village Idiot » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:43 am

Gertie wrote:So how does Terry's arrival affect the remarkably cute Eidur???
He's not transfer listed at the moment, although I can hardly see him being more than the 5th player for the 3 attacking positions. Given that he's a high wage player it seems he would be out, but the buzz is that he'll stay.

He started pretty well last season, but petered out as pretty much the rest of the team two thirds into it.
Barça fan that loves a team in white :shock:

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:00 am

£16m for Henry
£16m for Darren Bent

further proof of the English player stealth tax

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:51 am

H. Pedersen wrote:
communistworkethic wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:This is good news in one sense because I think it could legimiately open the Champions League to us.
:conf:
exactly.

not withstanding the spelling or the odd use of "legitimately", Henry didn't have a great season last year and the arse managed to do ok, next season would be no different. Reyes and Walcott is hardly a shitty attacking combination. Henry is not the difference between champs league and waffa cup for the arse.
Yes, clubs routinely shake off the loss of their talismanic all-time top scorer and captain. Arsenal haven't looked the same since losing Vieira, what will losing Henry do to them? Despite his injury troubles he was still one goal away from being their top scorer. For a side that was criticised for lacking a killer touch, van Persie and Adebayor aren't going to replace the sustained brilliance of Henry. And Reyes? You really think he'll be back after begging Madrid like a dog to keep him?

Do you just try to post the opposite of whatever I say?
Got to agree Peds, There will be no Reyes, and while Arsernal played some lovely football without Henry, they were also without goals, he made the difference to that team, just as Viera made that bit extra that made them champions.

The two biggest parts of their recent success have now gone, it will be a very hard act to follow. Persoanlly depending on whther Spurs sell anyone now that they've got Bent, I fancy them for 4th with Arsenal slipping to 5th.