Promising players getting unlucky.

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Promising players getting unlucky.

Post by Verbal » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:27 pm

Reading something in the Trotters forum regarding an injury to Alan Wardon and how he was 'never the same player again' got me thinking about others who had suffered a similar fate. One of the great shames for me during my tenure as a Bolton fan (since mid 90s) was seeing Dean Holden break his leg against Sheff. Utd I think. He seemed like a good solid right back til then, a great shame. I was just wondering if you can think, Bolton or no, of other promising players who were never the same after injury.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Mich Caine

Post by Mich Caine » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:31 pm

There was a guy at Bolton about 1998 sort of time who was highly rated, was it Morrison or something like that? Apparently had a very bad leg injury and never seen again.

What happened to Snorason? I remember when we signed him that Bayern Munich and some other big clubs wanted him. How can someone so highly thought of end up never being heard of ever again? Did he get injured or something?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:31 pm

The two that spring to mind for me are Mark Came and Andy Walker. :(
May the bridges I burn light your way

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:35 pm

Duong Thatch was another - always mentioned in the same breath as Vaz Te when it came to precocious talents. Seems to have gone quietly.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Mich Caine

Post by Mich Caine » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:45 pm

Verbal wrote:Duong Thatch was another - always mentioned in the same breath as Vaz Te when it came to precocious talents. Seems to have gone quietly.
Doung Thatch lmfao. How about Jeremy Bon, who was talked about as if he was the new Peter Shilton. He was released about 3 years ago. Another dud!

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:47 pm

Thach and Snorason are in the same pile as Mani Morini I reckon.

Walker and Holden are definitely two that spring to mind, although I'm sure they consider themselves relatively lucky when compared to Nicky Spooner.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

Mich Caine

Post by Mich Caine » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:50 pm

Lord Karanga? Remember him? I remember reading awesome reports about him and was emailing my mates about this signing. Luckily they all forgot.

Mich Caine

Post by Mich Caine » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:52 pm

Mich Caine wrote:There was a guy at Bolton about 1998 sort of time who was highly rated, was it Morrison or something like that? Apparently had a very bad leg injury and never seen again.

What happened to Snorason? I remember when we signed him that Bayern Munich and some other big clubs wanted him. How can someone so highly thought of end up never being heard of ever again? Did he get injured or something?
Peter Morrison that's his name. Anyone remember him? People on a forum I wrote on back then said he was better than Ricky Gardner.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... areer.html

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:54 pm

Mich Caine wrote:Lord Karanga? Remember him?
Indeed, but he wasn't unlucky, simply bobbins!

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:55 pm

Black curly hair if I'm thinking of the same bloke, saw him a couple of times for the Reserves but he never struck me as being a particularly special player.

Mich Caine

Post by Mich Caine » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:56 pm

Leyther_Matt wrote:Black curly hair if I'm thinking of the same bloke, saw him a couple of times for the Reserves but he never struck me as being a particularly special player.
Oh he was special alright Matt. He came to the ground in the short bus.

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:58 pm

Mich Caine wrote:What happened to Snorason? I remember when we signed him that Bayern Munich and some other big clubs wanted him.
Playing for Hafnarfjördur of Iceland - player number 19 on their official club site!

http://www.fhingar.is/Index/English/Players/

Duong Thatch was at FF Jaro in November 2004 - but I can't find anything on him since.

Jeremy Bon seems to have simply disappeared - can't find a mention of him anywhere!

Mich Caine

Post by Mich Caine » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:01 pm

sluffy wrote:
Mich Caine wrote:What happened to Snorason? I remember when we signed him that Bayern Munich and some other big clubs wanted him.
Playing for Hafnarfjördur of Iceland - player number 19 on their official club site!

http://www.fhingar.is/Index/English/Players/

Duong Thatch was at FF Jaro in November 2004 - but I can't find anything on him since.

Jeremy Bon seems to have simply disappeared - can't find a mention of him anywhere!
Hafnarfjördur are the champions of Iceland which is rather impressive. Well kind of.

As for Jeremy Bon who has vanished, I just hope they catch whoever did it.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:26 am

Kanaga Lord Ndiwa was a big old unit but that was it. He playd in a pre-season friendly against Halifax Town and looked out of his depth there.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:52 am

I'm suprised Florent Laville hasn't been mentioned. The guy had legend written all over him, but simply never came back from his injury.
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:55 am

I think Jeremy Bon is playing for Lancaster. Could be wrong.

Away from Bolton...we had a player called Mark Maley. Right back, solid as you like. Had a bright future ahead of him, and had played for England at Schoolboy, U16, U17 and U18 level. The John fecking Oster shot him in the eye. Never played again.
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:05 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:I'm suprised Florent Laville hasn't been mentioned. The guy had legend written all over him, but simply never came back from his injury.
True enough
and Nicky Spooner ... that was a nasty injury as I recall.. least I think it was Spooner it was a long while ago and I am old yer know?
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:17 pm

norm the jedi wrote:
Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:I'm suprised Florent Laville hasn't been mentioned. The guy had legend written all over him, but simply never came back from his injury.
True enough
and Nicky Spooner ... that was a nasty injury as I recall.. least I think it was Spooner it was a long while ago and I am old yer know?
was talking to him about his injury when I played with him in May. Seems he fecked himself up a bit as he broke it will recovering and needed several ops which kept himout way longer than originally planned. He said it wasn't that he was fit to play again it was just that the level of the game had moved forward in those 2/3 years and he couldn't hack it at that level. He went out to play in the states for a while.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:50 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
norm the jedi wrote: and Nicky Spooner ... that was a nasty injury as I recall.. least I think it was Spooner it was a long while ago and I am old yer know?
was talking to him about his injury when I played with him in May. Seems he fecked himself up a bit as he broke it will recovering and needed several ops which kept himout way longer than originally planned. He said it wasn't that he was fit to play again it was just that the level of the game had moved forward in those 2/3 years and he couldn't hack it at that level. He went out to play in the states for a while.
The last time that I saw Nicky Spooner play, he came on as sub for Leigh RMI, and went in goal against Boston. Leigh also had the legendary Steve Thompson on the bench that day too, but alas, no 'keeper.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:59 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:The two that spring to mind for me are Mark Came and Andy Walker. :(
Simon Coleman
Sto ut Serviam