Your favourite match which doesn't involve your team.

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Your favourite match which doesn't involve your team.

Post by Nozza » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:25 pm

Simple really, as the title says.

For me, it would be the League 1 play off Final between Hartlepool and Sheff Wed.

First time at Millenium Stadium, Hartlepool dominated the game and came 9 minutes away from Championship football, only for it to be taken away with a dramatic equaliser and then they lost their heads in extra time.

What about everyone else?
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

Batman

Post by Batman » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:32 pm

Roma 2 2 Lazio

I went to this Rome derby in 2001.

Roma 2 up, Batistuta and Delvecchio, then Nedved and Castroman with two in two mins to equalise.

Awesome, in the stadium 7hrs beforehand along with 90,000 others - incredible times.

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Rotherham 1-0 Leeds a few seasons ago 2004. It was a Monday night game live on Sky the season Leeds got relegated. Only 1-0 but a really entertaining game. Plus Rotherham fans were chuffed at rubbing salt in Leeds' wounds.
"Don't like modern bands. Topman music, innit?"

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:00 pm

Batman wrote:Roma 2 2 Lazio

I went to this Rome derby in 2001.

Roma 2 up, Batistuta and Delvecchio, then Nedved and Castroman with two in two mins to equalise.

Awesome, in the stadium 7hrs beforehand along with 90,000 others - incredible times.
7 hours before kick off?!?!

I'm lucky if I get in 7 minutes beforehand!

Whats the craic with that one then, oh caped one?
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

Batman

Post by Batman » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:08 pm

Well it was for my 18th so as a special occasion we went to Rome to see the derby as I follow Serie A in a big way - always have.

We got there and were advised to get to the Olimpico (a 8pm kick off) at noon at the latest. We ignored it and went at one, it was full already.

Banners, fireworks, fires, riots..............absolutely awesome.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:53 pm

the 1979 FA cup final was excellent - ManUre got back from 2-0 down against Arsenal, to 2-1 with 4 minutes left and equalized 2 minutes later - so all back square with two minutes left tp play. Much celebrating from the red bastages only to see the smiles wiped off one minute later when Alan Sunderland popped up at the back post to slide the ball home for the winner.... :mrgreen:

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:31 pm

the charlton v sunderland playoff final that had about 30 penalties (were you there nozza?) and liverpool v milan in istanbul

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:38 pm

James B wrote:the charlton v sunderland playoff final that had about 30 penalties (were you there nozza?) and liverpool v milan in istanbul
Yeah that was a cracking game; I think it had everything you could ever ask from a game of football. One of the few times I've actually enjoyed watching Liverpool play. :fishing: :mrgreen:

My all time favourite game is England vs Scotland in Euro 96. Now that was a game - wish I'd been there! Also has my fave England goal in it if you're interested. Needs no introduction.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaNThXSn1E0
Businesswoman of the year.

Milky_Joe
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Milky_Joe » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:05 pm

I don't think this one needs much introduction...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EEee1qoIQHg

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:07 pm

The FA Cup final a few years ago between the shammers and liverpool - absolutely cracking game to watch from a neutral perspective. Also capped off by one of the best strikes of a ball that I've ever seen.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FO-c-ljsq ... ed&search=
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:18 pm

Verbal wrote:The FA Cup final a few years ago between the shammers and liverpool - absolutely cracking game to watch from a neutral perspective. Also capped off by one of the best strikes of a ball that I've ever seen.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FO-c-ljsq ... ed&search=
Plus the icing on the cake was seeing all the knackered Spam players limping about in pain because of the extra time played. :lol:
Oops, shouldn't laugh should I? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Businesswoman of the year.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:06 pm

For sheer comedy value, West Ham Vs Spurs last season.

Mich Caine

Post by Mich Caine » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:49 pm

As much as I am not a huge England fan, I loved the Euro 96 matches against Holland and Scotland. Just awesome atmosphere, real party time, they were really good matches.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:25 pm

Charlton 4 Sunderland 4 probably Nozza.

Newcastle beating United 5-0 was somewhat a laugh too I suppose.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:58 pm

James B wrote:the charlton v sunderland playoff final that had about 30 penalties (were you there nozza?) and liverpool v milan in istanbul
Aye. 2nd and last time at the old Wem-ber-lee. The Charlton fans were miserable as feck after the game.

(1st time was the 92 Cup Final when we got beat 2-0 by Liverpool, but was a wee nipper so doesn't really count)

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:41 pm

Senegal vs France- opening game of 2002 world cup.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:38 pm

swan vesta
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:02 am

1966 World Cup
Goodison
Friday Night
Hungary 3 Brazil 1

FIFA's 5th best world cup match of all time.

don't know how they found 4 better

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Your favourite match which doesn't involve your team.

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:39 am

Nozza wrote:Simple really, as the title says.

For me, it would be the League 1 play off Final between Hartlepool and Sheff Wed.

First time at Millenium Stadium, Hartlepool dominated the game and came 9 minutes away from Championship football, only for it to be taken away with a dramatic equaliser and then they lost their heads in extra time.

What about everyone else?
I went to that funnily enough.....

Most play off finals are amazing games

Soton 6 - 1 Scum was a classic

The liverpool v toon 4-3's from about 10 years ago now were great

England 5 - 1 Germany (ok not strictly within the rules)

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:57 am

CrazyHorse wrote:My all time favourite game is England vs Scotland in Euro 96. Now that was a game - wish I'd been there! Also has my fave England goal in it if you're interested. Needs no introduction.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaNThXSn1E0
Funnily enough, one of my least favourite games! I can still vividly remember being a heartbroken 10 year old crying on the couch as Gascoigne ripped the piss out of Hendry. :(

That Liverpool-West Ham game was a cracker, even funnier for the fact that I'd previously planned on watching Hearts-Gretna instead and my mate reckoned I should have switched to BBC Scotland after 10 minutes of 'the worst Cup Final ever' - poor judgement doesn't begin to describe it! :)