Benitez .... prick

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:44 pm

Aug 22 2007 EXCLUSIVE by Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

RAFA BENITEZ today accused the Premier League of unfair treatment which threatens to wreck any chance of a Liverpool title challenge. A furious Reds boss says it’s clear decisions are being taken which favour the Reds’ rivals, with yesterday’s dismissal of Gabriel Heinze’s bid to join Liverpool the latest setback.

In a blistering attack, Benitez said today: “I would like to ask the Premier League a number of questions. How can a player with a signed agreement be treated like this?

“He has a document which is clear, but the Premier League prefers to believe the word of someone else who made a mistake. I know there were accusations made against Liverpool in the hearing which were unbelievable. How can this be allowed?

“Then I would like to ask the Premier League why is it that Liverpool always plays the most fixtures, away from home in an early kick-off, following an international break? We had more than the top clubs last season and we have four already to prepare for this season.

“Then I want to ask the Premier League why it was so so difficult for Liverpool to sign Javier Mascherano, when we had to wait a long time for the paperwork, but it was so easy for Carlos Tevez to join Manchester United?

“It’s going to be very difficult for us to win the Premier League because the other teams are so strong, but I want our supporters to know that despite the disadvantages we have, we will fight all the way.

“We will fight to cope with our more difficult kick-off times and all the other decisions which are going against us.”

Benitez is pondering his contingency plan on Heinze, while recognising the courage the player has shown in a bid to join Liverpool. Heinze is ready to risk being stuck in limbo for a year to fight on for his move to Liverpool. His appeal against the decision denying his switch to Anfield won’t be heard until September - after the transfer deadline. But if the Argentine is successful in a fresh hearing, there is a provision for a deal to proceed outside the transfer window.

Should his appeal fail, however, he’ll be stuck in United’s reserves for the season, until he can buy himself out of the club next summer. The 29-year-old was distraught following yesterday’s verdict, but his appeal will be heard by a new committee. Yesterday, a two man panel consisting of Premier League Chairman Sir David Richards (ex-Sheffield Wednesday) and legal advisor Peter McCormick (ex-Leeds) rejected the Manchester United defender’s claim he had permission to join any club for £6.8m.

They agreed with the submissions of United chief executive David Gill and manager Sir Alex Ferguson, who argued it was made clear from the outset the agreement referred only to a foreign transfer. It is being suggested Gill also made the extraordinary claim that Liverpool asked Crystal Palace to sign Heinze on their behalf, before selling him on to the Reds. The fact the exit fee was valued in euros rather than pounds was used as a key argument.

An appeal panel will consist of three, including a PFA representative and a high ranking member of the legal profession. Heinze remains optimistic an appeal will be accepted and is in no mood to give up on his hopes of moving to Liverpool. His solicitor, Richard Green, said today: “We are extremely disappointed with the result and we will be appealing.”

There is no means of appeal to the Premier League after the next hearing. United are now hoping to offload Heinze to another club, and are prepared to accept much less than £6.8m. They also know Heinze will be in a position to force his move to Liverpool within 12 months.

The difficulty for Liverpool boss Benitez is he’s keen for a defensive reinforcement before the end of this month, and now knows he can’t rely on the Heinze verdict going the player’s way.
awwwwwwwwwww :(

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:48 pm

boltonboris wrote:It's basically because they are the more attractive option to show on the weekends - Apart from Liverpool fans, people would rather watch Man Utd and Chelsea games..

The reason you play at those time is because you are an attractive fixture for viewers and because of your own large fan base people WILL tune in - It's just that the UK, nay, the world would rather watch the other of the 'big 4' hence why they are shown during the more lucrative time zones
At the fans Q&A with Rick Parry (Chief Exec) in the summer, we were told that the TV scheduling has nothing to do with the Far East or other timezone markets, and is purely a Sky thing. I know that we're a more attractive proposition to watch and that we're a good 'brand' for the PL to export, but it's more a case of the times of these games rather than the fact that we're on telly.

I just did a quick count on our fixtures last year, and we played twelve league games with 12:45 (or 12:15/12:30) kick offs last year. That's almost a third of our games, which is quite frankly ridiculous! When you're coming back from an international break, perhaps having played away in Europe, there's a big difference between starting a game at 12:45 on a Saturday and 4pm on a Sunday. That's what Rafa's moaning about in the above piece. Hopefully with the new deal we won't have too many early games this season (for the squad, but more for my sake! :D)

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:49 pm

James B wrote:awwwwwwwwwww :(
:D

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:53 pm

blurred wrote:
boltonboris wrote:It's basically because they are the more attractive option to show on the weekends - Apart from Liverpool fans, people would rather watch Man Utd and Chelsea games..

The reason you play at those time is because you are an attractive fixture for viewers and because of your own large fan base people WILL tune in - It's just that the UK, nay, the world would rather watch the other of the 'big 4' hence why they are shown during the more lucrative time zones
At the fans Q&A with Rick Parry (Chief Exec) in the summer, we were told that the TV scheduling has nothing to do with the Far East or other timezone markets, and is purely a Sky thing. I know that we're a more attractive proposition to watch and that we're a good 'brand' for the PL to export, but it's more a case of the times of these games rather than the fact that we're on telly.

I just did a quick count on our fixtures last year, and we played twelve league games with 12:45 (or 12:15/12:30) kick offs last year. That's almost a third of our games, which is quite frankly ridiculous! When you're coming back from an international break, perhaps having played away in Europe, there's a big difference between starting a game at 12:45 on a Saturday and 4pm on a Sunday. That's what Rafa's moaning about in the above piece. Hopefully with the new deal we won't have too many early games this season (for the squad, but more for my sake! :D)
In that case you get an extra day to recuperate or is that just the UEFA cup? not sure! I agree that is a ridiculous amount of games to be played at lunchtime though, but your opposition has that same problem therefore it should even itself out meaning you won't lose touch with the other teams you mentioned

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:08 pm

boltonboris wrote:In that case you get an extra day to recuperate or is that just the UEFA cup? not sure! I agree that is a ridiculous amount of games to be played at lunchtime though, but your opposition has that same problem therefore it should even itself out meaning you won't lose touch with the other teams you mentioned
I was talking more about the internationals having fixtures midweek over in countries like Israel and Russia, but it's equally valid for the Champions League.

The other clubs we're competing with (Arsenal, Chelsea, United) don't have the same problem, as they are by and large getting their games 24 hours later, which is the point that Rafa's getting at. The clubs we are playing aren't disadvantaged, as the vast majority of their players aren't reporting for international duty during the week/playing in the Champions League.

Bring back 10 games kicking off at 3pm on a Saturday, I say, and feck this stupid kick-off time malarky right off.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:10 pm

blurred wrote:
boltonboris wrote:In that case you get an extra day to recuperate or is that just the UEFA cup? not sure! I agree that is a ridiculous amount of games to be played at lunchtime though, but your opposition has that same problem therefore it should even itself out meaning you won't lose touch with the other teams you mentioned
I was talking more about the internationals having fixtures midweek over in countries like Israel and Russia, but it's equally valid for the Champions League.

The other clubs we're competing with (Arsenal, Chelsea, United) don't have the same problem, as they are by and large getting their games 24 hours later, which is the point that Rafa's getting at. The clubs we are playing aren't disadvantaged, as the vast majority of their players aren't reporting for international duty during the week/playing in the Champions League.

Bring back 10 games kicking off at 3pm on a Saturday, I say, and feck this stupid kick-off time malarky right off.
And watch all the best players going to Spain / Italy - 'For the money'

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:26 pm

Just read on BBC that Lampard is playing on with a broken toe! But yet Gerrard can't -

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:55 pm

Why would Benitez think that the Prem regards signed agreements as important

Just go ask Egghead about what they are worth
Sto ut Serviam

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:02 pm

boltonboris wrote:Just read on BBC that Lampard is playing on with a broken toe! But yet Gerrard can't -
Gerrard can, had no problem setting up our goal at the weekend, for instance; he just doesn't want to :D

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:19 pm

Easy to sign Tevez?!!?!?
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:25 pm

Looking at this year's fixtures, we have 4 games away from home after international breaks, all of which are 12.45 kick offs. They include three of our longest away trips of the year, and our derby.

After August internationals, we are away at 12.45 Saturday to Sunderland.

After September qualifers we are away at 12.45 Saturday to Portsmouth

After October qualifiers we are away at 12.45 Saturday to Everton.

After November qualifiers we are away at 12.45 Saturday to Newcastle.

That's just shite.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:27 pm

Aye, but I'm still not gonna change the thread title! :mrgreen:
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:03 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:Aye, but I'm still not gonna change the thread title! :mrgreen:
Wouldn't expect you to

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:15 pm

Athers wrote:Easy to sign Tevez?!!?!?
Amongst a mountain of gibberish, that was the pinnacle. It appears Rafa is becoming aclimatised as a Scouser. What a load of moaning blinkered nonsense.
The 29-year-old was distraught following yesterday’s verdict, but his appeal will be heard by a new committee.
..so distaught he signs for Real Madrid the next day :lol:

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm

blurred wrote:Looking at this year's fixtures, we have 4 games away from home after international breaks, all of which are 12.45 kick offs. They include three of our longest away trips of the year, and our derby.

After August internationals, we are away at 12.45 Saturday to Sunderland.

After September qualifers we are away at 12.45 Saturday to Portsmouth

After October qualifiers we are away at 12.45 Saturday to Everton.

After November qualifiers we are away at 12.45 Saturday to Newcastle.

That's just shite.
aye 40 mins in a private jet will really take it out of the players
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:33 pm

communistworkethic wrote:aye 40 mins in a private jet will really take it out of the players
It's more about the preparation time/rest than the travel, as well you know :roll:

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:57 pm

and if they'd played in Newcastle midweek, it'd been how different? What's the longest flight they'll have 4 hours? 4 hours in first class after a night in a 5 star hotel, aye no rest at all that is it?
Fecking mollycoddled softarses

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:01 pm

communistworkethic wrote:Fecking mollycoddled softarses
With that I don't disagree
communistworkethic wrote:and if they'd played in Newcastle midweek, it'd been how different? What's the longest flight they'll have 4 hours? 4 hours in first class after a night in a 5 star hotel, aye no rest at all that is it?
The point they're making is that Liverpool are habitually being singled out for these early kick offs after international duty, whereas our competitors are having the advantage of another days' rest/preparation for their games.

With England/Spain/Whoever players away for international duty, they return on Thursday and won't train, especially if they're returning from abroad. If the players are travelling on Friday for a game at Saturday noon, then there's only the couple of hours preparation for the game ahead that can be done, allied to the fact that there's less of a rest period. That's what Benitez was moaning about, and I think 13 early league games last year and 4 early games after each of the international breaks this year proves he's got something to complain about.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:04 pm

do I hear a case of "look at us we're victims"?

Tell us who sets the 12.45 Saturday kick off, is it the premier league or Sky?

Aye, one minute you want more of the TV money the next you whine that you're bieng oppressed.

change the fecking record. If you've got lots of fixtures that's your own fault - victims (you'll like that) of your own success, it's up to the club to have a squad to cope with that.

stop fecking whining, you're not even scouse!

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:19 pm

blurred wrote:
communistworkethic wrote:aye 40 mins in a private jet will really take it out of the players
It's more about the preparation time/rest than the travel, as well you know :roll:
if you read nobby's columns he usually has a kip til about midday on a 3pm start, so you're not missing out any prep time. there's an argument to say that if you're playing away, and staying away then it's better to just get up, have your fry up and play

has to be said though, if I was the FA, and I wanted to guarantee that those Liverpool lot didn't win the title I'd do everything in my power to make sure they had the early kick offs after international breaks :roll: - though I'd prob get refs to give dodgy penalties as well