Lee Hughes

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Should he be allowed to continue his career?

Why not? Lad's served his time
78%
Should he balls. Think of the victim's family
22%

Total votes: 27

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Lee Hughes

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:47 pm

anyone catch his press conference earlier? given a torrid time by reporters - though they did themselves no credit by continually asking him if he'd converted to islam, which he seemed to know nothing about

the guy did a terrible thing of that I don't doubt, but this is Brown's Britain. The 21st Century, not the 1st. The guy has served his time and now has to get on with his life. He is very lucky that he can continue his career, but the media were suggesting he shouldn't have had that chance

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:05 pm

The crime he commited was awful but he has served his time. Let him get on with it. What's the point of vilifying someone for the rest of their lives. Agreed, he is lucky to have a career to go to. Any mosques in Oldham?
"Don't like modern bands. Topman music, innit?"

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:21 pm

I agree that he deserves a chance to redeem himself, but I read how much of what he said was about him and not the victim's family (that is, a lot to very little). Like it or not, there are kids without a father because of Lee Hughes.

A car is still a weapon with a tosser controlling it, much the same as a gun...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:27 pm

I think that the real gripe here is the length of the sentence. The guy has taken another man's life whilst commiting a criminal act and has only served three years. That said, he has served what was handed down to him and having done that should be allowed to carry on his trade, despite the fact that had the punishment actually fitted the crime then he'd have been far too old to have played again once he came out.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:51 pm

what are people suggesting - no sorry you can't continue in your career as a footballer, you'll have to go and retrain as a plumber? Or that he's just not allowed to ever have a job again?

What good does it serve his victim's family that Lee Hughes is not in employment? He'll do more good to society, certainly financially, by playing football than possibly anything else he could do.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:39 pm

I don't know the full details of the crime. As I understand it he was sentenced to six years for dangerous driving causing death and leaving the scene of an accident, turning himself in after 36 hours. One may speculate that alcohol or other substance was involved. However, this was not a premeditated crime and, having served half his term, he was paroled (I don't know if there were restrictions). On the face of it I can see no reason why she should not be able to continue his career. We have had this argument before - that the justice system is too lenient, etc. etc. Change the law then, build more jails if you must, but don't deny people who have served their time the opportunity to reintegrate into society - and, in the fullness of time, perhaps be a useful member of same. I did note that one of the victims said 'he should have served the full sentence' and 'I got no compensation'. Well, don't blame Hughes for problems with victims compensation.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:44 pm

Course he should be allowed to carry on.

What happened is bad, but say for sake of arguement it happened to me, I wouldn't be told, nah feck off you cannot be an accountant.

Done the time
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:47 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote:Course he should be allowed to carry on.

What happened is bad, but say for sake of arguement it happened to me, I wouldn't be told, nah feck off you cannot be an accountant.

Done the time
Exactly. If people want to gripe they should be doing it to the Government regarding the judicial system that is currently in place. S'not Hughes' fault his sentence was light.
Smarties have answers.....

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:00 pm

I agree with everything in this thread, it's clear what he did was horrible, but he's served time.

Does make things a tad awkward when he scores though.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:13 pm

he'll be bobbins ..

he werent that good anyway ..

and its 3-4 years later ..

i like how he had no answer to the "children look up to footballers , should they look up to you?" or whatever it was .. the silence seemed aeons long before oldham pr spinner jumped in with a "diverting it something else slightly" type statement ..

oj simpson will be being signed up next !

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:52 pm

communistworkethic wrote:what are people suggesting - no sorry you can't continue in your career as a footballer, you'll have to go and retrain as a plumber? Or that he's just not allowed to ever have a job again?

What good does it serve his victim's family that Lee Hughes is not in employment? He'll do more good to society, certainly financially, by playing football than possibly anything else he could do.
it isn't clear what the journos alternative is. they just don't see that he should be able to continue his career. that seemed to be the only point they had to make.

Hughes was quick to reiterate time and again that he will be doing his upmost to stop other people from getting into the situation.

as for kid looking up to footballers how about the footballer that made a horrible mistake, took his punishment on the chin and was brave enough to step back into the limelight week in week out and try to enojy what he loves most again.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:21 pm

it could be assumed that:

didnt he run off because he was frightened of getting his licence suspended for drunk driving (and possibly so he could sober up 'getting rid' of any evidence) , but the guy dying got in the 'way' ?

thats one way of interpreting it ..

footballers + driving cars = NO

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:19 am

I think that he should be able to carry on with his career, I just don't think that he has served enough time considering he killed somebody and the way that came about.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:58 am

He's served his sentence. Let him get on with it.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Luna
Promising
Promising

Post by Luna » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:27 pm

I thought playing for Oldham was his punishment.