Women's World Cup

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:55 am

Batman wrote:The Brazilian women's team were pretty talented, and fit as fook
Clean shaven too.
Businesswoman of the year.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:32 am

aye, very neat round the box
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

trotter58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by trotter58 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:20 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
Clean shaven too.
Are you blind?! They're the biggest bunch of mingers ever to set foot on a football pitch... and i'm including the Leed's team of the 1970's!

trotter58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by trotter58 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:24 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:I don't quite follow this, T58.
They are not as strong as men, cannot run as fast as men, cannot jump as high as men, and cannot kick as far as men. Most of them are amateurs or at best semi-pro. They don't train as as long as men, have as good coaching as men, play as often as men, or play as good opposition as men. Why in the name of Edson Arantes do Nascimento would we expect them to be as skillful as men?
But speed and stength are not really factors when it comes to controlling a ball and playing a pass. Most of the teams are made up of professionals but even at semi-pro level, goalkeepers should be able to catch a ball!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:24 pm

trotter58 wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:
Clean shaven too.
Are you blind?! They're the biggest bunch of mingers ever to set foot on a football pitch... and i'm including the Leed's team of the 1970's!
You've nailed your colours to the most there T58... :D

Meanwhile, back on the pitch, the Argentina keeper's having a mare again... thankfully...

trotter58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by trotter58 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:25 pm

England 2 Argentina 0 after 10 minutes and if anyone has missed the goals then make sure you catch them on the highlights tonight. Pure comedy gold!

trotter58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by trotter58 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:47 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Meanwhile, back on the pitch, the Argentina keeper's having a mare again... thankfully...
To be fair the first was down to the centre half inexplicably heading it past her with no England player in sight but as for the second, it was a TACKLE by an England player outside the box that somehow found it's way into the net! Hilarious!

Credit to the Chinese for turning out in numbers and supporting this but seriously, is it really worth the cash that FIFA are pumping into it? Half the teams wouldn't look out of place on the local park! World Cup my arse.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:59 pm

trotter58 wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Meanwhile, back on the pitch, the Argentina keeper's having a mare again... thankfully...
To be fair the first was down to the centre half inexplicably heading it past her with no England player in sight but as for the second, it was a TACKLE by an England player outside the box that somehow found it's way into the net! Hilarious!
A fair summation; the first looped over her like Da Silva's for Croatia over Paul Robinson, while the second was indeed a side-footed block tackle from 30 yards which she somehow let under her body. We're wondering whether it's some kind of Care in the Community thing, and also wondering quite how desperately bad the second-string keeper must be.
trotter58 wrote:Credit to the Chinese for turning out in numbers and supporting this but seriously, is it really worth the cash that FIFA are pumping into it? Half the teams wouldn't look out of place on the local park! World Cup my arse.
How much are FIFA pumping in? Is it a loss-making exercise? And whatever the standard, it's a World Cup, as it's the best the game has to offer. Women's football is developing but it's still as schismatic as it has been for a decade: while there's some good attacking play on display - Kelly Smith was excellent against the Germans - the defending is often amateurish and the goalkeeping embarassing.

Hang on: potentially excellent attacking play... amateurish defending... where have I seen that before?

trotter58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by trotter58 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:06 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:And whatever the standard, it's a World Cup, as it's the best the game has to offer. Women's football is developing but it's still as schismatic as it has been for a decade: while there's some good attacking play on display - Kelly Smith was excellent against the Germans - the defending is often amateurish and the goalkeeping embarassing.
Fair point but i would question whether the women's game is really improving. I watched the last World Cup which was held in England and the standard doesn't seem that much better.

Having said that, it's a shame that Japan look like they're going out because from what i've seen they're one of the best teams in the tournament in terms of ability, far better than England. Unfortunately they're also midgets and are getting steam-rollered by the German's at the moment. But what a keeper! She puts the rest of them to shame! Flinging herself around the goal like a nutter!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:22 pm

trotter58 wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:And whatever the standard, it's a World Cup, as it's the best the game has to offer. Women's football is developing but it's still as schismatic as it has been for a decade: while there's some good attacking play on display - Kelly Smith was excellent against the Germans - the defending is often amateurish and the goalkeeping embarassing.
Fair point but i would question whether the women's game is really improving. I watched the last World Cup which was held in England and the standard doesn't seem that much better.
Twas the Euros, fella. This is the first World Cup since 2003, which was in the US of A (after it was moved from China because of the SARS scare - what happened to that panic?). However, that only reinforces your point - these are the best teams in the world, not the continent. I'd say it's because countries are developing their women's games at different rates, which leaves some countries streets behind others. A bit like, say, ensuring the top four in the league gain constant entry to a lucrative pan-European competition, thus strengthening their grip on those places forever more. Like, say, the Premiership.
trotter58 wrote:Having said that, it's a shame that Japan look like they're going out because from what i've seen they're one of the best teams in the tournament in terms of ability, far better than England. Unfortunately they're also midgets and are getting steam-rollered by the German's at the moment. But what a keeper! She puts the rest of them to shame! Flinging herself around the goal like a nutter!
Should get a lucrative move soon then, they're in short supply.

4-1 to England now. Kelly Smith, after Argentina got a goal back when the own-goaler banged in yet another free-kick.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:41 pm

5-1 and England start cheating, I reckon the ref will notice before long.....
bbc wrote:1435: It's time for a rare luxury England rarely get at big tournaments as Hope Powell brings on two of her main stars in Kelly Smith and Eniola Aluko and sends on Jodie Handley and Vicky Exley.

1433: GOAL England 5-1 Argentina
Rachel Yankey cuts in on her favoured left-foot and curls a low shot on goal. Argentina keeper Romina Ferro can only block it and Kelly Smith races on to the rebound and powers it in.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

trotter58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by trotter58 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:52 pm

England 6 Argentina 1! England through to the Quarter-Finals which will take place on Saturday lunchtime (live on BBC) Worth watching if only to see the spectacular mullet and pigtails combination sported by our number 15. Argentina were so bad they wouldn't look out of place in the Scottish Pub League.

Meanwhile Japan are out. Real shame as they were a genuinely good team and the only team which looked capable of the sort of passing and movement which you see in the men's game. Unfortunately they were muscled out of the tournament by the heffers of Germany and England.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:34 pm

It's alright for daytime TV, at least there's no cheating and the players have genuine pride in appearing for their country. That doesn't make up for the lack of skill on show but the goalkeeping is most amusing, it's nearly as much comedy as the African Nation's Cup.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

trotter58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by trotter58 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:50 pm

Athers wrote:at least there's no cheating and the players have genuine pride in appearing for their country.
I'd agree with that. One of the best aspects of the competition is that there are hardly any stoppages because the players just get on with the game. I haven't seen anyone booked yet for arguing with the ref, or time-wasting, etc. Although some of the haircuts really do merit an automatic yellow card and in the case of England's number 15, a straight red.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:51 pm

trotter58 wrote: Argentina were so bad they wouldn't look out of place in the Scottish Pub League.
You being such an authority would know that of course? Stick to womens football, seems you've found your level you fanny. :roll:

trotter58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by trotter58 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:55 pm

fatshaft wrote:
trotter58 wrote: Argentina were so bad they wouldn't look out of place in the Scottish Pub League.
You being such an authority would know that of course? Stick to womens football, seems you've found your level you fanny. :roll:
Right on cue.

No surprise that the Scottish women's team didn't qualify. Obviously living down to the fine traditions of their male counterparts.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:42 pm

trotter58 wrote:
fatshaft wrote:
Right on cue.

No surprise that the Scottish women's team didn't qualify. Obviously living down to the fine traditions of their male counterparts.
Knock it off, you two - I've had my disagreements with both of you but there's a difference between discussion and name-calling...

trotter58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by trotter58 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:34 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Knock it off, you two - I've had my disagreements with both of you but there's a difference between discussion and name-calling...
I think you'll find that we were discussing the Women's World Cup until Fathead arrived with a chip on his shoulder and nothing much to contribute as per usual.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:39 pm

How shxt is the England number nine? I mean not just bad, fxcking terrible! She plays like a 12 year old boy in the school playground ffs. I watched the England/Japan game and thought the same then (missing an open net didn't help) and everytime she shoots she toe bungs it and even then it dribbles into the keepers hands.

Surely there's better on the bench then her, she looked like she should be playing for the Argies.
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

trotter58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by trotter58 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:46 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:How shxt is the England number nine? I mean not just bad, fxcking terrible! She plays like a 12 year old boy in the school playground ffs. I watched the England/Japan game and thought the same then (missing an open net didn't help) and everytime she shoots she toe bungs it and even then it dribbles into the keepers hands.

Surely there's better on the bench then her, she looked like she should be playing for the Argies.
Someone almost hit the corner flag from inside the six yard box in the game this afternoon! Don't know if it was the same player. I'm pretty disappointed with the standard of the England team. i would have expected them to be much better considering they're all playing for teams which are affiliated to professional clubs.
Last edited by trotter58 on Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.