And Engerlund?

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

And Engerlund?

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:13 pm

3-0 (and it might sound pessimistic) but a given similar result in Moscow will be a different samovar of tea. Had their perfectly legitimate goal stood it might have been a much closer result. The Russian passing game was excellent and their forwards ran rings round our defence around the box. We played well enough in parts but Cashley was left floundering too often and Ferdinands positional play baffles me.

Barry had another blinder and Gary Neville will struggle to get his place back from a much faster Richards. Robinson did little wrong and made a couple of good saves and Terry was solid as usual. Heskey got little change from their central defender at first but improved as he went on. Wright Phillips never stopped running and linked well with Richards but the Russian defenders were far better than the Israelis. Owen was sharp and took his goals wellbut he, Joe Cole and Gerrard were guilty of some bad passing when in good positions. We played well against a good side but we need onwards and upwards from here. Ferdinand scoring from inside their box and Wright Phillips feeding Crouch down the wing were tactically errors although the goal was welcome. All in all, a good result........but, for me, some questions still remain. We'll play even better sides and if Russia had been able to finish what they started.....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:19 pm

I watched the Scotland game instead. Far more interesting,

Nico looked poor, but well done Sweaty Socks.

Saw the England goals, each one more due to bad defending than anything else - though Owen's finish for no.2 was good.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: And Engerlund?

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:39 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:3-0 (and it might sound pessimistic) but a given similar result in Moscow will be a different samovar of tea. Had their perfectly legitimate goal stood it might have been a much closer result. The Russian passing game was excellent and their forwards ran rings round our defence around the box. We played well enough in parts but Cashley was left floundering too often and Ferdinands positional play baffles me.

Barry had another blinder and Gary Neville will struggle to get his place back from a much faster Richards. Robinson did little wrong and made a couple of good saves and Terry was solid as usual. Heskey got little change from their central defender at first but improved as he went on. Wright Phillips never stopped running and linked well with Richards but the Russian defenders were far better than the Israelis. Owen was sharp and took his goals wellbut he, Joe Cole and Gerrard were guilty of some bad passing when in good positions. We played well against a good side but we need onwards and upwards from here. Ferdinand scoring from inside their box and Wright Phillips feeding Crouch down the wing were tactically errors although the goal was welcome. All in all, a good result........but, for me, some questions still remain. We'll play even better sides and if Russia had been able to finish what they started.....

May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:47 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:3-0 (and it might sound pessimistic) but a given similar result in Moscow will be a different samovar of tea. Had their perfectly legitimate goal stood it might have been a much closer result. The Russian passing game was excellent and their forwards ran rings round our defence around the box. We played well enough in parts but Cashley was left floundering too often and Ferdinands positional play baffles me.

Er yes, very enlightening comment Bruce. I do beg your pardon for daring to have a view.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:15 am

Worst player on the pitch - Trashley Cole, Best - Barry, everywhere that matterd.

Frogs v Jocks, Anelka played way too deep for France almost central midfield, the crazy white haired shock mop must be barking!!
Bloody disgrace letting the Jocks win they'll be singing songs about this for the next 100 years.

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:43 am

I thought Ferdinand was worse, so many lapses in concentration.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:35 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Had their perfectly legitimate goal stood it might have been a much closer result.
D'you think it was a legitimate goal? I thought it was handball.. :?

Mind you, I did have my white tinted glasses on. (this caused me much confusion for the first 20 minutes of the game because I'd accidentally put my BWFC white tinted glasses on and spent all the time screaming at the telly that we weren't getting any refereeing decisions and that we should drop Nolan)

As a slight aside, did anyone else notice that Motson kept praising the 'excellent' long throw-in tactics that England had adopted. Funny that.
Businesswoman of the year.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:09 am

hoboh2o wrote:Worst player on the pitch - Trashley Cole, Best - Barry, everywhere that matterd.

Frogs v Jocks, Anelka played way too deep for France almost central midfield, the crazy white haired shock mop must be barking!!
Bloody disgrace letting the Jocks win they'll be singing songs about this for the next 100 years.
NAh, we're not English. However we've now had two of our top 4 all time results in this campaign alone by beating the French, simply astonishing.

As for Anelka, was just commenting at work that with him and Trezuguet playing, they should have been hammering at that old past it useless nice person Weir, instead the guy had a walk in the park. Gordon, for all the possession the French had, only had two genuine saves of quality in the game.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:12 am

CrazyHorse wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Had their perfectly legitimate goal stood it might have been a much closer result.
D'you think it was a legitimate goal? I thought it was handball.. :?
Despite the predicatbly useless commentary from Motson & Lawro claiming it was a clear hand ball, it clearly was a perfectly good goal. That decision may just have got you to the finals.
CrazyHorse wrote:As a slight aside, did anyone else notice that Motson kept praising the 'excellent' long throw-in tactics that England had adopted. Funny that.
There is nothing funny about Motty, why is he the Beeb's first choice commentator, he is absolute pants?
Last edited by fatshaft on Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:24 am

fatshaft wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:t;]As a slight aside, did anyone else notice that Motson kept praising the 'excellent' long throw-in tactics that England had adopted. Funny that.
There is nothing funny about Motty, why is he the Beeb's first choice commentator, he is absolute pants?
Er, Tango didn't say anything of the sort. It was the Hoss (but I agree with him anyway) :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:54 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Er yes, very enlightening comment Bruce. I do beg your pardon for daring to have a view.
And I'm simply giving you my view on your view, or is there a cut-off point? I think you must've watched a different game, fella. Gary Neville will struggle to get his place back from Richards? Clearly you must be one of these that rated Bernard Mendy!
May the bridges I burn light your way

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:55 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
fatshaft wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:t;]As a slight aside, did anyone else notice that Motson kept praising the 'excellent' long throw-in tactics that England had adopted. Funny that.
Er, Tango didn't say anything of the sort. It was the Hoss (but I agree with him anyway) :D
I don't know what you're talking about Tango? :wink2:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:00 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
And I'm simply giving you my view on your view, or is there a cut-off point? I think you must've watched a different game, fella. Gary Neville will struggle to get his place back from Richards? Clearly you must be one of these that rated Bernard Mendy!
Yes, I think I must have done.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:20 pm

hoboh2o wrote:Anelka played way too deep for France almost central midfield, the crazy white haired shock mop must be barking!!
Do you mean Raymond "Bolton is the arsehole of the universe" Domenech? What a lovely, lovely turn of events for that, well, frankly, c*nt.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:25 pm

fatshaft wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
fatshaft wrote:
I don't know what you're talking about Tango? :wink2:
That wink has decidedly gay overtones, whilst mine is decidedly straight. :wink:

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:45 pm

:stalker:

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:58 pm

It's been a long, long time since I've seen an England team pass the ball so well and confidently as they did in the first half (twas almost like watching Brazil!) This was mostly due to the inclusion of Barry Gerrard and Heskey (who had a superb match winning absolutely everything in the air and was very unlucky not to score!) the three of them combined so well you would have thought they had played in the same club team for years. The same could be said for Heskey and Owen who seemed to share the same mind.

And well done to Mclaren for picking the best possible team rather then the best eleven players.

There yaaar, credit when and were its due.

Robinson - 7 Had no chance with the Russians disallowed goal, but did everything else well.

Richards - 6 Caught up field far to many times, and with SWP's not getting back as much as he did the other day we were caught short down the left time and time again, especially at the start of the second half. Needs to be told its defence first, attack second.

Ferdinand - 7 Left his man multiple times. Looked like he had never played with Terry at times. His well taken goal bumped him from a 6 to a 7.

Terry - 8 Does exactly what it says on the tin! No nonsense approach and tackles like a tank at times. It'll take an SAS assault operation to get the band of his arm! There is nothing I like to see more from an England player then true English bulldog spirit, and he has it in abundance.

Cole A - 5 dogwxnk! Spent far too much time on his arse complaining. Was made to look amateurish by the Russians at the start of the second half. Just hasn't looked interested in the last two games. Get well soon Bridge!

Cole J - 7 Not as impactive as he was on Saturday, but did his bit in a much improved midfield. Unlucky not to score, and seems to have learned to stay on his feet and leave the diving to Gerrard.

Gerrard - 7 Not great, but not bad either. Could be worried about his toe, bless. Fluffed a very good chance but both his long and short passing was accurate.

Barry - 9 MOTM A managers wet dream. Did everything right, give nothing away all night, got back to make multiple tackles and interceptions and along with Gerrard completely dominated the centre of midfield. The answer to the question 'can Gerrard and Lampard play together in the same team'

SWP - 7 Mr fifty pence head! Had a really good game on Saturday but wasn't as defensively sound, still worried the Russians every time he had the ball though.

Heskey - 8 I honestly didn't think he had as good a game on Saturday then most thought, but there was no denying that he was immense last night! Won everything in the air, but unlike Crouch give direction to the ball which Owen lapped up. Wayne who?

Owen - 8 How do you define world class? Well, for a start it would have to be someone who can produce in the big games, and that's Owen all over! Didn't do a huge amount other then his two brilliantly taken goals, but what else do you want from your out and out striker? He'll have Fat Sam wondering about a possible phone call to Wigan come January.
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:17 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:

And well done to Mclaren for picking the best possible team rather then the best eleven players.

You can't really give him credit for picking a team that was dictated by injuries.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:18 pm

fatshaft wrote:

You can't really give him credit for picking a team that was dictated by injuries.
Too fookin right. Lets not be going soft now soldier.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:22 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:
fatshaft wrote:

Too fookin right. Lets not be going soft now soldier.
Oh don't get me wrong fella's, the nob still has to go! :mrgreen:

Is it me? Or is he actually trying to have to same hairstyle as Sven but goes to a really cheap barber shop?
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!