Scotlands Hopes

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

scottishlad
Hopeful
Hopeful

Scotlands Hopes

Post by scottishlad » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:56 pm

his may very well be from a Tennents ad, but its the most passionate thing I've read in a while. Bring on the Georgia!!

Hope is knowing that football fans, like the scarves we wear, are made to be lifted up.

Because our greatest glory consists not in falling, but in rising every time we fall. Confucius said that. Or was it Russell Anderson?

Like Hampdens fearsome roar, hope arouses a passion for the possible. It helps us achieve the unthinkable - Scotland 1 France 0

We can live 40 days without food, 3 days without water and 8 minutes without air. We can live 4 days in the Ukraine without changing our replica shirts. But we cannot live 1 second without hope.

Hope is not caring if we lose every game, as long as we top the group.

Hope is calculating that we only need 6 points from our last two games, provided the Faroes hold Italy and Ukraine beat France by 2 clear goals.

And hope is pricing flights from Glasgow to Zurich "just in case."

But most of all, hope is like a path in the country - there never was a path but when many of us walk the same ground, the path comes into exsistance.

This is the path we follow.

Wherever it takes us, whatever it takes us.

BRING IT ON....PROUD TO BE SCOTTISH

Edit+ The mighty hibees are doing good too!

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:05 pm

:vomit:

I'd hate the Scots if their women weren't so filthy. :twisted:
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:07 pm

My worry for you guys is, Scottishlad, that from a group that contains the previous two World Cup finalists and a quarter finalist that you now seem to expect to qualify. I hope that you do, fella. I really do, but you guys are now plucking out unlikely permutations. Steady on, eh? Oh, and the best of luck. :wink:
May the bridges I burn light your way

scottishlad
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by scottishlad » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:13 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:My worry for you guys is, Scottishlad, that from a group that contains the previous two World Cup finalists and a quarter finalist that you now seem to expect to qualify. I hope that you do, fella. I really do, but you guys are now plucking out unlikely permutations. Steady on, eh? Oh, and the best of luck. :wink:
This has been a good year for Scottish football maybe now a lot of English are starting to take notice that we are actually a force to be reckoned with? Domestically and on the European stage.Like i say top of group b.

If/when Scotland qualify it will be one of the greatest feats in European Championship history... on a par with Greece winning it last time i think. To come through a group with France, Italy, Ukraine... not to mention the bogey team (Faroes.. ) would be nothing short of phenomenal. If we get the right result on Wednesday just a point needed against Italy. Hope Faddy sticks another wonder strike.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:19 pm

I'm sorry, i'm not particularly arsed about the Scots, i'd quite like them to qualify. But to suggest that qualifying for a tournament, is in any way, shape or form comparable to Greece winning the entire thing is bollocks.

The only thing comparable to Greece winning the Euros from a Scottish point of view would be the Scots winning it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:20 pm

scottishlad wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:My worry for you guys is, Scottishlad, that from a group that contains the previous two World Cup finalists and a quarter finalist that you now seem to expect to qualify. I hope that you do, fella. I really do, but you guys are now plucking out unlikely permutations. Steady on, eh? Oh, and the best of luck. :wink:
This has been a good year for Scottish football maybe now a lot of English are starting to take notice that we are actually a force to be reckoned with? Domestically and on the European stage.Like i say top of group b.

If/when Scotland qualify it will be one of the greatest feats in European Championship history... on a par with Greece winning it last time i think. To come through a group with France, Italy, Ukraine... not to mention the bogey team (Faroes.. ) would be nothing short of phenomenal. If we get the right result on Wednesday just a point needed against Italy. Hope Faddy sticks another wonder strike.
Hope you qualify - but woah, steady on...how can qualifying be on a par with winning it? :-)

scottishlad
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by scottishlad » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:23 pm

Tombwfc wrote:I'm sorry, i'm not particularly arsed about the Scots, i'd quite like them to qualify. But to suggest that qualifying for a tournament, is in any way, shape or form comparable to Greece winning the entire thing is bollocks.

The only thing comparable to Greece winning the Euros from a Scottish point of view would be the Scots winning it.
Fair dooh's chief but for me personally what we have achieved thus far is well beyond expectations.Maybe Bolton should look at the scots and take a leaf out our book,if they are to stay up?I want bolton to stay up its my epl team.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:45 pm

From

we're on the march with allys army, to we want our money back in 2 easy games

Peru and Iran

Jocko, your boys took one helluva beating

! love Scotland

Always good for a major overhype followed by predictable non-achievement
Last edited by CAPSLOCK on Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sto ut Serviam

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:06 am

Aye, go for ut Scottishlad and good luck. I've many a good (and bad) memory of the Home internationals, always ding-dong with the auld enemy. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Batman

Post by Batman » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:47 am

I hope you go through, I've enjoyed watching your qualifying campaign ten times more than shitty, boring England.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:57 am

CAPSLOCK wrote:From

Peru and Iran

! love Scotland

You just described England

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:21 am

boltonboris wrote:

Peru and Iran

! love Scotland

English over hype; yeah, I'll go with that.
But non-achievement; I'm not having that - I'd say that getting to a final is classed as an achievement, never mind how far a team progresses. And on that front we do ok.
Businesswoman of the year.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:30 am

I'll try not to laugh when they fook it up against Georgia.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:38 am

CrazyHorse wrote:
boltonboris wrote:

Peru and Iran

! love Scotland

English over hype; yeah, I'll go with that.
But non-achievement; I'm not having that - I'd say that getting to a final is classed as an achievement, never mind how far a team progresses. And on that front we do ok.
But we keep hearing that if we don't win the world cup etc.. it's a failure, so if we have failed, that constitutes non-achievement in my book - I agree with you, but if the team keeps telling us how great thye are and they're all "world-class" shouldn't we be able to expect world-class results, ie; winning a major tournament?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:54 am

England have been quarter-finalists at the last three international tournaments. I'd say that's about right. Failing to get out of the group would be underachievement, while a semi-final spot would be greeted with the same fervour as a sailor on shore leave.

FWIW, good luck to Scotland. And not entirely to push Raymond Demonech's face into the cold, cold mud.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:57 am

I was with some Scots in the pub for the rugby vs. France.

They all had Tricolores painted on their cheeks.

Maybe I'm stupid for actually wanting Scotland to do well. :conf:
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:57 am

I want to see Scotland fail, I hate anybody who hates us

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:59 am

If you wish to be oppositional it winds 'em up even more when the English support them. They expect enmity. Don't sink to that level, it's as bad as Newcastle fans refusing bacon and Sunderland fans spitting on zebra crossings.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:00 am

so how far have England progressed in major tourmanents they entered in the last 10 years?

98 - last 16 v Argentina (pens)
00 - group stage
02 - quarter final v brazil
04 - quarter final v portugal (pens)
06 - quarter final v portugal (pens)

hardly the shittest performance and were it not for an inability to score from the spot it could've have been far better.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:10 am

The Scots irritate me.

Not their football team.

But some of their people.

They have a genuine chip on their shoulder. They "hate" the English. Why? I'd go as far to say that Scotland has some incredibly racist people living there, yet they are accepted.

Its fine to sing anti-English songs.

However, it isn't fine in England to sing anti-Scottish songs.

This is by no means a reflection of all Scottish people, but my experiences with Scots have not been entirely pleasant.