New England Manager

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:52 pm

Get Mike Bassett in. He wouldn't do any worse!

May the bridges I burn light your way

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:07 pm

is this the end?

my only friend, the end!

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:10 pm

He's on again...

" the conditions didn't help "

Aye cos we're right short on experience of playing in the rain .....

Don't let the door hit you in your spotty ginger arse on't way out..
Do the decent thing and fall on your own sword.. not hanging on for
' by mutual consent and compensation for the rest of your contract '
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

WhiteArmy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by WhiteArmy » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:14 pm

Batman wrote:Barwick should go too

and Prince William
:D

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:28 am

Megson for England

At least he would have got us a draw last night and we would be through!
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:24 am

Highly amusing comment by the Ingurlund fans on SSN last night

"the next manager should be someone English, like Martin O'Neill"

:lol:

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:19 am

why does the c*nt get a £2.5m pay off? after the sven debacle could they not write into his contract "if you do shit, we sack you"
i miss my targets. i get sacked. i annoy suppliers. i get sacked. macca fails to qualify... have a few mill lad

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:48 am

hisroyalgingerness wrote:why does the c*nt get a £2.5m pay off? after the sven debacle could they not write into his contract "if you do shit, we sack you"
i miss my targets. i get sacked. i annoy suppliers. i get sacked. macca fails to qualify... have a few mill lad
That came up on 5 live, and it's a great point, surely with such clealry defind bi-annual targets, that should be a natural fit for any International manager's contract, not just England. It was aprt of the reason Scotland took so long to sack the German, becasue they couldn't afford to get rid of him earlier, of course the hidden cost of that was slipping so far down the rankings we ended up in with the 4th seeds.

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:27 am

fatshaft wrote:
hisroyalgingerness wrote:why does the c*nt get a £2.5m pay off? after the sven debacle could they not write into his contract "if you do shit, we sack you"
That came up on 5 live, and it's a great point, surely with such clealry defind bi-annual targets, that should be a natural fit for any International manager's contract, not just England. It was aprt of the reason Scotland took so long to sack the German, becasue they couldn't afford to get rid of him earlier, of course the hidden cost of that was slipping so far down the rankings we ended up in with the 4th seeds.
\

Did that not do you a bit of a favour long term though? - root and branch you were forced to actually do summat about youth development aided I suppose by a drop in Tv revenue but you ended up with homegrown talent actually plying their trade in the home league and shock horror the mighty prem -

We keep arresting the slump halfway down and never actually reach the kind of bedrock that forces effective change and development.. scorched earth may be the way to go for long term success.
Meanwhile we appoint Barwick who choose Macrappen to find the next guy and the suits who gave him a four year deal and a 2 and half mill back end will appoint whoever he comes up with.. What is Barwicks qualification..

We need a credible football figure [ala Armfield] or possibly a team of such to speak to football people across the whole spectrum and arrive at the best .. but we won't and we'll carry on picking the best 11 instead of the best team getting caught between 4-4-2 english tempo or total football. instead we should be setting the entire system up to feed everything into the success of the National team. But when 75% of the total work force in the top league doesn't give a shit about England we'll always struggle...

and in the background people are calling for Shearer oh ffs..

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:35 am

how this Jimmy Armfield a credible football figure??
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:39 am

communistworkethic wrote:how this Jimmy Armfield a credible football figure??
When we were last this shite he was appointed to canvas footbll opinion and actually talk to the professionals..

As a result we ended up with Venables - and came within a nads of Euro 1996 -

I wasn't suggesting Armfield for now but a modern day equivalent ala Armfield in the Armfield model..

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:57 am

There are no serious British contenders for the next manager, and that is a really serious comment on the domestic game.

There are only about 50 England-qualified players playing in the Prem most weekends - and none of any note playing abroad. That is an even more serious comment on the domestic game.

There is a clear systemic failure and it needs to be faced and addressed. And perhaps it's clubs like ours that need to be doing this - since the wealthy clubs, under intense pressure, and run by foreign managers with no interest in england's international football, will buy everyone they need from abroad.

We also, of course, pick up as high proportion of foreign players. but should we, and do we need to?

I'm not a xenophobe, and not on any anti-foreign rant. It's money that is the reason for this sea-change in the personnel of the English game, not anything else. But its effects are being felt seriously now - five injuries in the first choice England squad and we have a defence that can't defend, and a one-pronged attack. The quality level is low, at best. The depth is is too shallow. Serious competition for places barely exists.

EC regulation on free movement of labour means that only an act of will can bring about a change, there's no imminent way of regulating our way out of this. I'm not optimistic.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:03 am

I think Sammy Lee would bring a lot to the role.

Beep! beep!

:crazy:
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:05 am

William the White wrote:There are no serious British contenders for the next manager, and that is a really serious comment on the domestic game.

There are only about 50 England-qualified players playing in the Prem most weekends - and none of any note playing abroad. That is an even more serious comment on the domestic game.

There is a clear systemic failure and it needs to be faced and addressed. And perhaps it's clubs like ours that need to be doing this - since the wealthy clubs, under intense pressure, and run by foreign managers with no interest in england's international football, will buy everyone they need from abroad.

We also, of course, pick up as high proportion of foreign players. but should we, and do we need to?

I'm not a xenophobe, and not on any anti-foreign rant. It's money that is the reason for this sea-change in the personnel of the English game, not anything else. But its effects are being felt seriously now - five injuries in the first choice England squad and we have a defence that can't defend, and a one-pronged attack. The quality level is low, at best. The depth is is too shallow. Serious competition for places barely exists.

EC regulation on free movement of labour means that only an act of will can bring about a change, there's no imminent way of regulating our way out of this. I'm not optimistic.
And how many players are in the England squad?

Only the very best English players make it in the premiership.

But only the very best players should play for England anyways.

How does it affect the national side that there aren't 200 average English players playing top flight football who'd never be selected for England anyways?

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:08 am

Some Tosser (Daily Mail guy I think) has just suggested putting Trevor Brooking in charge till after euro 2008 to "steady the ship" and give time to get the correct man in place !!!!!!!!!

I despair.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:11 am

knobpolisher wrote:Some Tosser (Daily Mail guy I think) has just suggested putting Trevor Brooking in charge till after euro 2008 to "steady the ship" and give time to get the correct man in place !!!!!!!!!

I despair.
The way forward! Get more Hammers in the side! After all, they won the World Cup in 1966.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:25 am

William the White wrote:There are no serious British contenders for the next manager, and that is a really serious comment on the domestic game.

This excuse just doesn't hold water. We're we winning things left right and centre in the 80s when there were little to none foreigners in the league? No.

Having a league filled with mediocre players will do nothing for anybody. You'll note that Lescott, Campbell and Carson play week in week out for their clubs, and they weren't good enough last night. Thats not to do with foreign players.

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:25 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

And how many players are in the England squad? 25?

Only the very best English players make it in the premiership. Nicky Hunt?

But only the very best players should play for England anyways. No only the best team should - Scotland aren't better players but they're a better team. No doubt Lampard and Gerard are top quality individuals just no feckin use as a pair

How does it affect the national side that there aren't 200 average English players playing top flight football who'd never be selected for England anyways?
Except that how do average young players break through how does depth for the national team develop if your second choice international players Bridge - Crouch - Bent and some 1st choices like Cole and Wright Phillips are not garaunteed first choices at club level you end up with a Full back 'having one' in a crucial game when he's played about a dozen club games in 2 years.. No one is suggesting Henri Teves fabregas etc are bad for England or stifle talent .. but is there really no one better homegrown than Meite - Traore - or any number of average journeyman [cheaper] foreigners who have come and gone in 10 years of the prem contributed little pocketed the cash and possibly arrested the development and experience of potentially better hiome grown talent.?

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:32 am

Wasn't there a BBC report on foreigners that attempted to show that we've got far more than any other succesful nations. But infact showed us to have roughly the same amount as the Germans? Yes, the Germans who invairably qualify and reach the latter stages of major tournaments.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:35 am

Tombwfc wrote:Wasn't there a BBC report on foreigners that attempted to show that we've got far more than any other succesful nations. But infact showed us to have roughly the same amount as the Germans? Yes, the Germans who invairably qualify and reach the latter stages of major tournaments.
The English invariably qualify, too. Or at least they do when they have a competent manager, something they've lacked for the last couple of tournaments they've failed to qualify for (McLaren, Taylor, I'm looking at you). Under Sven the qualification was virtually guaranteed, because he knew what he was doing. It's amazing that in the space of a year or so McLaren's shown how easy a job it should be, and how comically bad at it he is. Despite losing away to Croatia, Russia and drawing at home to Macedonia we still only needed a draw from our last game. How could it be any simpler?