ALLARDYCE SACKED

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Penny
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Penny » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:21 am

Perhaps this does show that Allardyce wasn't solely responsible for the success at Bolton and that the people behind the scenes scouts, coaches even old Garty had some involvement as well. This season for us has really been a continuation of the last 4 or 5 months of Allardyces reign we haven't yet been able to halt the slide would we with Sam in charge somehow I doubt it .

It was his chance of managing a big club and he has failed miserably. Any sympathy from me ? no I am afraid not if he had left us with any class then I would have wished him the best but he didn't.

Sometimes you get a player who has his best period at a club and never reproduces the same form anywhere else (John McGinley springs to mind) lets hope Sam is the equivalient as a manager and is now destined to be remembered as an overrated manager.

Even by the barcodes ridiculous standards he must be one of the shortest serving managers on record and even Souness lasted 3 times as long as he did.

As they say what goes around comes around he won't be getting any sympathy from me. :evil:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:24 am

FaninOz wrote:Sam has shown at Newcastle that his one dimensional approach to football and lack of flexability in his tactical thinking just doesn't work. It did for a while at Bolton but as soon as the other teams cottoned on as to how to play against such tactics, and even copied it in some instances, his approach doesn't work anymore. We are seeing the aftermath of Sam's approach at Bolton and are suffering for it.

He never had a chance at Newcastle as the fans, rightly or wrongly, would not put up with his style of play, I doubt whether his players would either. Hence dressingroom problems, fan unreal expectations and some very poor performances and results from his team meant he had to go. The fact that he inherited a team that wasn't good enough for the top 10 and brought in new players who were also not good enough is irelevant in these days of high expectations.

Sam did well for us as he made us into a team difficult to beat but he doesn't appear to understand the need for flair in and entertainment by his teams. He is blinkered in his thinking and approach to tactics, team selection and substitutions. So no I would not want him back at Bolton.

Am I glad that he has been sacked, in a word yes. His "I'm taking a rest from football and then turning up at Newcastle 3 weeks later" and his stealing many of our backroom staff is unforgivable in my eyes. He's also an arrogant person who never seemed to respect the fans, his treatment of Bolton fans in Thailand was disgusting.

However, he will be laughing all the way to the bank with a 4mil payout from his contract, so I don't feel sorry for him. But I believe that he will find it more difficult to get a job in a top Club than he perhaps thinks, so we may have seen the last of him except as a synical BBC or Sky "expert".

Couldn't happen to a "nicer" man!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I've never read such a load of old tripe in my life.

Sam didn't "invent" a way of playing. He wasn't one dimensional. His tactics broadly speaking worked. 4 consecutive top 10 finishes.

However, for the last two years at Bolton he did lose interest (the England job saw to that) and seemed to lose his relationship with the fans.

I don't think that anyone would have criticised his style had he kept up the form we had in the first half of the season last time, BUT he didn't seem to have his heart in it anymore and when we lost a few games and the champs league became more a distant possibility than a real hope I think he had no interest.

But to say that all of a sudden teams "knew how to play us" is just plain daft. The way we played, and lets face it it was an ever evolving thing, worked from the early days with Ricketts pace up front, to Okocha, to Anelka, we had a basic way of playing that we tweaked depending on the players we had.

I wouldn't have the Allardyce of now back as I think his desire has gone. But if we could have the one of pre UEFA cup qualification (which of course is impossible), then yes I'd have him back.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:54 am

FaninOz wrote:... he will find it more difficult to get a job in a top Club than he perhaps thinks, so we may have seen the last of him except as a cynical BBC or Sky "expert".
Doubt that will be on the BBC ... imagine him being a pundit, but sending a colleague on to speak for him !!

So, it's Sky or Santana, but yes, he will turn up, for a while.

Any club of the "sleeping giant" type will look toward him doing a 'Bolton'. However,I suspect he's now got delusions of granduer and so a Wolves or a Crystal Palace will offer his ego nothing. Indeed, would he want all the shite that would mean ? Also, would any 'medium' sized club stand the scale of the paraphanalia which he built up at Bolton ?

If I recall, his original intent was to see out the 10yrs of his Bolton contract & then retire. Well, he's only 12m off that, he'll clearly never get the England job and he won't get the Stretford job which he quite fancied.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:13 am

Same topic, but separate line ...

It was clear that he was in some trouble, all season long that's been obvious. The poor results, the lack of 'style' to his tactics, the fans on his case, the poor buys, the playing players out of position. Senior players questioning his tactics. The fact that he was brought in by the previous regime. etc., etc.

During November & December the pressure built and Ashley & Mort noticably did not kill the rumours. Then, since the turn of the year there had been a notable change of communications from the club owners to quash the building stories.

Only yesterday at noon Allardyce gave a press conference covering 'things in general' and talked, with an eye to the future, about this weekends game, the African Nations players and transfer targets.

4 hours later the club announce, via their web-site that he was gone.

What the fck happened in the meanwhile ?

My guess is that Ashley told him his extra budget was limited and that he had to sell before he bought ... . He possibly even rejected a couple of names, especially if he pointed out what a roaring success he's been with big money so far. BFSA was then stupid enough to challenge him & probably said something along the lines of "if you don't back me I'll resign" an offer which almost saw his wrist be snapped off ... and out he went with the final screamed cry from Ashley's office of "... & you can take Joey Barton with you !! "
Last edited by bobo the clown on Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:35 am

Had to laugh at a quote in the Guardian today:

"Sam Allardyce isn't thick-skinned enough to take on a club like Newcastle"

Journalist...............????? Why, Louise Taylor, of course.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:52 am

bobo the clown wrote: 4 hours later the club announce, via their web-site that he was gone.

What the fck happened in the meanwhile ?

My guess is that Ashley told him his extra budget was limited and that he had to sell before he bought ... . He possibly even rejected a couple of names, especially if he pointed out what a roaring success he's been with big money so far. BFSA was then stupid enough to challenge him & probably said something along the lines of "if you don't back me I'll resign" an offer which almost saw his wrist be snapped off ... and out he went with the final screamed cry from Ashley's office of "... & you can take Joey Barton with you !! "
Bobo, I don't think you're far wrong. The former player who I can't remember who was quoted last night said that something happened over transfer targets. Something went tits up very quickly for sure.

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:18 pm

Penny wrote:Perhaps this does show that Allardyce wasn't solely responsible for the success at Bolton and that the people behind the scenes scouts, coaches even old Garty had some involvement as well. This season for us has really been a continuation of the last 4 or 5 months of Allardyces reign we haven't yet been able to halt the slide would we with Sam in charge somehow I doubt it .
Agree with that. I reckon the retirement of chief scout Jack Chapman has a lot to do with the rubbish we've recruited lately. Cid and Michalik both on long deals? The fact it, that it's never just one man. There's a whole team of people, many of whom never get a mention, who are responsible for the running of a football club.

Liverpool had success under four different managers but it's notable that each time the boss man left, they either retired or had a spell out of football, leaving the backroom staff intact.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:22 pm

warthog wrote:
Penny wrote:Perhaps this does show that Allardyce wasn't solely responsible for the success at Bolton and that the people behind the scenes scouts, coaches even old Garty had some involvement as well. This season for us has really been a continuation of the last 4 or 5 months of Allardyces reign we haven't yet been able to halt the slide would we with Sam in charge somehow I doubt it .
Agree with that. I reckon the retirement of chief scout Jack Chapman has a lot to do with the rubbish we've recruited lately. Cid and Michalik both on long deals? The fact it, that it's never just one man. There's a whole team of people, many of whom never get a mention, who are responsible for the running of a football club.

Liverpool had success under four different managers but it's notable that each time the boss man left, they either retired or had a spell out of football, leaving the backroom staff intact.
At Bolton Allardyce ran the show how he wanted because he had unconditional support from the board and for certainly 5 seasons the fans.

That was never going to be the case at Newcastle and everything he did was scrutinised closely.

At Newcastle Sam announces a new fitness regime with new sports science staff etc, two weeks later Owen is injured and the "Geordie fans" are saying "what a waste of money all that fitness stuff" "pointless appointing those physios" etc etc etc.....

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:35 pm

Disappointed he’s been linked with a job already – The Rep of Ireland one. Any thoughts on where he’ll end up?
People will look on it one of two ways. 1 – caught up in politics, bearing in mind Ashley is “one of the army” and did not appoint Sam. Or 2 – can’t handle money and big name players.

Personally I reckon he’d end up at either a) the next Prem club who sacks someone. Boro probably. Or b) some “big club” in the championship like Wolves (local boy) who he has the prospect of not only getting promotion but being backed once he’s up there.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:37 pm

I've already predicted Boro too. I can't see that Southgate has long left up there now.
Businesswoman of the year.

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:41 pm

He'll end up as a pundit.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:42 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:Disappointed he’s been linked with a job already – The Rep of Ireland one. Any thoughts on where he’ll end up?
People will look on it one of two ways. 1 – caught up in politics, bearing in mind Ashley is “one of the army” and did not appoint Sam. Or 2 – can’t handle money and big name players.

Personally I reckon he’d end up at either a) the next Prem club who sacks someone. Boro probably. Or b) some “big club” in the championship like Wolves (local boy) who he has the prospect of not only getting promotion but being backed once he’s up there.
He has said he wants to get back into another management job.

I'm not so sure he will though.

The bigger clubs won't have him. The likes of Boro, Blackburn etc might, but then he won't be much better off than he was at us. Wolves might be an option but does he have the heart for another titanic 5 year battle?

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:47 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:I've already predicted Boro too. I can't see that Southgate has long left up there now.
he'd disappoint big mac. i can picture mclaren hanging around outside the ground, opening car doors for people and just being generally nice. a sparkle of white teeth against the gory mordor-like middlesborough background

i've just realised a nightmare scenrio. hughes has been linked with the job, which would mean..... please don't let that one come true

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:54 pm

According to the Evening Chronicle, Allardyce was sacked because despite Ashley, Mort, The Fans AND the players wanting to play a more attractive brand of football, Allardyce would not change, and kept talking about "winning ugly".

Apparently they'd had enough. Had little to do with new signings other than Ashley didn't trust Allardyce to spend the money.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:02 pm

they're stupid then, frankly. we went round in circles with that debate and i believe winning games mattered most.

he did say in his afternoon interview somert about not being able to beat man utd by passing it. smacks of souness when he got sacked after continually blaming results on injuries

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:03 pm

Newcastle have to be the biggest laughing stock around, they like to sign trophy players whos career goes quickly downhill, paying too much too, they hark on and on about the wonderful Keegan years and a player who is next to god to them who really won them nothing and only really went there towards the end of his career. They keep going on about wanting to play exciting attacking football and where has that ever got them (except giving away a lead in the premiership which was almost impossible to give away). Is this club the graveyard of any player and manager?

You have to laugh at them really.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:06 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:they're stupid then, frankly. we went round in circles with that debate and i believe winning games mattered most.

he did say in his afternoon interview somert about not being able to beat man utd by passing it. smacks of souness when he got sacked after continually blaming results on injuries
I agree. Winning is all that matters. I guess if Allardyce was winning he'd have been OK but I guess with results not being great, the quality of football was the deciding factor.

Its ridiculous really to sack a manager for his style of football. Sure sack em for results, but for style? Next it'll be them getting sacked for not picking the chairmans choice of first 11!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:12 pm

Tombwfc wrote:Oh Christ, apparantly some ITK on 606 reckons Allardyce is coming back as Chairman. Nailed on FACT.

You heard it here first. :roll:
Last night the announcer for the hockey game said: "Since the advent of the internet most rumours are started by 13 year olds living in their parents basement or by 30 year olds living in their parents basement". I imagine much the same is true of football.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:According to the Evening Chronicle, Allardyce was sacked because despite Ashley, Mort, The Fans AND the players wanting to play a more attractive brand of football, Allardyce would not change, and kept talking about "winning ugly".

Apparently they'd had enough. Had little to do with new signings other than Ashley didn't trust Allardyce to spend the money.
Not a clever move, when your boss isn't even the guy who employed you. He simply had to win if that was his attitude - arrogance was his undoing then (if this is to be believed - I prefer the Nolan idea :wink: )

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:22 pm

The Chronicle Article

The 'insider' sounds like some bloke in the pub to me.