ANC moved to June?

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

ANC moved to June?

Post by Athers » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:48 pm

Septic Blatter has come out and said the ANC should move to June by 2016. No doubt one of the parting shots of the G14.

Interesting that FIFA should want this move, basically telling teams to play in outrageous heat, after banning play at high altitude in South America (at Brazil's request) when it's been shown that playing in extreme heat is more dangerous than at altitude.

I suppose it'll be nice for European clubs like ourselves though because the number of African players in our leagues will only increase from here.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:49 pm

At least if the heat kills em, there's still some transfer window to find a replacement....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:33 pm

I've been sent the full quote. Blatter: "We strongly recommend that the African Cup of Nations be moved to June. And opened up to non-African teams. And renamed Sepp Blatter's World Cup.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: ANC moved to June?

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:05 pm

Athers wrote:Septic Blatter has come out and said the ANC should move to June by 2016. No doubt one of the parting shots of the G14.

Interesting that FIFA should want this move, basically telling teams to play in outrageous heat, after banning play at high altitude in South America (at Brazil's request) when it's been shown that playing in extreme heat is more dangerous than at altitude.

I suppose it'll be nice for European clubs like ourselves though because the number of African players in our leagues will only increase from here.
I thought that the very reason that it's played when it is is to avoid the heat in the first place. I'd like to see that fat c*nt running about in sweltering heat.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Batman

Post by Batman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:06 pm

i'd like to see him running in quicksand

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:08 pm

I'd like to see him running football properly

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:13 pm

I'd like to see him running from a pride of wild lions
Businesswoman of the year.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:17 pm

I'd like to see him running into a pride of wild lions

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:24 pm

TBH I'd like to see him run out of football for good.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:27 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I'd like to see him running football properly
He couldn't run a bath.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:02 pm

I'd not like to see him anything

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:54 am

Can't remember who said it but someone said that the ANC should only be moved it that was best for Africa. It's an African tournament which has a hugely positive impact whilst it's on and shouldn't be moved to pander to the european clubs. they know what they're getting when they're buying

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:33 am

hisroyalgingerness wrote:Can't remember who said it but someone said that the ANC should only be moved it that was best for Africa. It's an African tournament which has a hugely positive impact whilst it's on and shouldn't be moved to pander to the european clubs. they know what they're getting when they're buying
So true my ginger bro!! They buy players for half the price of their European equivalents, but then moan when they play internationals.. Winds me up no end.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:24 pm

I'd like to see Blatter given a part in a re-make of Zulu- preferably a s a soldier in full kit- filmed in Africa from May to September.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:12 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:I'd like to see Blatter given a part in a re-make of Zulu- preferably a s a soldier in full kit- filmed in Africa from May to September.
He wouldn't pass the physical, my man! 8)
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:26 pm

boltonboris wrote:
hisroyalgingerness wrote:Can't remember who said it but someone said that the ANC should only be moved it that was best for Africa. It's an African tournament which has a hugely positive impact whilst it's on and shouldn't be moved to pander to the european clubs. they know what they're getting when they're buying
So true my ginger bro!! They buy players for half the price of their European equivalents, but then moan when they play internationals.. Winds me up no end.
Thing is though, the timing and frequency of the ACN is actually damaging to African players and clubs.

That European clubs "know what they're getting" is true, which is why they often choose not to buy at all, and when they do it's at a lower price and at a lower wage than it would be if the ACN didn't happen when it does and as often as it does.

Moving it to once every four years, or playing it in June with all the fixtures played in the evening under floodlights, might not be a bad sacrifice for African football to make for itself.
Last edited by mummywhycantieatcrayons on Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:22 pm

I don't know how true this is (though i doubt he made it up) but Efan Ekoku said that another reason they couldn't play it in the Summer is because it rains a lot more often, and thus a lot of the grounds wouldn't be able to cope.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:19 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
Thing is though, the timing and frequency of the ACN is actually damaging to African players and clubs.

That European clubs "know what they're getting" is true, which is why they often choose not to buy at all, and when they do it's at a lower price and at a lower wage than it would be if the ACN didn't happen when it does and as often as it does.

Moving it to once every four years, or playing it in June with all the fixtures played in the evening under floodlights, might not be a bad sacrifice for African football to make for itself.
point being that if it was in their best interests - and not just african football this is an event which lifts a whole continent. an event in which a couple of hundred lucky players get to use their fame to highlight the poverty the continent still lives under - if it was in their best interests then it would have been moved to the summer by now

but whilst the cheapest flights are in january they'll continue to host it then

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:44 pm

meite wins first game v nigeria. good win for the cote d'ivorie

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:51 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:meite wins first game v nigeria. good win for the cote d'ivorie
It's an interesting question - do we want Ivory Coast and Senegal to get spanked so we get our players back earlier, or do we want them to well so that when they come back they are in good form?