The Munich Silence

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Should a Minutes silence be observed under any circumstances?

Yes - people have died, end of
88%
No - There are some people whom I would not observe this for
5%
No - there are some teams of whom I would not respect their request
8%

Total votes: 40

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:14 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote:I realise its cynical, but just cannot help feeling theres a holy than everyone else thing going on. Just imagine the fuse Utd would kick up if they played Liverpool on the anniversary of Hillsborough? Would they be happy with a minutes silence? No. People would see some of the idiots that support them, as there is no chance Utd fans (a minority admittedly) would keep the silence.
You mean like when they disrupted the minute's silence when they played Sunderland at home on the anniversary of Hillsborough in 2006, and the away fans retorted by singing You'll Never Walk Alone?

Nah, Man United would never do anything like that.

durham_wanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by durham_wanderer » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:30 pm

Quite sad how this is so flaunted in the press and other disasters in football are seemingly forgotten about. Its all a PR stunt for man utd now, get the sympathy vote and make their neighbours look worse in the process.

But thats f*cking mancs for you

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:41 pm

durham_wanderer wrote:Quite sad how this is so flaunted in the press and other disasters in football are seemingly forgotten about. Its all a PR stunt for man utd now, get the sympathy vote and make their neighbours look worse in the process.

But thats f*cking mancs for you
Aye, Like fat, sweaty, alcoholic wank shafts that live in the North East??

Oops, was that me tarring with one brush?

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:02 pm

boltonboris wrote:Oops, was that me tarring with one brush?
No reason to be different to the rest of the site.

Yours, blurred
Self-Pity City

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:05 pm

blurred wrote:

Yours, blurred
Self-Pity City
Don't you have a funeral to go to?? :wink:

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:12 pm

boltonboris wrote:
blurred wrote:

Yours, blurred
Self-Pity City
Don't you have a funeral to go to?? :wink:
:lmfao:

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:40 pm

The ironing is delicious...

:roll:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:22 pm

blurred wrote:The ironing is delicious...

:roll:
Ironing? Not sure I follow that.... :conf:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:36 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:Ironing? Not sure I follow that.... :conf:
Irony

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:46 pm

blurred wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:Ironing? Not sure I follow that.... :conf:
Irony
Oh. A typo!
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:45 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:Oh. A typo!
Well, a quote of a mis-speak by someone else, but yes. I was just revelling in Boltonboris' wonderful flexibility of principle.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:57 pm

blurred wrote:Man City have one day per season that they remember their departed players/coaches/etc on, which I think is a good way of doing it.
Thats a belting idea, England should just pick a day (the day we/West Ham won the World Cup or summat), stick a Friendly on it, then have a minute silence/applause for every ex England player or coach who has died, and just keep it to that one day.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:29 pm

Perviously stated, this is a Manchester thing. Why then can't the citizens of the city respect that regardless of which segment they support? Can't really see anything wrong at all about the people there honouring their dead. The ironic thing is that some of the fathers know little or nothing about the Busby era, let alone their kids. The whole thing has gone wildly out of proportion and all this has become a media circus and stretches to days of hype and publicity. The same city came to a standstill for three minutes (along with most of the country) for the 911 respect silence. The traffic was stopped and there was really a silence. I was there. This for another country yet they can't respect the dead oftheir own city for a single minute? Makes no sense and puts a bad reflection on football in general.

I'll respect it, but then again I was nineteen when it happened and remember it all. I'd even seen some of them playing.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:06 pm

It'll be quite an acheivement if the United fans manage a full minute. They can't usually keep their asinine views to themselves for that long.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:09 pm

Why are 'we' getting our knickers in a knot over something that (apart from football) has sweet FA to do with us? If you don't like the way Man UFC is behaving over the matter then you'll just have to lump it. If you don't like the way the media are crawling all over it then wake up and look at the rest of the news - it's usually at the front of the 'paper.

I find the thought that the club is trying to run some 'sympathy' agenda to be utterly silly. What on Earth would they gain by attempting such (other than the marketing of their 'brand')? I would imagine that from anyone who does not support the club absolutely nothing.

Whilst it's only my view, I couldn't give a toss what Man Utd do. It's its fans to which it caters and, in theory, no one else. On 4th July 1977 my father died. Do I have a minute's silence for the remembrance of his passing? Of course I do not. But that's my call, not yours.

Leave it be.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:35 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:A cynical observer might think that Man United's refusal to adopt an applause instead of a minutes silence is down to them hoping that there will be a handful of drunken City fans who will spoil the silence and provide the watching worlds media with a priceless negative spotlight of Manchester City FC.
The City fans will be respectful. and should be.

Just as we were when we played at the Theatre of Tourists on the anniversary - was that the 50th? And a 1-1 draw?

There's a kind of sentimentality about these things, at all clubs, i think, that makes the fillings ache a bit, and especially so when it comes to this team - 'The flowers of English football' etc...

I argued against the munich chants in Tripe and Trotters years ago, and am pleased they are now peripheral when it comes to games against the unspeakable shite... It demeans us, and that's the best reason to refrain... I'm not surprised for the huge majority here on this one...

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:40 pm

blurred wrote:
David Lee's Hair wrote:I realise its cynical, but just cannot help feeling theres a holy than everyone else thing going on. Just imagine the fuse Utd would kick up if they played Liverpool on the anniversary of Hillsborough? Would they be happy with a minutes silence? No. People would see some of the idiots that support them, as there is no chance Utd fans (a minority admittedly) would keep the silence.
You mean like when they disrupted the minute's silence when they played Sunderland at home on the anniversary of Hillsborough in 2006, and the away fans retorted by singing You'll Never Walk Alone?

Only fans I have witnessed not observe a minutes silence were Man Ure's lot (more than just once)

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:46 pm

Raven wrote:
blurred wrote:

Only fans I have witnessed not observe a minutes silence were Man Ure's lot (more than just once)

Unfortunatly Manures minority of supportors would fill most other grounds :(

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:11 pm

William the White wrote:Just as we were when we played at the Theatre of Tourists on the anniversary - was that the 50th? And a 1-1 draw?
40th anniversary (funnily enough, 10 years ago :wink:) when Super Bobby Taylor scored.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:40 pm

Leyther_Matt wrote:
William the White wrote:Just as we were when we played at the Theatre of Tourists on the anniversary - was that the 50th? And a 1-1 draw?
40th anniversary (funnily enough, 10 years ago :wink:) when Super Bobby Taylor scored.
:oops: