MADNESS!

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

MADNESS!

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:54 pm

What an utterly absurd idea.

39 games, one set of fixtures played abroard, the extra fixture decided by a "draw" , top 5 teams seeded so as to avoid playing each other....

BOLLOX!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 232390.stm

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:59 pm

Are they going to give out free return flights with season tickets??

Doubt it

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:06 pm

A.T. Deleted you post as it was a doubler of BWFCInsane's thread. Hope you don't mind?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:07 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:A.T. Deleted you post as it was a doubler of BWFCInsane's thread. Hope you don't mind?
but mine was the better thread, I had quotes and everything <whinge> :wink:

only kidding Tango :mrgreen:

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:07 pm

we can't fill our ground as it is, so we can get off our high horse about this. if it means more revenue for us, from sponsors, tv and merchandising then i'm all for it. they're adding an extra game so we're not missing out on much and it will affect EVERYone.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:12 pm

A serious issue is the fairness of this. Lets have a scenario.

Sunderland are in the 3rd relegation spot and Wigan lie 1 point above in safety. The "random draw" takes place and Sunderland draw Man U away in Sao Paulo, meanwhile Wigan draw Derby County in Dubai. You could argue that Wigan's season is easier than Sunderland's and therefore it is no longer a level playing field with all teams playing each other an equal number of times.

If this goes ahead then I think all fans should vote with their feet and attend a local lower division league match and boycott the Premier League, just to remind them that without us they have no product to sell abroad :evil:

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:15 pm

Agreed, i just don't see how in any way this could be a logical idea, it's absurd.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:17 pm

Shite idea.
I can see it now....Bolton v Birmingham playing to an empty stadium in Japan.
Only no tv companies will bid for the rights to show it because (let's face it) it's only Bolton v Birmingham playing to an empty stadium in Japan. We'd not even break even on the game.

Yet another cash-cow incentive so the rich clubs get richer.
Businesswoman of the year.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:19 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:A serious issue is the fairness of this. Lets have a scenario.

Sunderland are in the 3rd relegation spot and Wigan lie 1 point above in safety. The "random draw" takes place and Sunderland draw Man U away in Sao Paulo, meanwhile Wigan draw Derby County in Dubai. You could argue that Wigan's season is easier than Sunderland's and therefore it is no longer a level playing field with all teams playing each other an equal number of times.

If this goes ahead then I think all fans should vote with their feet and attend a local lower division league match and boycott the Premier League, just to remind them that without us they have no product to sell abroad :evil:
Exactly, will completely skew the fixtures.

Even worse is this
It is understood the additional fixtures could be determined by a draw but that the top-five teams could be seeded to avoid playing each other.
Now someone explain

a) When and what determines a top 5 team?
b) Why should this rule even be in place
c) Surely the same should go for bottom 5?

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:23 pm

fatshaft wrote:a) When and what determines a top 5 team?
a) The teams that finished top 5 the previous year, obviously.
b) So that they don't play each other.
c) Yes it should. But it won't.
Businesswoman of the year.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:26 pm

fatshaft wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:A serious issue is the fairness of this. Lets have a scenario.

Exactly, will completely skew the fixtures.

Even worse is this
It is understood the additional fixtures could be determined by a draw but that the top-five teams could be seeded to avoid playing each other.
Now someone explain

a) When and what determines a top 5 team?
For top-5 read 'those with the biggest vested interest and most cash'.

It should make more sense then.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:26 pm

How about the 'big 4' all feck off to Timbuctu or Outer Mongolia and all play off to make loads of money. The team finishing bottom out of the 4 lose their Champions League place to another team in the PL. This could be done by a draw :roll:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:28 pm

The only good thing that can come of this is the fact that teams like West Ham and Newcastle games will be played in front of half empty stadiums suggesting they're not as massif as they and the media let on

claus jensens guitar
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by claus jensens guitar » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:32 pm

Worst. Idea. Ever.

Even worse than signing Cid !

I don't mind us trying to increase our revenue but altering the basic structure of the league is crazy. According to the article all Premier League clubs have agreed to look into this proposal so I guess it means Gartside and co are on board. These are the teams that will no doubt complain about fixture congestion in the coming months and yet they want to add another game to the season. But it would be wonderful if United had to play Spurs in Sydney at 8am our time on a Sunday and then have to fly back round the world to play us on a Wednesday night at the Reebok.

If they are so desperate why not just scrap the League Cup and have a Premiership Cup (Premier League won't allow other league clubs to cash in though) where we all play in different cities. That would surely be a better idea for something like this. Its not like Bolton fans / or most other teams could complain about a change to the League Cup and I'm sure I'd like to chance to go and see us even further around the world than the UEFA cup allows us to.

fozzy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by fozzy » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:37 pm

"The only good thing that can come of this is the fact that teams like West Ham and Newcastle games will be played in front of half empty stadiums suggesting they're not as massif as they and the media let on..."

For the record, I couldn't give a a f*ck about foreign fans, but let's not turn this into a 'my club is bigger/better/richer than yours' thread.

At the end of the day it's a ridiculously greedy and insane scheme, and the Premier League have certainly plunged to new depths with this.

Terrible, terrible idea.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:40 pm

How do you say "relegation contenders" in Japanese?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

runningonbravado
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by runningonbravado » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:51 pm

More importantly, how do you say "money spinning feck* will ruin the game this way" in Japanese?

Seriously what do they think will happen? Random draws just gives every team an excuse to say "oh we'd still be up if we got drawn against Wigan instead of Everton". I mean what the fecking hell is the world coming to? LEAVE IT AS IT IS! Can't say fairer than playing each team twice. It's bad enough games get moved to a lunchtime, 5pm or Sunday, let alone being moved to 8am to accomodate some Aussie nob who can't be bothered forking out to come see his team win. If "foreign fans" are such big fans, they'd fly over and watch the games. It's the English Premier league, so it should be in England. ALWAYS.

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:53 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:How do you say "relegation contenders" in Japanese?
Reregation contendahs! :mrgreen:
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:56 pm

runningonbravado wrote:More importantly, how do you say "money spinning feck will ruin the game this way" in Japanese?

Seriously what do they think will happen? Random draws just gives every team an excuse to say "oh we'd still be up if we got drawn against Wigan instead of Everton". I mean what the fecking hell is the world coming to? LEAVE IT AS IT IS! Can't say fairer than playing each team twice. It's bad enough games get moved to a lunchtime, 5pm or Sunday, let alone being moved to 8am to accomodate some Aussie nob who can't be bothered forking out to come see his team win. If "foreign fans" are such big fans, they'd fly over and watch the games. It's the English Premier league, so it should be in England. ALWAYS.
Just had this image of faninoz and Dujon sat in the Melbourne equivalent of the Reebok complaining about the low turnout and lack of commitment from 'so-called' fans! :wink:
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:56 pm

enfieldwhite wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:How do you say "relegation contenders" in Japanese?
Reregation contendahs! :mrgreen:
You said something similar on Chinese tv a while back if I recall :wink: