Aliadiere ban increased...but Fat Frank gets off............

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Aliadiere ban increased...but Fat Frank gets off............

Post by fatshaft » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:35 pm

...due to "frivilous appeal!?!?!?

What a joke of a system :crazy:
Last edited by fatshaft on Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:38 pm

why not? It was clearly the right decision and they were takingt the piss by appealing, just wastin the disciplinary board's time.
It send the right message out. If you don't do this everyone appeals anything and then bans get delayed until after certain fixtures, they still get upheld but the player misses a game against derby instead of man u or vice versa.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:36 pm

Bet they wouldn't do it to Rooney though.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:47 pm

now if leotard boy had served his apprenticeship :wink:

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:36 pm

communistworkethic wrote:why not? It was clearly the right decision and they were takingt the piss by appealing, just wastin the disciplinary board's time.
It send the right message out. If you don't do this everyone appeals anything and then bans get delayed until after certain fixtures, they still get upheld but the player misses a game against derby instead of man u or vice versa.
I'm not in the habit of regurgitating stuff of Soccer Saturday (certainly not when Paul Merson is involved with the conversation) but this was raised and for me is a valid point. Had it been Rooney or Ronaldo sent off and United appealed, do you think this 'panel' would have the balls to ring up old red face that his appeal was 'frivilous' and the ban was getting upgraded for his troubles? Would they bollocks.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:55 pm

I'm hardline with Commie on this. We have to stop people trying to defend the indefensible - especially 'tactically' so an appeal drags the process on and leaves the player available for an important upcoming game.

And I've just noticed Commie's said more or less exactly the same but better :oops:

Also, didn't Ferguson unsuccessfully appeal against his sending-off - yes, red card, off to the stands - during defeat at a certain glorious north-western club last autumn? No, I can't recall anyone at Bastard Central being accused of a 'frivolous' appeal, but then none of them had appealed when they'd slapped someone round the face! Girly slap, but slap nonetheless.

What I want to know if, did Mascherano get sent off for his equally effeminate grab of Aliadiadiadiadiaiere's chops? Thought players who grabbed an opponent above the neck got an automatic straight red? Is this perhaps why Boro's appeal was punished? Is it possible that this would have been known to a more experienced manager than Southgate? :mrgreen:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:06 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote: What I want to know if, did Mascherano get sent off for his equally effeminate grab of Aliadiadiadiadiaiere's chops? Thought players who grabbed an opponent above the neck got an automatic straight red? Is this perhaps why Boro's appeal was punished? Is it possible that this would have been known to a more experienced manager than Southgate? :mrgreen:
No, of course not, that's provocation and, as far as I know, there is no such crime. Now had SKD done it, well.....

All that said, it was all pretty mild compared to Campo's er, "push" on Dunn, and Jussi's crackpot reaction to Pedersen. Those two penalties might have saved the pair of them from reds.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:35 pm

don't be suggesting there's different rules for liverpool

LeeRoyBrown
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by LeeRoyBrown » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:19 am

Typical dirty tricks by the argy.

Mascherano should be punished for his antics too, it's not the way to behave on the football pitch.

But nowt will be done.

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Aliadiere ban increased...

Post by bw@bw » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:58 am

fatshaft wrote:...due to "frivilous appeal!?!?!?

No - otherrwise its a one-way bet -

Appeal against everything and jam up the system

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Aliadiere ban increased...

Post by fatshaft » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:05 am

bw@bw wrote:
fatshaft wrote:...due to "frivilous appeal!?!?!?

No - otherrwise its a one-way bet -

Appeal against everything and jam up the system
I agree to a point, but was this actually frivilous? To be honest, by the strict laws of the game, yes, he raised his hands, so it's a straight red. But really, in anyone's eyes was it a red?

I am glad to see Boro coming out that there's one rule for some clubs and one for others, because you have to have a sneaking suspicion that the point of the appeal was as much to draw attention to the fact that Hey Macarena didn't even get spoken to (so yes again frivilous), never mind booked or sent off, and he grabbed Aliadierre, whereas Aliadieree simply slapped him off. The Argie was the more aggressive of the two.(therefore good grounds to appeal surely?) ae:)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:53 am

That's not appealing the Aliadiere card though, it's trying to get another player banned. not far removed from saying "he started it". Keith Lamb's bleatings were on more solid ground when he was drawing a comparison to Chelsea's appeal against Essien's sending-off not being deemed "frivolous".

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:04 pm

Given that a team near by us in the League have just had one of their starting attackers banned for an additional game - quite frankly I don't give a shiny....works for me.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:50 pm

GOOD

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:00 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I'm hardline with Commie on this. We have to stop people trying to defend the indefensible - especially 'tactically' so an appeal drags the process on and leaves the player available for an important upcoming game.

And I've just noticed Commie's said more or less exactly the same but better :oops:

Also, didn't Ferguson unsuccessfully appeal against his sending-off - yes, red card, off to the stands - during defeat at a certain glorious north-western club last autumn? No, I can't recall anyone at Bastard Central being accused of a 'frivolous' appeal, but then none of them had appealed when they'd slapped someone round the face! Girly slap, but slap nonetheless.

What I want to know if, did Mascherano get sent off for his equally effeminate grab of Aliadiadiadiadiaiere's chops? Thought players who grabbed an opponent above the neck got an automatic straight red? Is this perhaps why Boro's appeal was punished? Is it possible that this would have been known to a more experienced manager than Southgate? :mrgreen:
My main problem is that, who decides what counts as a 'frivolous' appeal, worthy of an extra game ban (like this situation) or just an appeal turned down (like Fergies)? Something so subjective yet clearly could have a large affect on peoples seasons (although in this case, i hope it does have a dramatic effect on Boros season and they nosedive).

Say if Diouf gets sent off unjustly on Saturday. Do we do nothing and just accept a three game ban for one of our most influential players, or do try and appeal at the risk of having another game added on if we catch the 'panel' on a bad day?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:49 pm

we aint chelsea united liverpool or arsenal so if it happened to us said player would get an extra ban

in terms of things like this it is one rule for one and another for those less fortunate

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:05 pm

officer_dibble wrote:we aint chelsea united liverpool or arsenal so if it happened to us said player would get an extra ban

in terms of things like this it is one rule for one and another for those less fortunate
Clearly the appeals panel needs to be made up of three Americans from the Midwest who don't know the difference between Manchester United and FC United of Manchester.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:58 am

Tombwfc wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I'm hardline with Commie on this. We have to stop people trying to defend the indefensible - especially 'tactically' so an appeal drags the process on and leaves the player available for an important upcoming game.

My main problem is that, who decides what counts as a 'frivolous' appeal, worthy of an extra game ban (like this situation) or just an appeal turned down (like Fergies)? Something so subjective yet clearly could have a large affect on peoples seasons (although in this case, i hope it does have a dramatic effect on Boros season and they nosedive).

Say if Diouf gets sent off unjustly on Saturday. Do we do nothing and just accept a three game ban for one of our most influential players, or do try and appeal at the risk of having another game added on if we catch the 'panel' on a bad day?
Exactly, and partly why I posted this in the first place. SKY news actually did a good piece on this last night, showing the various different handlings of similar situations to Allieiadeiirereerr. Even better was Petrov getting his second booking this week for a very very minor kick out, whereas Gallas didn't even get a booking for a proper kick the previous week.

The referees we just have to accept are inconsistent, but there's no need for a panel to be, surely it can be someone's job to be apermannent panel member, at leats throughout a season so that the same consideration is given every time?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:50 am

fatshaft wrote: The referees we just have to accept are inconsistent, but there's no need for a panel to be, surely it can be someone's job to be apermannent panel member, at leats throughout a season so that the same consideration is given every time?
There should be a seperate panel based on Oscar-winning performances on the field. Half the fouls would never be given but for the death-agony air-flights, face-holding drama queens and horizontal scenes from Casualty.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:29 am

So, it's Fat Frank's turn today. Be interesting to see what comes of this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 275167.stm