And so to Newcastle.

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

And so to Newcastle.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:34 pm

Will the messiah's men finish our weekend off with a bang?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:41 pm

Hope so.
If it stays the way it is then we've had a fantastic weekend.

Of course karma will no doubt redress the balance next week.... :|
Businesswoman of the year.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:57 pm

hmmm, be interesting if they fail to beat boro next week - sunderland that is

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:14 pm

Looking at the table, I was kind of hoping that Sunderland would get a win before they came to the 'Bok.

Allow me to explain the twisted logic. They are essentially out of the relegation scrap, a win for one of the three most likely next week could have their spincters twitching again. I'd rather they arrived at ours well out of it, so if its 1-0 to us with 10mins left, they won't be throwing the kitchen sink at us, probably in anticipation of the last-day party at the SOL they will all want to be a part of.

If that makes sense...
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:48 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Looking at the table, I was kind of hoping that Sunderland would get a win before they came to the 'Bok.

Allow me to explain the twisted logic. They are essentially out of the relegation scrap, a win for one of the three most likely next week could have their spincters twitching again. I'd rather they arrived at ours well out of it, so if its 1-0 to us with 10mins left, they won't be throwing the kitchen sink at us, probably in anticipation of the last-day party at the SOL they will all want to be a part of.

If that makes sense...
I understand what you're saying but I disagree. If they come to us safe they'll be in good spirits and carefree. I'd rather they were as nervous as us. If we can't beat a team as poor as Sunderland on our patch then we deserve to go down.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:49 pm

don't say that warty, we've already failed to beat fulham, boro and city at home!

ramboy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ramboy » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:54 pm

warthog wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:Looking at the table, I was kind of hoping that Sunderland would get a win before they came to the 'Bok.

If that makes sense...
I understand what you're saying but I disagree. If they come to us safe they'll be in good spirits and carefree. I'd rather they were as nervous as us. If we can't beat a team as poor as Sunderland on our patch then we deserve to go down.

Yeah, but they are not as poor as Bolton are they?

They were also missing their 2 best defenders today.

By the way, well done the past two weeks, you'll probably stay up now.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:18 pm

Sunderland were soundly beaten by their hated neighbours, which is never good for their morale, although they have an immediate chance to regain local pride next week at home to the Smoggies. Both those teams are only four points above us now. Oh and it's worth remembering, while discussing the carefree, that many Mackem fans will be in fancy dress at our place for a last-away-game 'party'. This could have a positive effect on their team but possibly not if our players are fans are in serious business mode while their fans are pissing about like drunken teenagers. Which many of them probably will be.

Crouch > Davies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Crouch > Davies » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:07 pm

I think the debate about pressurized opponents is a really interesting one.

I personally prefer to play a team that is fighting for their lives. There's always so much pressure on at this stage of the season and the more relaxed a team is there more this can be exploited. Take yesterday for example, Fulham are scrapping for their lives whereas we were able to approach the game relatively relaxed due to the BS losing again on Thursday. I know there's a gulf in quality between the two teams but pressure gets to players and Fulham didn't look at all confident yesterday.

I know it's a different kettle of fish and if Sunderland do get dragged back into it next week then the game at the Reebok in a fortnight will be a high pressure cooker, but I personally prefer it that way.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:19 pm

I know what you mean about playing teams under pressure, but would you rather play United when they have to win to win the the league? I wouldn't!!!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:35 pm

boltonboris wrote:I know what you mean about playing teams under pressure, but would you rather play United when they have to win to win the the league? I wouldn't!!!
It's all relative, too. Is it harder to play Liverpool, who've already effectively qualified for the Champions League and have their minds elsewhere, or a desperate-for-points Birmingham? The league table emphatically tells us that Blues are an inferior team to Blackburn, but which of those two outfits will be more up for it at St Andrews on May 11th? Would you rather, next week, us be travelling to White Hart Lane or St Andrews?

Crouch > Davies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Crouch > Davies » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:47 pm

boltonboris wrote:I know what you mean about playing teams under pressure, but would you rather play United when they have to win to win the the league? I wouldn't!!!
To be fair, there's never a good time to be playing the vermin, is there?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:49 pm

Crouch > Davies wrote:
We used to find the weekends between Champions League nights handy to pop round :wink:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:33 pm

Crouch > Davies wrote:
No and that's because they have good players - Players who respond well to pressure, they don;t get as edgy and nervous, just more focused and determined. Lesser players (ie; Fulham players) would crack as they showed yesterday

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:53 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Crouch > Davies wrote:
No and that's because they have good players - Players who respond well to pressure, they don;t get as edgy and nervous, just more focused and determined. Lesser players (ie; Fulham players) would crack as they showed yesterday
Aye, give the Mancs their due. They play ninety minute football always (96 minutess if they happen to be losing) and never give up. Must be from being so near to Bolton. :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Oba
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Oba » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:00 am

Sunderland were poor today and I think they were hoping to do a containing job rather than try to win the game, Kenwyne Jones was up top on his own and didn't get much support from the midfield.

Fulham have had it, not sure who the other will be but it'll depend on what sort of team Liverpool put out next week against Birmingham.

I hope you lot stay up just so fat Sam can't go on about you lot getting relegated when he left.