Best player you've ever seen in the flesh

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Batman

Best player you've ever seen in the flesh

Post by Batman » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:30 pm

ie, at a match.

Would have to be Lionel Messi, the guy was extraordinary.

Went to Barca v Espanyol in April, he only came on at HT and yet he destroyed the opposition. He was a joy to watch, and dangerous like i've never seen a player (bar Nolan being a danger to the stock at Greggs).

Unreal stuff, shits on Ronaldo, metaphorically speaking.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:33 pm

Willie Miller

Batman

Post by Batman » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:34 pm

is that it, no elaboration

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:37 pm

Taddy Nowak

No elaboration needed.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:40 pm

Paulo Maldini playing for Italy at Wembley in 97. Made Beckham out to look like a complete novice (and a shit novice at that) and gave Neville the runaround on the overlap. When he wasn't doing any of that he was filling in across the back. Never conceded possession once either!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:41 pm

We've been so good at stifling the oppo at the Bok in the Allardyce years that loads of superstars have come and gone without us seeing what they could do.

And despite the inevitable abuse I'll receive for saying this, Steve McManaman is one of the best players I've ever seen with a football at his feet.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:44 pm

Wrong forum, Fink!

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:51 pm

There's a possiblity I've seen better players than him since but he's got to be my favourite due to the nostalgia of it all.

I was lucky enough (or foolish enough) to be one of the 3000 that watched Bolton Brescia in the Anglo-Italian cup - have a feeling I was stood with LK actually. I was even really excited about the Anglo Italian cup as at 13/14 it was Bolton in Europe :mrgreen:

Anyhow, that game we drew 3-3 but we played against one man, and one man alone. This guy scored a hat-trick including a free kick from half way. Since then I reckon he's probably been my all-time favourite player, and one, who I wish was a little younger, and we could have sneaked in on a free a la Youri. Infact I reckon if we had we'd talk about him in the same breath as some of our recent footballing hero's. That man....

The Maradona of the Carpathians, Gheorghe Hagi

Just the fact I was seeing a player, who I knew had been at Real Madrid playing at Bolton, having never seen Bolton in anything other than the bottom 2 divisions until that season (or at least knowingly) put's him at the top of my rankings.
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

BWFC_Wyles
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BWFC_Wyles » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:52 pm

Difficult one!

Okocha was sublime when at his best and I've never seen anyone do things with a ball that he could. Seeing Cantona, Gullit & Ronaldinho in the flesh were particularly proud moments. Cristiano Ronaldo is immense to watch. Seeing Thierry Henry was an honour. Seeing Gheorghe Hagi come to Burnden in the Anglo-Italian Cup was incredibly memorable as well! Others I feel honoured to have seen include Fernando Hierro (such a class act) Rooney, Tevez, Djorkaeff, Joaquin, Eto'o and Beckham.

In short, I cannot answer! Too difficult!
Last edited by BWFC_Wyles on Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Anything else you'd like? How about real lead in the radiation shields? Urinal cakes, maybe?"

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:52 pm

Youri!

BWFC_Wyles
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BWFC_Wyles » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:53 pm

Crazy stuff DLH.....you were writing about Hagi at the same time I was including him in my list! Massive honour to see him play!
"Anything else you'd like? How about real lead in the radiation shields? Urinal cakes, maybe?"

Batman

Post by Batman » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:54 pm

To see at the Reebok was probably Hierro. Flawless and effortless quality. Made everything look so easy

BWFC_Wyles
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BWFC_Wyles » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:55 pm

Indeed he did. He could create time for himself when it seemed so crowded. A genius

Batman

Post by Batman » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:56 pm

Finest striker of a ball, and set-piece taker too, he was a genius. Shame on Allardyce for the way he treated him.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:56 pm

He kept shooting from their own half didn't he? He was fookin good mind.

I'm sure thats the game when Branagan did keepy uppy in front of the Burnden Terrace, whilst Diddy danced around him(due to injury of one of the Italians). The bizarre nature of that imagery had to be seen to be believed.

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:59 pm

Batman wrote:To see at the Reebok was probably Hierro. Flawless and effortless quality. Made everything look so easy
Once he moved to defensive mid I'll agree.

Cannot go too far away from Youri at the Reebok.

That said I've not seen a player in the Prem who could come near Jay-Jay playing at the top of his game. Pikey he maybe with more dogs than money, but Keane was a great player, and Jay-Jay is the only one I've seen completely take the piss out of him, and bee quick enough that he couldn't get near him to break his knees

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:00 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:He kept shooting from their own half didn't he? He was fookin good mind.

I'm sure thats the game when Branagan did keepy uppy in front of the Burnden Terrace, whilst Diddy danced around him(due to injury of one of the Italians). The bizarre nature of that imagery had to be seen to be believed.
Sure he got one of them as well. Was only Davidson in goal like :mrgreen:

BWFC_Wyles
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BWFC_Wyles » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:00 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote:
Batman wrote:To see at the Reebok was probably Hierro. Flawless and effortless quality. Made everything look so easy
Once he moved to defensive mid I'll agree.

Cannot go too far away from Youri at the Reebok.

That said I've not seen a player in the Prem who could come near Jay-Jay playing at the top of his game. Pikey he maybe with more dogs than money, but Keane was a great player, and Jay-Jay is the only one I've seen completely take the piss out of him, and bee quick enough that he couldn't get near him to break his knees
HAHA remember it well. Only to then do the same to Beckham! LEGENDARY!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:05 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:He kept shooting from their own half didn't he? He was fookin good mind.

Sure he got one of them as well. Was only Davidson in goal like :mrgreen:
It may be cos he was a sub, or it may have been against Anconna, but it was deffo Branagan. The fact we sang ooh aah Branagan whilst he did it is the dead give-away :wink:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:12 pm

I saw Pele against Bulgaria (brutal swines they were) and against Eusebio's Portugal in 1966. Just down the road it was... (well, Goodison Park I think). Wasn't his best day as he was fouled and hurt a lot. Eusebio looked pretty good mind.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.