Curbishley Resigns.....

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:25 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Its 4 games. We lost in a pitiful performance against Northampton after stating we were taking the cups more seriously. Someone mentioned we have far fewer games this year, so there isn't an excuse.
Ok, half a season and four games.

Will you answer the actual question now?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:26 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:Its 4 games. We lost in a pitiful performance against Northampton after stating we were taking the cups more seriously. Someone mentioned we have far fewer games this year, so there isn't an excuse.
Ok, half a season and four games.

Will you answer the actual question now?
And what question is that?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

JT
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by JT » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:34 pm

Can't say too much but it's a player. Don't speak to him myself but some-one I'm VERY close too does.
Maybe he just has an axe to grind but I can't imagine why. Megson has a record of fallings-out too, so it wouldn't surprise me one bit that he's telling the truth.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:46 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:1 cup final, 2 UEFA qualifications(our first ever foray into Europe), 2 other top-8 finishes. This is about football not the peripherals. I don't care abot Allardyce vs Megson in personality, interview technique, politeness. Utterly irrelevant.

Its all about winning football matches. Allardyce was good at that, Megson doesn't appear to be so.
Which is great, but how many of those did he achieve in his first half season and three games?

It took what, 4/5 years to achieve any of those, and you won't give Megson one year.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:47 pm

JT wrote:Can't say too much but it's a player. Don't speak to him myself but some-one I'm VERY close too does.
Maybe he just has an axe to grind but I can't imagine why. Megson has a record of fallings-out too, so it wouldn't surprise me one bit that he's telling the truth.
Nicky Hunt - Mate, he's a gobshite and doesn't like the fact he's no longer first choice

I bet it's him

JT
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by JT » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:53 pm

Isn't actually, he's not english.
Not trying to create a 'guess the player' kind of thing, just can't say much more than that for my own sake really!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:57 pm

He took the existing squad up the table, after a disastrous start under Todd. I remember seeing us away at QPR not long after he took over, and how good the team was tacticaly set up to get a result. They did, 1-0, and I'd never before seen a Wanderers side go away from home with such confidence. Which in turn filled me with confidence. I certainly haven't felt any confidence watching a Megson side away from home, its like watching an unfolding train crash. He then took us to the play-offs, and semis in both cups. He had hardly any money to spend, yet the results were pretty much instantaneous.

The whole set up of Megsons teams fills me with much confidence, and history would suggest I'm right to be concerned.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:11 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:He took the existing squad up the table, after a disastrous start under Todd. I remember seeing us away at QPR not long after he took over, and how good the team was tacticaly set up to get a result. They did, 1-0, and I'd never before seen a Wanderers side go away from home with such confidence. Which in turn filled me with confidence. I certainly haven't felt any confidence watching a Megson side away from home, its like watching an unfolding train crash. He then took us to the play-offs, and semis in both cups. He had hardly any money to spend, yet the results were pretty much instantaneous.

The whole set up of Megsons teams fills me with much confidence, and history would suggest I'm right to be concerned.
LK what if you compare the side to the one during Allardyces last 4 or 5 months?

I think we're improving on that. And thats where we were at. Shite.

I do think Megson has a point that he didn't take over a side in the top 8 he took over one bottom of the premiership. I genuinely believed we were going down. But we didn't and like it or not EVERYONE wanted Megson to keep us up nothing else. And he did that and as a bonus took us on a record breaking european run.

For me since he's been here he's done everything a reasonable fan could demand. Kept us up, gave us a great UEFA run, signed a replacement for Anelka, has begun to rebuild the squad.....

He has managed to persuade Jussi, Gardner and Davies to sign new contracts.

We are where we are. If the team is as bad as everyone makes out then why are we expected to be in the top 8? The team Megson took over was bottom and end of the day that was as much down to the players as to the manager. Megson improved on that and in my mind its hard to have expected much more. Yes at the end of the day we only JUST stayed up, but then the year before we only JUST scraped into the UEFA cup. Thats the fine line in football.

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:12 pm

not hard to persuade jussi, davo and ricky to sign up

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:15 pm

Bloody hell how did a simple Curbishley resigns turn into this......!!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:15 pm

Batman wrote:not hard to persuade jussi, davo and ricky to sign up
Maybe, maybe not.

Depends who you believe.....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:24 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:Bloody hell how did a simple Curbishley resigns turn into this......!!
Aye, with two "Megson out" threads already running. Shxt, if we should lose against Fulham we'll have to start a "Megson" forum. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:31 pm

JT wrote:Have to agree with Batman, and have to say I'm no fan of Megsons. He has done or said nothing to make me believe we are going to be anything more than survivors in this league, and I get the impression he's content with that. Fair enough, when he came in after Lee, the aim was to keep us in the league..and by the skin of our teeth we managed it- fair play. The summer was a chance to push on from that though and make us a bit more of a force in the league. From what I've seen thus far, we're going to struggle again.
It's not just us fans who have an apparent dislike for him either, I've been told from a reliable enough source that hardly any of the players get along so well with the guy, utter prick apparently. How can he possibly get the best out of the team when they arn't playing for him?!
Sorry can someone let me know if there is something of genuine interest following that, because that's were I stopped reading.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:31 pm

Fair enough for the sake of the forum (its probably my fault !) - I'll refrain from any Megson negativity until at least after the 1st 10 games !

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:36 pm

megson out!

:mrgreen:
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:37 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:Fair enough for the sake of the forum (its probably my fault !) - I'll refrain from any Megson negativity until at least after the 1st 10 games !
No need for that at all.

Just a thread that didn't cover a subject already taking up much of The Trotters forum would be ideal.

If people stop bitching about Megson, I'd have no bugger to continually go out on a limb against. :mrgreen:

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:38 pm

come on

it's a massive massive issue at the moment, with differing threads on differing issues

Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:41 pm

Batman wrote:come on

it's a massive massive issue at the moment, with differing threads on differing issues
Those being...

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:41 pm

megson

Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:43 pm

Your point well noted. I resign my request.

Sorry Batman, your way to sharp for this callsign.