Aidy Boothroyd - Sacked

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Aidy Boothroyd - Sacked

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:11 pm

SSN are reporting that Watford have sacked Aidy Boothroyd. It's not all that long ago that I for one had him down as the natural replacement for Allardyce! :shock:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:28 pm

The Voice Of Reason

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:29 pm

Odd thing to do for a club thats fecked financially, who are they going to get in? I bet Iain Dowie is rubbing his hands together.

Does show the perils of being relegated though. It was in the paper today that Alan Pardew is hanging onto his job at Charlton because they've no money to sack him.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:51 pm

I don't think we should fight 'em off too hard when they try to steal Megson.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:23 pm

I wanted him here when Megson was appointed - and would still prefer him over Megson.

Just had a very quick mooch on one of their forums and most are not happy - they think that the chairman and board are at fault and Boothroyd is the fall guy.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:30 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:I wanted him here when Megson was appointed - and would still prefer him over Megson.

Just had a very quick mooch on one of their forums and most are not happy - they think that the chairman and board are at fault and Boothroyd is the fall guy.
Why would you want Boothroyd

You've already got the real thing in Megson

Taught Boothroyd all he knows
Sto ut Serviam

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:40 pm

Did he send him a text once or something? :conf:
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:58 pm

Watford looking for a manager. As Arcade Fire once sang "keep the car running"

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:11 pm

At least Boothroyd is capable of learning......

The League table of "direct football" style managers:

Mourinho
Allardyce
Brown
Boothroyd
Megson
Dowie

????

IMHO - please discuss.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:03 pm

Anyone care to tell me what Boothroyd has done in football that makes him better than Megson?

And since when was Brown direct?

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:10 pm

Tombwfc wrote:Anyone care to tell me what Boothroyd has done in football that makes him better than Megson?

Well Bothroyd did a great job at getting Watford promoted in his first full season of his first managerial job. They were amongst the favourites to go down from the championship that season, and had a far lower budget than other championship clubs.

Apart from that he has done nothing of note - he perhaps made a better job of keeping Watford up (they were unlucky that their best player (King) got injured just after the close of the summer TW) than Megson did of keeping WBA up.

Boothroyd has not had the vitriolic abuse that Megson did at Forest and Leicester so all in all is just ahead of Megson if the two are to be compared - IMHO of course.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:57 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:Anyone care to tell me what Boothroyd has done in football that makes him better than Megson?

Well Bothroyd did a great job at getting Watford promoted in his first full season of his first managerial job. They were amongst the favourites to go down from the championship that season, and had a far lower budget than other championship clubs.

Apart from that he has done nothing of note - he perhaps made a better job of keeping Watford up (they were unlucky that their best player (King) got injured just after the close of the summer TW) than Megson did of keeping WBA up.

Boothroyd has not had the vitriolic abuse that Megson did at Forest and Leicester so all in all is just ahead of Megson if the two are to be compared - IMHO of course.
and since when was Brown direct? The six (?) games he managed us we played football. You saying hull don't? :conf:

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:02 am

Megson at West Brom - Took them up, got relegated, took them back up.
Megson at Bolton - Kept us up.

Boothroyd at Watford - Took them up, got relegated, stayed down.

Does he have vitriolic abuse from Leicester fans? The short lived Megson era looks like the glory days compared to what happened when he left. That'd be pretty daft of them if so.

It's hard to compare, but given the choice i wouldn't swap. Boothroyd can only be described as unproven, being as he's had one good season. Incidentally their points totals in the Premiership with Watford and West Brom are practically identical.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:44 am

William the White wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:

and since when was Brown direct? The six (?) games he managed us we played football. You saying hull don't? :conf:
I haven't seen too much of Hull so happy to be corrected - the bits I have seen of them my impression is that they focus a lot on set pieces and focus on putting 7 men behind the ball and rely on quick balls up to Cousin and King or to play through Geovanni. So whilst it is not solely long ball it has similarities to Allardyce football.

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:29 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
William the White wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:

I haven't seen too much of Hull so happy to be corrected - the bits I have seen of them my impression is that they focus a lot on set pieces and focus on putting 7 men behind the ball and rely on quick balls up to Cousin and King or to play through Geovanni. So whilst it is not solely long ball it has similarities to Allardyce football.
Which is three less than us, or weren't you at the Spurs game.

Hull took their game to Old Trafford on Saturday and put 3 past them. I'd have Browny back like a shot.
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

tony cunninghams willy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by tony cunninghams willy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:48 am

Quick. Put a call in to Elton John.
There's a manager who has a fantastic record at Championship level currently managing a bottom three premier league side.
He'd do a great job for Watford.
Let's get Elton and Phil having a tug of war over Megson.
Elton's rich, he can pay the compensation.
Plus one massive bonus for Megson at Watford - Rasiak's already there!!!!

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:29 pm

enfieldwhite wrote:

Hull took their game to Old Trafford on Saturday and put 3 past them. I'd have Browny back like a shot.
I agree. I have been impressed with Browny this season - he looks every inch a Prem manager, and his team does seem to have options - whilst having a real go. People say the market has changed and you need to spend £5m to get a decent player these days, but he got Geovanni on a free, Cousin (£3m), King (loan), Zayette (loan) Mcshane (£1.5m), Mendy (free), all of whom have been key players for them, and for less than the cost of Muamba. Excellent business - the type we used to do.

potter1989bwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by potter1989bwfc » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:49 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
enfieldwhite wrote:

I agree. I have been impressed with Browny this season - he looks every inch a Prem manager, and his team does seem to have options - whilst having a real go. People say the market has changed and you need to spend £5m to get a decent player these days, but he got Geovanni on a free, Cousin (£3m), King (loan), Zayette (loan) Mcshane (£1.5m), Mendy (free), all of whom have been key players for them, and for less than the cost of Muamba. Excellent business - the type we used to do.
on loan aint he ?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:29 am

Re: Hull

So if managers don't focus play on passing around the back four into a holding midfielder and back to a defender again for 30 minutes, they're "Direct"??

ThePosterFormerlyKnownAs
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ThePosterFormerlyKnownAs » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:44 pm

potter1989bwfc wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
enfieldwhite wrote:

on loan aint he ?
Yes. But the £1.5M is the 'agreed' price for them to buy him off us at the end of the season. £1.5M too much.