Religion rears it's ugly head in Glasgow again.....

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Religion rears it's ugly head in Glasgow again.....

Post by fatshaft » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:00 pm

Apparently god's hand is in town or something? :arse:

Actually, in all seriousness, I'm sick to the fecking back teeth of reading, seeing and hearing about the hand of fecking god, it was 22 years ago ffs. You won a world cup with a goal that never was, maybe you know, karma and all that.

(I'm mainly ranting at the press btw, not you fine English fellows on this forum ) :mrgreen:

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Religion rears it's ugly head in Glasgow again.....

Post by enfieldwhite » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:13 pm

fatshaft wrote:Apparently god's hand is in town or something? :arse:

Actually, in all seriousness, I'm sick to the fecking back teeth of reading, seeing and hearing about the hand of fecking god, it was 22 years ago ffs. You won a world cup with a goal that never was, maybe you know, karma and all that.

(I'm mainly ranting at the press btw, not you fine English fellows on this forum ) :mrgreen:
Aye. Your lot sacked York, but you still bang on about Longshanks in your 'National Anthem' and that was a damn site more than 22 years ago.

No offence, like :wink:
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:32 pm

enfieldwhite wrote:

Aye. Your lot sacked York, but you still bang on about Longshanks in your 'National Anthem' and that was a damn site more than 22 years ago.

Their national anthem?

That'd be the British national anthem, wouldn't it?

Why do we never sing the second verse anymore? You know, that whole bit about "Rebellious Scots to crush...."
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:34 pm

enfieldwhite wrote:

A very valid point, enfield. One minor correction - the 'proud Edward' in Scots Wha Hae is Edward II, not Longshanks his father. Of course those Scots now get their view of history from the noted Anglophile Mel Gibson.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:35 pm

Anglophobe, surely? Or was it with one of these :wink: ?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:36 pm

Puskas wrote:
enfieldwhite wrote:

Their national anthem?

That'd be the British national anthem, wouldn't it?

Why do we never sing the second verse anymore? You know, that whole bit about "Rebellious Scots to crush...."
I mean 'Flower of Scotland'

Flower of Scotland - Original Lyrics
O Flower of Scotland,
When will we see
Your like again?
That fought and died for
Your wee bit hill and glen,
And stood against him,
King Edward's Army,
And sent him homeward
Tae think again.

The hills are bare now,
And autumn leaves lie thick and still
O'er land that is lost now,
Which those so dearly held,
And stood against him,
Proud Edward's Army,
And sent him homeward
Tae think again.

Those days are past now,
And in the past
They must remain,
But we can still rise now,
And be the nation again
That stood against him,
Proud Edward's Army,
And sent him homeward
Tae think again.

Unofficial National Anthem

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:38 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Anglophobe, surely? Or was it with one of these :wink: ?
Perhaps I should have [sarc] Anglophile [/sarc] but I thought it fairly obvious for anyone who had seen the Patriot, Braveheart, etc.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:45 pm

I don't watch Mel Gibson films....mostly cos they're sh*t, but you've given me another good reason not to bother :D

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:47 pm

Bring back Hadrians wall.

England should charge an extra tax for all the Scotish imports living in our green and pleasent land.
The Scots may have won the odd battle we won the war!!!
Cut em off with their own cash and it will be Iceland all over again!

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:58 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
enfieldwhite wrote:

A very valid point, enfield. One minor correction - the 'proud Edward' in Scots Wha Hae is Edward II, not Longshanks his father. Of course those Scots now get their view of history from the noted Anglophile Mel Gibson.
Erm, no we don't. Flower of Scotland pre-dates Braveheart by a number of years

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:13 pm

Flower of Scotland, nice tune (shite flower by the way !! ... a THISTLE !?!?! What's all THAT about ???).

As I have to ask, however ... is Scotland's so fecking marvelous how come so many of you live down here ??
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:28 pm

bobo the clown wrote: As I have to ask, however ... is Scotland's so fecking marvelous how come so many of you live down here ??
It's to balance up those of us that live up there, otherwise the whole island will tip over and sink (a bit like that pleasure boat does when the Walker's lorry goes past).

That said, I'm sunning myself in Florida at the moment.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:30 pm

fatshaft wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
enfieldwhite wrote:

Erm, no we don't. Flower of Scotland pre-dates Braveheart by a number of years
All right, (since I was not aware of which anthem enfield may have been referring to) 'Proud Edward' in 'Flower of Scotland' (a term Roy Williamson stole from Robert Burns and 'Scots Wha Hae') refers to Edward II, not his father 'Longshanks'. None of which has anything to do with the fact that Braveheart gives a distorted and fallacious view of Wallace and Longshanks (not to mention Isabella), which some weak-minded individuals accept as factual. :wink:

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:40 pm

For a start, I don't believe the Scots wore woad at that time.

Quite right, to be honest. It's the woad to wuin.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:47 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Flower of Scotland, nice tune (shite flower by the way !! ... a THISTLE !?!?! What's all THAT about ???).

As I have to ask, however ... is Scotland's so fecking marvelous how come so many of you live down here ??
I get asked the same about Bolton.

I answer I am a missionary for all things Bolton including the Football (founder members of the English League), Cuisine (anything you can slip between two slices of bread, especially pastry based products) Sport (Reebok) and Industry (Samuel Crompton and the Lever Brothers)

Spread the word, Brothers, 'allelujah! :mrgreen:

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:47 pm

I hope you haven't lost your cloakroom ticket, Puskas. :wink:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:55 pm

Puskas wrote:For a start, I don't believe the Scots wore woad at that time.

While mentioned to set the stage for an excruciating pun, you are probably correct. The film had so many errors that lengthy articles have been written by historians on the matter. For example see this site which states "As the content of the film will eventually make clear, the narrator/film doesn't actually tell us of William Wallace. Instead, it tells of us some fantasy character in a fantasy world who coincidentally share's Wallace's name" and lists 18 errors in the first two minutes of the film.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:49 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Puskas wrote:For a start, I don't believe the Scots wore woad at that time.

While mentioned to set the stage for an excruciating pun, you are probably correct. The film had so many errors that lengthy articles have been written by historians on the matter. For example see this site which states "As the content of the film will eventually make clear, the narrator/film doesn't actually tell us of William Wallace. Instead, it tells of us some fantasy character in a fantasy world who coincidentally share's Wallace's name" and lists 18 errors in the first two minutes of the film.
Oh there's no doubt it's a factually horrendous film. I well remember as well Gibson being interviewed for BBC Scotland news on exiting the the Oscars with his trophy. The girl asked him what message he had for the Scots who were so proud of 'their' movie. Gibson's reply was along the lines of - while pointing at the eyebrow of the Oscar trophy - "yes congrats to Scotland, you earned about this much of the Oscar". What a totally ungracious wank.

Little Green Man wrote:
bobo the clown wrote: As I have to ask, however ... is Scotland's so fecking marvelous how come so many of you live down here ??
It's to balance up those of us that live up there, otherwise the whole island will tip over and sink (a bit like that pleasure boat does when the Walker's lorry goes past).

That said, I'm sunning myself in Florida at the moment.
Very true that there are a helluva lot of English in Scotland too, particularly in Aberdeen area, and to a lesser extent Edinburgh as well. You'll find though it's all about jobs, limited opportunities north of the border means we have to travel to get work. Also those of us in national companies often have little choice but to move to get on, certainly what happened with me, although in my defence I ended up in the Isle of Man, getting to England was a mistake obviously :mrgreen:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:59 pm

I spent a lot of time 40-50 years ago odding around Scotland on various vacations (most often in Galloway). I loved the country, its history and the people I met, although I avoided the large urban areas. However, I get the impression that the Scotland I knew may have vanished. especially in regard to politics and the welcome that might be accorded to Sassenachs these days.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:05 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:I spent a lot of time 40-50 years ago odding around Scotland on various vacations (most often in Galloway). I loved the country, its history and the people I met, although I avoided the large urban areas. However, I get the impression that the Scotland I knew may have vanished. especially in regard to politics and the welcome that might be accorded to Sassenachs these days.
I'd be surprised MW. And even more so as you'll undoubtedly have a Canadian twang. In fact there's more chance of you being confused for American and getting some grief for that.

One thing though, if you're called Campbell, visiting the highlands to this day isn't the best of ideas, I was playing with a guy from my golf club, as English as they come, and he's in some bar up in the Highlands - south of Inverness - and he's getting along fine until someone discovers that he was called Campbell, apparently he wasn't the most popular of chaps thereafter.